@Seton Hall Game Thread

• 343 replies
Re: @Seton Hall Game Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Two observations on last night:

1) This team has a very bad habit of playing loose at both ends of the floor against teams they think are inferior. They played last night like they play in Carnesecca against Longwood State...there's a complete attitude difference. Players take shots they wouldn't normally take against better teams, or take chances with passes, or guys bring up the ball who normally wouldn't...all because they think hey, we'll get it back later. They did all of those things last night after noticeably NOT doing them over the past month or so. Thankfully it didn't lead to a bad loss, and hopefuly they wont do it against teams like DePaul and Butler. Cannot afford any bad losses now.

2) Cant believe there's not more love for 'Sheeds sick dunk last night. Not that blowing by Sina is any great accomplishment, but Jesus H, did he explode off the floor. That kind of athleticism to go with his feel and vision...wow. Just, wow.

Point #1 right on the money!

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
The story of Phil Greene tonight. He had 4 three point attempts and the two he made were set catch and shoot shots. The other 2 were off the bounce and were misses.

One of them he got fooled by the old fake student shot clock count trick.  He shot a beyond Nba range rushed 3 with 7 seconds left because he thought the clock was expiring.

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »
I wish Dom would shoot the three occasionally. He's not THAT bad of a shooter to the point where he can't shoot a wide open 3.

I don't. I think one of Dom's best assets is that he plays to his strength 15 ft and in.

when he pumpfakes a wide open three only to dribble into a defender and take a contested 2?

He shoots 11% from 3 so any time he doesn't shoot it from 3 I'm happy. He does however make 50% of his 2 point attempts and he's 2nd on the team in assists.

The 11% isn't a true indicator of his 3pt stroke. I would say at least half of those are late shot clock heaves, or end of half heaves. Rareley does he shoot a wide open set 3pt shoot and he has many opportunities to do so.

DOM has no outside shot period.....form is awful.....shot is flat.  Anyone familiar with the game should recognize this after watching him a few games.  Go to the hoop DOM, you are the strongest driver on the team . Should never be put in a position to shoot outside at the end of a clock....get it to any guard.  That being said, stuff happens.

The defense plays 5 ft off of him because they know he won't shoot. That makes it so he has no shot of driving the ball. Bottom line, your SF needs to be able to take a wide open 3 pointer, if only to force defenders to defend him on the perimeter. When Dom is out there, he limits our offense severely and I don't think his shooting stroke is that bad.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:12:59 PM by redstorm212 »

Moose

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2014, 02:13:20 PM »
The story of Phil Greene tonight. He had 4 three point attempts and the two he made were set catch and shoot shots. The other 2 were off the bounce and were misses.

One of them he got fooled by the old fake student shot clock count trick.  He shot a beyond Nba range rushed 3 with 7 seconds left because he thought the clock was expiring.

Always an excuse…… :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:13:44 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »

Not many excuses needed for a player shooting a ridiculously high 41%.   :)

Moose

« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »

Not many excuses needed for a player shooting a ridiculously high 41%.   :)

I want to lock you and him in a room and show you a 2 tapes worth of jumpshots.  Case in point the first two he took last night where he stepped into the shot.  As opposed to the other which was forced regardless of how much time 3 fans in attendance might have been chanting.

Carry on!

boo3

« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
It's not about Phil!

He played his role last night and did it well.  When he gets the ball in the flow and steps into his shot, I have confidence it's going on. 

Only time I cringe is when he's leading a break.  He and Dom are fast break nightmares with rock in their hands.

« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
Phil Greene just got the short end of the stick from this fan base because he wasn't a Top 100 player.  A lot of people in this fan base let high school evaluators who have most likely never even seen most of these kids play determine if they are good or not.  Branch was so misevaluated and I think actually cracked the Top 50 and this fan base idolizes him.  Greene has been a productive player for 3 years for this team but since he was unrated he stinks.  It is very comical at the lack of basketball knowledge some people in here have.  Just because you may have graduated from St John's and follow the team doesn't mean you are astute to the game.  Branch was handed the keys to the car last year and was given every opportunity to run this team and failed miserably.  I cannot name another guard in the country who gets PT who actually has a worse shot than this guy.  He is a flashy player who looks great every once in a while but his game has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese.

Moose

« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Keys to the car?  He was 7th in the team in average minutes last year.  Mr Underdog Non Top 100 player averaged 33 mpg to Branch's 23 mpg.  The only players that played significant roles last year who averaged less minutes than Branch were Amir (different position) and Marco (different position).  Who else should have played more last year considering there was no other PG on the roster.

