Jordan not playing

• 61 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Jordan not playing
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
I think we're reading too much into this.  Here's an 18 year old kid who's gone through a string of tragedies in his life.  If  I had events like this occur when I was his age, I don't think i could have handled it at all.  Let alone play ball!  I believe Jordan sitting was about Lavin caring more about the kid then winning the game, which I support. 

I think it was a combination of Lavin being with Jordan for the funeral and possibly seeing how the young man was handling it and the fact we were playing DePaul. I only say that because he played in the Xavier game.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 09:04:23 PM »
Lavin went with him to Phili for the funeral?  Say what you want about his coaching or recruiting (good or bad),  the guy really cares about his players. 

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
Lavin went with him to Phili for the funeral?  Say what you want about his coaching or recruiting (good or bad),  the guy really cares about his players. 

Nah, clearly it's part of some diabolical plan.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »

Also went to Chicago with Phil when his friend passed.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:55 AM »
Only coach to ever do so!

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 07:09:25 AM »

Another one of those posts where I just have to ask: Why was it necessary?

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 07:24:02 AM »

thank you, why this is being discussed is questionable.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »

If it wasn't for the original and allegedly unnecessary post we would have been denied your trenchant follow up observation that the original post was unnecessary. What good is a punch line is there's no one there to set it up? You'd be throwing cream pies into the abyss. You should be thanking the OP for allowing you the opportunity to condescend to him.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if Lavin is a head case.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »

Welcome to the dark side.

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:08 AM »

6 days until next game. That is a lot of potential eye rolls from Harrison to prove your theory.  :)

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »

WHOAAAAAAAAA!
Leo was awful and supposedly Jim Carroll was a really good basketball player. I agree!  Film also has Marky Mark,who I think is a good actor , but not good enough to play someone who can dunk and play for ST john's at 5-5. Well at least not the dunking part anyway.
HOWEVER, Robbie Benson was nasty and despite being frail, I put him up with Ray Allen, the Blue Chips guys and the Hoosiers players as the best basketball player/ actor in the history of basketball movies!!!!!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:01:51 AM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »

WHOAAAAAAAAA!
Leo was awful and supposedly Jim Carroll was a really good basketball player. I agree!  Film also has Marky Mark,who I think is a good actor , but not good enough to play someone who can dunk and play for ST john's at 5-5. Well at least not the dunking part anyway.
HOWEVER, Robbie Benson was nasty and despite being frail, I put him up with Ray Allen, the Blue Chips guys and the Hoosires players as the best basketball player/ actor in the history of basketball movies!!!!!

Come on now. Will Ferrell was a more realistic on screen basketball player than Robbie Benson.

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »

WHOAAAAAAAAA!
HOWEVER, Robbie Benson was nasty and despite being frail, I put him up with Ray Allen, the Blue Chips guys and the Hoosiers players as the best basketball player/ actor in the history of basketball movies!!!!!

Come on now. Will Ferrell was a more realistic on screen basketball player than Robbie Benson.

When is the last time you watched? Watch again and I bet you change your mind.
Nice handle and threw pretty passes. I think you are remembering how he looked and Annette O'Toole's rack and not his game.

desco80

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
I think Lavin is a drama queen.   He's not diabolical, he's not trying to build a scapegoat to fall back on, I just think he makes things more turbulent than they need be sometimes.      He clearly cares for his players, but sometimes this program resembles the girlfriend who gets anxious when you go more than a month without an argument.   

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »

WHOAAAAAAAAA!

When is the last time you watched? Watch again and I bet you change your mind.
Nice handle and threw pretty passes. I think you are remembering how he looked and Annette O'Toole's rack and not his game.
Plus the way Benson looked at the sprinklers in his "job."  lol

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »
Is he going to play vs.  Marquette?

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

For Fun's theory to be proved correct one of Harrison, Jordan, Obepka or Sampson will not play for one reason or another. If Greene were to sit that would totally blow Fun's theory out of the water.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »

For Fun's theory to be proved correct one of Harrison, Jordan, Obepka or Sampson will not play for one reason or another. If Greene were to sit that would totally blow Fun's theory out of the water.

I thought he was talking about Robbie Benson.

There's already enough evidence to show Lavin's psychological pathologies: similar behavior going all the way back to UCLA. Only the willfully blind ignore 20 years worth of evidence. Did you notice on the CBS broadcast where someone (Szerbiak?) noted that Lavin likes to create situations where his players backs are to the wall so that they are forced to rise to the occasion. That's the charitable version. Marquette seems to me more a situation where he over compensates by over-coaching. Don't be surprised to see him come out in his Jenny McCarthy glasses.

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »

I thought he was talking about Robbie Benson.

There's already enough evidence to show Lavin's psychological pathologies: similar behavior going all the way back to UCLA. Only the willfully blind ignore 20 years worth of evidence. Did you notice on the CBS broadcast where someone (Szerbiak?) noted that Lavin likes to create situations where his players backs are to the wall so that they are forced to rise to the occasion. That's the charitable version. Marquette seems to me more a situation where he over compensates by over-coaching. Don't be surprised to see him come out in his Jenny McCarthy glasses.

I agree 100% about the over compensating coaching. As far as the evil plan, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory but it does seem a bit of a reach. If however one of the "core four" guys do not play next game for any reason you might change my mind.

All time actor / basketball player team
C Warren Coolidge-White Shadow
F Everett Flatch-Hoosiers
G Jimmy Chitwood-Hoosiers
G Henry Steele(Benson)-One on One
G Kyle Watson-Above the Rim
Bench
Rade Butcher-Hoosiers
Merle-Hoosiers
Ben Meechum-The Great Santini. Also nicest golf swing