Looking ahead

• 175 replies
Looking ahead
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:00:51 AM »
Lets assume we can beat DePaul @ home, that will make in my opinion the game @ Marquette the biggest game of the season.  If we can get a big win on the road and get to 20 wins, I really think we will have a great showing in the BE tournament.  However if we lose, I see us maybe winning one.  The next 10 days are the most important that Lavin has had in his 4 years as coach.  He needs to get these kids back on the right track and forget the past 2 games. 

Harrison needs to forget Xaviar and look to put up big numbers next 2 games.  This team is down right now, but that can change with two big wins in the next week and a half.

Re: Looking ahead
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »
Dude......its over...NIT bound....green took too many shots. Remindjng me of the game jkhn starks had vs houston years back. No one could guard goofy rambus/oestertag mix.  Who schooled us like a white shaq. Harrison took the night off.  Dom was Dom. Gift was a gift for Xavier. Jordan gets a pass. Sanchez only person who showed up. He should have more kids. Obekba as expected. No one could hit a shot the last 10000 min it seemed.  All this nonsense about winning the be tourny needs to be put away. We are one and done in the be tourney. Will be shocked to get 2 wins and a win @ marq...and lavin? I'll let foad explain. As bad as Xavier was playing prior to this game...our team was wayyy overconfident as this board was. Did we expect Xavier to come to msg and take a dump at center court and nap at halftime? 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:33:42 AM by buckeyestorm »

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
Disagree it's over...    we need to win last 2 and win at least 1 game in the BET...     we will be on the bubble but it's not over...

Foad

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
This thread is premature. It's too early to look ahead to next year, there's still the NIT to play.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
The only bubbles I see is the ones I make sitting in the bathtub.

We needed three of the final four games.   We spit the bit on the first two.  We're not winning the BET.  We haven't in a quarter century.  I thought the decline of the conference to mid-major might make a difference with this team this year and next.  It won't. 

Stick a fork in this choke special.

desco80

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
The only bubbles I see is the ones I make sitting in the bathtub.

I thought the decline of the conference to mid-major might make a difference with this team this year and next.  It won't. 

What is your obsession with conference labels?     That's all you ever harp on post about, "major v midmajor".    Is that how you qualify success?   ESPN listing your team's conference among the "majors" on Selection Sunday?   
Xavier has been a midmajor forever, and yet 3/4 of the highmajor schools would trade places with them in a heartbeat if it meant they could be as successful as XU has been.   

The new conference makes plenty of money, the programs in it are stable, and recruits are choosing BE schools in high numbers... there is nothing on the conference level that is holding St Johns back, or making it any easier.      Success is all relative.    A good year in the old big east may have been being in the top 4 or 5, now in the new conference it means finishing top 3.     So what, who cares?

The label is irrelevant, and I think you're the only one stuck in 2005 when conference affiliation mattered.   Now every game is on tv , exposure is no longer an issue, and so many little known teams have had success in the tournament that Witchita and San Diego State are being talked about as much as Michigan and North Carolina.   Everyone in the country knows who the good teams are by February and it doesn't matter if they're in the MAC or the Big 10.     That wasn't true 10 years ago.   

The only label I care about is whether the team is "good" or "bad".

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Considering Lunardi still has in, we aren't as far off as many of us thought

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
This thread is premature. It's too early to look ahead to next year, there's still the NIT to play.

Not looking to next year, looking towards next 2 weeks.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
I'm confident we can beat DePaul which will make for an exciting, meaningful and challenging finale in Wisconsin. 

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
I'm confident we can beat DePaul which will make for an exciting, meaningful and challenging finale in Wisconsin. 

If we can't beat DePaul they might as well put the balls away this year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »

Would make for a fun few days on the message boards though!

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »

Would make for a fun few days on the message boards though!

For a non moderator sure :)

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
If we win the NIT what is the over under for posters putting us in the final four next year?

Moose

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »
If we win the NIT what is the over under for posters putting us in the final four next year?

I'd turn down an NIT invite.  Esherick style.

hnk

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
If we make the NIT, I'll be looking forward to it.  And no one should count on us automatically beating DePaul....they have a couple of really, really good players.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »
If we make the NIT, I'll be looking forward to it.  And no one should count on us automatically beating DePaul....they have a couple of really, really good players.

With the TALENT we have on THIS team we should automatically beat DePaul.
But as we have seen with your client we can easily lose to a team like DePaul.

uwsfan

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
The only thing St. Johns fans have to look forward to is more dissapointment.

This team will be in the NIT this year. They will not win more than one game in the BE tourney.

They will be in the NIT next year as well, despite being one of the oldest teams  in the nation. And Lavins apologists will find some stupid spin on why it isnt really his fault as always.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:25:31 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
The eternal question: would you rather lose in the first round of the NCAA or win the NIT?

ras

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

+1     DePaul isn't automatic. But, we are still in the bubble discussion. If we loose to DePaul the bubble will be officially burst.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:28:45 PM by ras »

ras

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
The eternal question: would you rather lose in the first round of the NCAA or win the NIT?
lose in NCAA.