Showtime on Broadway!

• 5 replies
Showtime on Broadway!
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
No doubt that was some of the most entertaining college basketball ever seen around these parts:

- 14 blocks is ridiculous!  Many were not garden variety and atypically the most spectacular were not by Oblockpa.  To Sir had two that were athletic as all hell, came at crucial moments and brought back fond memories of Postell and Horne.  DR's stonewall block was equally spectacular.  Double G had some nice ones too.  Even the square got in the act.  That's fun basketball!

- DUNKin Donuts!  DR had a length of the court throwdown that had the announcers marveling at what our 6' 9" power forward can do in the open court. Sir with Love had a similar long distance jam.  Then the cherry on top was when our shortest player, Rectangle,  stole the ball at half court and was Well above the rim for a high flying tomahawk jam.  Gotta love when your smallest player can do that!

- Aggie and the Pistol?  Yes, they do love g*d and there guns down in Texas.  The Aggie had a beautiful behind the back no look assist that was Maravichesque.  Not my description.

- Bigs that can dance!  Oblockpa had the ball at the 3 point line with the shot clock running down.  Cross over dribble takes the ball to the basket goes up and under and delivers a beautiful assist for the bucket.  99 out of 100 centers surveyed travel on that play.  Our other 6ft. 9 inch player, DR, had several decisive moves to the basket that left the announcers ooooing and awwwing!

- Ball movement and pretty play!  We had a plethora of possessions featuring scintillatingly unselfish passing. Sometimes without even a dribble. Teamwork capital T, effective screening and hot potato passing.  Announcers were duly impressed with our point play minus the savior.  We scored 19 free throws for a grand total of 73 points.  Meaning we scored only 24 baskets.  Seemingly half of them were highlight reel worthy.

- Then there were 3'lo!  Our star was fantastic and awful all in one day.  Scored a ton and turned the ball over in an amazing variety of ways.  He was like a Ferrari smashing a Maserati.  You couldn't look away.

Win ugly???? Poppycock!

There were 35 great minutes by us out there yesterday!

I really enjoyed that game.  I'm sure those in attendance and watching at home did as well.

Disclaimers:
1) DePaul is not good and missing they're best player.
2) DePaul is still trying to comprehend even the most rudimentary of defensive principles.
3) We took our foot of the gas, the pedal off the metal, lacked killer instinct and mentally lapsed with about 8 minutes to go (add In any other cliché you like).  Terrible turnovers and sloppy play with our best player more than leading the charge.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:46:00 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Showtime on Broadway!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:49:56 PM »
I actually don't think Depaul is that bad.  Their half court D is pretty bad but their press gave us a lot of trouble.  Early in the game, Garrett passed up several open jumpers, including some from 3.  In the second half, he starting taking them and helped fuel their comeback.  Their other guard hit several from long range.  They've also played some other teams in the conference tough, but lost in the end (incl. Creighton).  Frankly, we were lucky that they didn't have Melvin.

Foad

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »
I actually don't think Depaul is that bad.

Agree. Best 11-19 team in the history of sports. A couple of lucky bounces and they'd easily be 4-13 in conference.

redslope

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
Carmine--topic was a disappointment--I thought the real "Showtime" Hill landed a part in a Broadway play--that would have been something ;)

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
True, in 2nd half I found myself saying: "Self, Lavin reminds me of Riley, Phil Greene reminds me of Byron Scott, Branch = Norm Nixon, Harrison = Magic and Obepka= Kareem."
I def wasn't saying:" I hope we get out of here with a win against an 11-19 team so that we keep hope alive for an 11 seed in the NCAA tourney."
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:14:47 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
I actually don't think Depaul is that bad.

Agree. Best 11-19 team in the history of sports. A couple of lucky bounces and they'd easily be 4-13 in conference.
Was this post really necessary?  ;)