Georgetown Game 2

• 127 replies
Re: Georgetown Game 2
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2014, 11:46:45 PM »
Just back and want to say to all the couch potatoes who showed up tonight the Garden was alive with SJU fans--it was a good feeling and you folks made it a fun place to be' a lot of on your feet cheering.   BUT we still had about 9,000 empty seats.  The team was really appreciative to the support that was there.  We still have 3 more games to go at MSG--to those that stayed home, try to come out for a game before the end of the season--this team is giving its all and deserves your vocal support.
Seconded, Harrison was just taking it in those closing 30 seconds, reminded me of the Pitt game with the Hardy team,
It was well deserved for the way they're playing.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2014, 11:51:24 PM »
Can anyone remember the last time we blew out GTown? I think maybe 1993, during Mahoney's first season. Othella Harrington was the #1 ranked recruit in the nation. He was a freshman.

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2014, 11:53:01 PM »
I think we blew them out at MSG during Felipe's freshman year.  I remember the game because our team disappointed that year, but had some flashes where they played really well, like against the Gtown team.  In fact, I recall Dickie V saying on a subsequent broadcast that he couldn't understand how a team with St. John's talent was so inconsistent.

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
I think something that may be overlooked during this stretch is the commitment to defense by one, Jakarr Sampson.  Seriously...His D has been off the charts ( Rothstein style)..

No reason why he shouldn't be an elite defender.  I don't know who is responsible for getting through to him, but I hope he keeps it up.
His D has been unbelievable during this stretch, something I didn't even consider with his game, and overall the teams' D has been an A+.

redslope

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
Can anyone remember the last time we blew out GTown? I think maybe 1993, during Mahoney's first season. Othella Harrington was the #1 ranked recruit in the nation. He was a freshman.
This was the biggest MSG margin of victory over Gtown in the Big East era. 

As to being bored during the game by the extent of the lead--I have sat through too many beatdowns by them over the years that the differential could never be too big--I was yelling from start to finish
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:57:46 PM by redslope »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2014, 11:59:31 PM »

It's retro 90s month. We beat Seton Hall for te first time since the 90s, we crushed Georgetown since the 90s, let's see what else we can bring back...
Cougar O' Malley

dR3w

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2014, 11:59:55 PM »
Do you think the team will sniff a vote in either poll?

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
I don't think we're there yet.  Go 2-0 this coming week and then I think we are close to top 25.

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2014, 01:20:38 AM »

desco80

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2014, 01:54:00 AM »
The crowd wasn't unbelievable , but it was overwhelmingly pro-SJU which isn't a guarantee when we play Georgetown.   
Also, anecdotal evidence of the enthusiasm for this program was clearly evident after the game .... I can't remember the last time there was a line of at johns fans waiting to get into a bar as there was post game at Stout.    Good feeling around the garden tonight.   

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
I was at the Garden last nite and it was good to see the team play so well for long periods of time. The crowd was into it and was rewarded after so many beatdowns from the Hoyas.  I felt a little bit of satisfaction watching their not so smug fans leaving early.  It got a little interesting in the second half when the margin got down to 7 points, but this team, which would have folded earlier in the season has learned to deal with adversity and pulled away at that point. They are beginning to remind me of the old SJU teams that came out and took over the second half of games.

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »
I have been at multiple Gtown-SJU games over the years, and this was the worst showing by the Hoya faithful.  Maybe there were more of them in attendance and they were quiet because the way the game played out.  And I'm sure the timing impacted attendance as well.  But I get the sense that Gtown's turnout is down this year across-the-board, based on a few of their home games I saw this year on TV.

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
From heartbreakers to soaring hearts.
Exactly one month after St. John’s stumbled to an 0-5 mark to open Big East play, the Red Storm extended its winning streak to five games with a wire-to-wire, 82-60, shellacking of Georgetown Sunday night before a fired-up crowd of 10,340 at the Garden.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/red-hot-red-storm-win-row-blow-georgetown-82-60-article-1.1616734#ixzz2tap2U9Td

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
Throughout the course of its march back to respectability in the Big East, St. John’s came to rely on two numbers.

The first is 60, which is the name of a daily practice drill passed down from the special assistant Gene Keady, who inherited it from Eddie Sutton, who learned it from Hank Iba — a ball-control and passing exercise that rewards sound decisions and fundamentals. A point is awarded for each successful pass, 5 points for a layup, 5 points for every foul. There is no dribbling. First team to 60 points wins.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/17/sports/ncaabasketball/well-conditioned-st-johns-runs-georgetown-out-of-the-garden.html?_r=0

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Rysheed Jordan electrified the Madison Square Garden crowd at the start. D’Angelo Harrison gave them a reason to celebrate later.
Together, the two dynamic guards led St. John’s to yet another impressive victory, a commanding 82-60 rout of Georgetown, the Johnnies’ nemesis which had won six straight contests between the rivals before Sunday night’s domination.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/16/johnnies-keep-rolling-dump-georgetown/

boo3

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
Some big time recruits were at the game last night also.. Govan and Brisco... they had to like what they saw...All around great night...Govan says STJ is coming at him hard now..

#february

Foad

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »

Maybe a couple of first place votes in the women's D1 poll.

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2014, 12:25:43 PM »
I think something that may be overlooked during this stretch is the commitment to defense by one, Jakarr Sampson.  Seriously...His D has been off the charts ( Rothstein style)..

No reason why he shouldn't be an elite defender.  I don't know who is responsible for getting through to him, but I hope he keeps it up.

Whitesell  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:26:26 PM by Redstormy80 »

tnice

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »
The crowd wasn't unbelievable , but it was overwhelmingly pro-SJU which isn't a guarantee when we play Georgetown.   

I didn't want to be the one to kill the buzz, but this is right on the money. The students were loud and G'town was quiet, but the place was not rocking. I know this is dead horse territory, but the people who sit next to me are an early sixties couple who literally never make a sound during the game. In front of me last night were three women in their late 60's/early seventies ( who, in fairness, were getting their drink on a bit but didn't make much noise either), and in front of them were four more people in their sixties. I'm no Cameron Crazy, but I get into it..and I probably would be louder if the people in front of me didn't look like they were knitting sweaters. OK, rant over.

My one observation of the night: G'town, with all their screening and off ball movement, did not get one back door layup or screen away from the ball layup. Not one. You can talk all you want about the improvement of individual players or Lavin's rotation, but to me the single biggest difference in this team is the commitment to defend. They were suffocating last night. G'town looked like they were playing at a different speed...because they were.