Is this team's best basketball ahead of them?

• 31 replies

desco80

Is this team's best basketball ahead of them?
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
I think this is a pretty timely question, because if we're going to beat Marquette and win 2 in the BE Tournament, we'll need to be at our best.    Everyone likes to say we are capable of beating any team on a given day, but the truth is we went 1-5 against the conference's top 3 teams.   So we'll need to be playing our best ball, or close to it, to pull this off.

The team definitely seemed to have been on a major upswing, but then seemingly hit some bumps in the road;  Obekpa got hurt, Sanchez had paternity leave, Rysheed had the issues at home, and people started to actually have expectations for this team, so pressure could've been a factor as well.   

Are we past that?   Will we get back to the level we were playing at against Marquette and Georgetown?   Does anybody think they've learned and are poised to play even better than they were a few weeks ago?     Or have they been exposed to some extent and are reversing back to the mean - a talented, but inconsistent team?

paultzman

Re: Is this team's best basketball ahead of them?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »
With all the disruptions recently, it seems getting back in rhythm has not occurred. Some things are unavoidable, like births & family loss, but it seems too often things come out of the blue to our detriment. Some folks may say that is the norm in college hoops, but my gut tells me we are on the negative end of the scale. Go Johnnies!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:01:43 AM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
Time for Lavin to get the team focused.  Otherwise it's another season thrown away.   We need to win a few more games.  Not sure our fragile emotional infrastructure can handle a full roster of focused players and coaches. 

desco80

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
With all the disruptions recently, it seems getting back in rhythm has not occurred. Some things are unavoidable, like births & family loss, but it seems too often things come out of the blue to our detriment. Some folks may say that is the norm in college hoops, but my gut tells me we are on the negative end of the scale. Go Johnnies!

Hope you're wrong Paultz.   But there's a lot to support that.   

The alternative is that they figured out how to win (finally), then hit some adversity with injuries and distractions... but now they're back at full strength.   

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
I think the team figured out how to win and that, combined with a burst of confidence, carried them to the 9 out of 10 streak.  A few tough breaks has brought back a sense of reality.  I'm hoping they can get back to where they truly believe they can't lose.  Otherwise, it will be a fun(?) NIT ride.

derk

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »
This week off is huge. Hopefully coach can get these kids rested and focused for the task ahead. The mantra he's been preaching all year long is he builds his teams for a late season push. Let's see if the team bought in. Let's see if the kids are able to put their personal problems aside ( not an easy task ) and push through. Obviously a road win at Marquette will answer this question definitively.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »
Teams that think they can turn it on and off wherever they want invariably find out they can't.

uwsfan

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
Is Lavins best coaching ahead of him?

I personally anticipate more dissapointment and underperformance as long as he is here.
This was supposed to be the breakout year. These bubble conversations are NOT the sort of discussions we were supposed to be having in March 2014.

Now people are saying "next year" yet again. I have no confidence that next year will be any better than another bubble year. To hear Lavins paid fansite PR moles, being a NIT bound bubbble team this year and barely making it into the tourney as a bubble team next year is right where we ought to be. And to expect more is arrogance..." why, who do we think we are, Kentucky, UCLA?! We should class our program with the Seton Halls instead"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:04:33 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
They played about 10 good games in a row. They played pretty well against Nova, played poorly against X, and then well (for about 30 minutes) against Depaul. The team knows what's on the line. Now that Marq lost to PC last night, they're playing for nothing. I expect SJU to come out and win on Saturday. I then expect them to win at least their first BET game. I can't say what will happen if they have to play Nova/Creighton the next game. They could play well and lose.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »

Hopeful but agree with this

hnk

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
As an accused PR Mole, I feel it is my obligation to point out the team was picked to come in fifth in the new Big East.  Coach said he hoped we'd gel in Feb.  and do something special (win nine out of ten.)  Any other expectations are in the mind of the holder!  Give Coach Lavin a contract extension.

NCAA's here we come!  I hope.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
The problem is that we could be playing our best basketball and still lose at Marquette.  In the games I've been watching the past week,  seems as if the Senior day team wins every time.  Gonna be one tough environment and Eagles will be fired up avenge the double OT loss.

Oblockpa's ankle seemed right for the first time in weeks against DePaul.  That should help.

derk

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »

I personally anticipate more dissapointment and underperformance as long as he is here.
This was supposed to be the breakout year. These bubble conversations are NOT the sort of discussions we were supposed to be having in March 2014.

Now people are saying "next year" yet again. I have no confidence that next year will be any better than another bubble year. To hear Lavins paid fansite PR moles, being a NIT bound bubbble team this year and barely making it into the tourney as a bubble team next year is right where we ought to be. And to expect more is arrogance..." why, who do we think we are, Kentucky, UCLA?! We should class our program with the Seton Halls instead"

If CR were here I'm sure he'd recite chapter and verse about the year one of Lavin's UCLA teams came into the tourny with double digit losses and wound up in the sweet sixteen. Or when Tyus Edney pulled a game out of his ass with a last second coast to coast layup. Now is not the time for negative thoughts. Let's see what happens.

jr49

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »

Coaching? Players gatta play. Harrison, Sampson, Opekpa, and Jordan are the guys that must show up if we getting on a run. Four for 16, or playing half a game ain't gonna beat anybody good. Now is not the time for players to stink it up. Players gatta play. X-men came into MSG and showed our guys what it takes if you wanna dance.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
Gonna be a snake pit in there.   :-\

uwsfan

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »

Coaching? Players gatta play. Harrison, Sampson, Opekpa, and Jordan are the guys that must show up if we getting on a run. Four for 16, or playing half a game ain't gonna beat anybody good. Now is not the time for players to stink it up. Players gatta play. X-men came into MSG and showed our guys what it takes if you wanna dance.

Actually, Chris Mack came into MSG & showed our guys what you need to have on the sidelines in you wanna dance.

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
This team has shown the ability to play with anyone if on their game.  So I read all the posts saying no chance this, and not gonna happen that.  I think we can still go on a run and win a couple games in BET.   Lavin at this point needs to motivate and substitute appropriately, but it's the players who are going to determine the fate.  The main players (D-lo, Obekpa, Jordan, Sampson) are going to get the majority of minutes with a short rotation of 7-8 guys.  Time for them to step up!

desco80

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »

Yea, coaching.   I'm with you - players gotta play at this point on the calendar.
But if we don't lose to Depaul and Providence in January then we're not on the bubble right now ... and we lost those games because coach didn't know PC wasn't in a must-foul situation, and didnt use timeouts properly in the Depaul game.   

boo3

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
 If we lose, it's the coaching

If we win it's the despite the coaching...

Please, save us the time, we all know the drill around here.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
I still love our chances at the Garden next week. With the exception of Xavier no one has blown us out at MSG and I think that was an indication of everything going on around the program at the time of that game. We can definitely beat any team in this conference,  especially at MSG.