You can't name a guy who gets so much PT and has a worse shot?  Well last year Greene and Branch had the same shooting %.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:37:28 PM by Moose »

jr49

« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
You're picking on Dom and I get that but the whole team stands there when a shot goes up.  Its a collaborative effort or lack thereof to our pitiful rebounding.

Yeah, but the whole team doesn't have Pointer's skill set and physical gifts. He could be a great lunch pail player: he could do for this team what Willie Glass did for his. He doesn't want to. He wants to shoot threes and block shots and double pump lay ups. He's a selfish player, and dumb.
Selfish and dumb!! You a fine writer with a not so nice nasty to ya.

paultzman

« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »
Keys to the car?  He was 7th in the team in average minutes last year.  Mr Underdog Non Top 100 player averaged 33 mpg to Branch's 23 mpg.  The only players that played significant roles last year who averaged less minutes than Branch were Amir (different position) and Marco (different position).  Who else should have played more last year considering there was no other PG on the roster.

You can't name a guy who gets so much PT and has a worse shot?  Well last year Greene and Branch had the same shooting %.

Nice! Like your Avi by the way!

« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »

Nice! Like your Avi by the way!

Honestly your avi makes me puke.  I bet he just got a layup over some 17 year old and he is doing a mini flex.  He is a bad dude.

« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
Well last year Greene and Branch had the same shooting %.

Do not compare Greene to Branch because Greene is a much better ballplayer.  No comparison what so ever. 

Moose

« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »
Well last year Greene and Branch had the same shooting %.

Do not compare Greene to Branch because Greene is a much better ballplayer.  No comparison what so ever. 

Well you loved the Harrison stats so much I felt the need to inject some stats into this comparison as well

« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »
+1

I am surprised with how cool you are that you didn't add 420 to the end of your screen name.  I guess the next screen name you make you can spruce it up a bit by putting 420 at the end to make chronicbucks420.  Could you imagine

boo3

« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
"He is a bad dude."

Enlighten us as to why you think Orlando Sanchez is a "bad dude"....

« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
What the heck are you talking about Moose???  What stats?

That they shot the same last year?????

Are you serious there is no comparison between Greene as a shooter and Branch.  End of conversation.  Its like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Hyundai.  There would be nothing to compare.

boo3

« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
 This winning streak is rapidly causing Needs2Go fragile psyche to deteriorate at an incredible pace.....Completely normal for the Storm's "biggest fan on here"... 

Winning streaks usually cause superfans to be in a good mood, praise the players and coaches on their favorite team, etc.... Not this superfan ladies and gents... He's special....like short bus special..

Moose

« Reply #318 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
What the heck are you talking about Moose???  What stats?

That they shot the same last year?????

Are you serious there is no comparison between Greene as a shooter and Branch.  End of conversation.  Its like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Hyundai.  There would be nothing to compare.

Why do I bother responding.  You said "I cannot name another guard in the country who gets PT who actually has a worse shot than this guy".  And then I pointed out they shot the same last year.  I didn't bother to mention that Branch has a higher shooting % this year than Greene figuring I'd let you let the argument die.  But since you brought it up there you go.

I personally don't care much for either player.  They are both Hyundai's to me.  If I had to choose I choose Branch because he actually will penetrate with the ball.

« Reply #319 on: February 14, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
Major weakness for Lavin's teams have been communicating on switches. We left Sina wide open late in the game for a top of key 3. It rattled in, out and back in. No way in that situation we should be that messy on defense. Can't leave capable shooters wide open because of confusion on a ball screen, especially when a kid like Sina can't hurt you doing anything else.

Overall just really bad sloppy defense last night most of the game. Have to clean it up for Sunday.
Major weakness for Lavin's teams have been communicating on switches. We left Sina wide open late in the game for a top of key 3. It rattled in, out and back in. No way in that situation we should be that messy on defense. Can't leave capable shooters wide open because of confusion on a ball screen, especially when a kid like Sina can't hurt you doing anything else.

Overall just really bad sloppy defense last night most of the game. Have to clean it up for Sunday.

Could not agree more, I've been screaming about this for weeks. If I was the opposing coach I would screen us to death, I don't any communication when a screen is coming, or once it's there about switching or staying. It's like a total guessing game and it has to be fixed.