Thursday's a play in game!

• 140 replies

Tiznow

Re: Thursday's a play in game!
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
This new Big East isn't a top 4 conference, no way. Big 12 the strongest, then Big 10/Pac 12 in either order, AAC very strong, ACC, A10, then Big East if I was ranking.  Maybe I'd put Big East above A10 to finish as 6th best conference but it's a toss up.

This new Big East will be lucky to get 4 teams in the tourney unless bubble teams in the power conference's above us all lose in first round of their conference tourneys.

Johnny, on the court the Big East teams won 8 of ten against the A ten.  You call that a toss up?

Tiz, that's like saying because Villanova beat Kansas back in November that the Big East is better than the Big 12. Do you really think that? You have to look at the entire body of work instead of just picking a tiny sample size like you just did. Furthermore, if you're going to tell me that the Big East won 8 of 10 against the A 10 at least name the teams who won and lost. Hell those wins could've been against the lower tier A 10 teams like Fordham and St. Bonny which makes your statement null and void.

Here's the link.  A-ten is lucky it was not ten and zero.  8 - 2 is a blow-out.  The fans of the guys with 2 should stop talking and do something on the court.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/A-10/vs

Thanks for proving my point. You use wins over LaSalle and Fordham as part of your statement. That's just weak. And not to mention the A10's best team all year, St. Louis, didn't even play a Big East team. You need to look at the whole resume to make an honest evaluation.

Hey Johnny - nice to see you have a sense of humor.  Last time I looked Fordham and LaSalle were members of the A-10.  The bottom of the Big East played Oklahoma to a one point loss and Oklahoma State to a two point loss.  The bottom of the A-10 made the Johnnies look like they were playing a high school team.  Ten games with two wins is pathetic by any measure.  Let's see who does better in the post season.

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
Wish he shot FT's a little better

He shot 75% and 72% from the line his first two seasons before dropping to 65% this year.  Sometimes I wish he'ld take a little extra prep time prior to flinging the FT up.

Not to worry,  he'll bring it back to where it belongs next season which I'm sure will be a standout senior campaign. 

Is this kid delivering the goods for a 100?, 100+? ranked recruit or what???

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
I agree the team has played better once Obepka and Jordan's roles were increased and Greene and Sanchez were decreased.

In 3 of our most recent 4 games,  Parallelogram has played 31, 35 and 37 minutes respectively plus he starts.  I'm incredibly concerned he'll be rusty for the BE tournament. LOL

Deep dish remains a vital and critical piece of our puzzle.  Hollywood's reliance on Rectangle certain not to diminish now that we're in crunch time.

They pretty much gave up on the point guard disaster. Now he hits a couple of early threes then drifts around virtually unnoticed the rest of the game. I can live with that.

Phil Greene is an important player to this team. He's a guy who can hit spot up jumpers at a good clip. Many of his threes come at times when we really need them.
In the last 10 games, how many 2nd half points has Greene scored?

Foad

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2014, 09:28:42 AM »

How many first half points has he scored? He's averaging 6.5 per game since Dartmouth. Every PG4 game ever: he hits his first two shots and is never heard from again.

Moose

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2014, 09:35:11 AM »

How many first half points has he scored? He's averaging 6.5 per game since Dartmouth. Every PG4 game ever: he hits his first two shots and is never heard from again.

Well at least we know why he starts
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
What do his sabermetrics look like?  Check his FG% with less than 10 on the shot clock and his assist/TO ratio when he the other team plays a zone and who's team name is an animal?

Research people.  Don't just post random numbers without research!

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »

Maybe he should just play the last 2 minutes then

Moose

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »

That could hurt his foul numbers

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »

That could hurt his foul numbers

I would bet that Greene has the lowest number of Personal Fouls and foul shots combined for a starting guard in the history of the Big East in all its formats.

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
I agree the team has played better once Obepka and Jordan's roles were increased and Greene and Sanchez were decreased.

In 3 of our most recent 4 games,  Parallelogram has played 31, 35 and 37 minutes respectively plus he starts.  I'm incredibly concerned he'll be rusty for the BE tournament. LOL

Deep dish remains a vital and critical piece of our puzzle.  Hollywood's reliance on Rectangle certain not to diminish now that we're in crunch time.

Phil played a really solid game against Marquette. Three 3's in the first were big time. But serious question, did he make one play the last 15 minutes of the game? Thats what I dont get, we had been plus 15 with branch on the court that game. He doesnt play the last 15 minutes of the game.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Phil is a solid role player. He isn't, not should he be looking to take the game over in the 2nd half.

Remember what happened with his indecisiveness on that last possession against Nova. If he goes up strong and gets either fouled or makes it, different season right now.

DFF6

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
I don't see any other scenario than winning everything in order to get in.

There are just too many other bubble teams with clear cut better resumes.

People keep saying this, but then I look at other teams resume's and I'm not too impressed. Not much better than ours. If we add two wins (One would be Villanova) we are 100% in.

There is no 100% at large bid prospect for us.  That ship sailed when we lost to Xavier.  Dave is not wrong.  If all teams on the bubble with better RPI win the same or more games with SJU, we don't get in. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:44:18 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »

People keep saying this, but then I look at other teams resume's and I'm not too impressed. Not much better than ours. If we add two wins (One would be Villanova) we are 100% in.

There is no 100% at large bid prospect for us.  That ship sailed when we lost to Xavier.  Dave is not wrong.  If all teams on the bubble with better RPI win the same or more games with SJU, we don't get in. 

6 of the teams on the bubble play against each other in their conference tourney.

DFF6

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »

6 of the teams on the bubble play against each other in their conference tourney.

Still doesn't guarantee a spot.  A dark horse team can win a tourney and/or all of the wrong bubble teams win their games.  I think we will know better where SJU stands if it beats Nova, but we can't say today beat Nova and we're 100% assured a spot.

Poison

« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »

Phil played a really solid game against Marquette. Three 3's in the first were big time. But serious question, did he make one play the last 15 minutes of the game? Thats what I dont get, we had been plus 15 with branch on the court that game. He doesnt play the last 15 minutes of the game.

Greene drove a few times, but he missed the shots. He doesn't look comfortable or natural driving in the half court set. But his 3 point shooting has been a big reason why we're winning games. I'd rather see him pull up for a 10 footer then try to force  a drive.

derk

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »

Greene drove a few times, but he missed the shots. He doesn't look comfortable or natural driving in the half court set. But his 3 point shooting has been a big reason why we're winning games. I'd rather see him pull up for a 10 footer then try to force  a drive.

When he pulls up for a jumper, he gathers himself better then most shooters I've seen. That's why his shot has improved so much since his freshman year.

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »

Still doesn't guarantee a spot.  A dark horse team can win a tourney and/or all of the wrong bubble teams win their games.  I think we will know better where SJU stands if it beats Nova, but we can't say today beat Nova and we're 100% assured a spot.

Of course but that wasnt your original point. All the teams on the bubble cant win because 6 of them are playing each other.

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
Do you think NCAA / ESPN /CBS will hold a grudge against BE for breaking up the super conference? They seem to love the super conference

Moose

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
Do you think NCAA / ESPN /CBS will hold a grudge against BE for breaking up the super conference? They seem to love the super conference

For real?

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »
ESPN definitely won't.  They are at least partially responsible for breaking up the conference.