Lavin on WFAN

• 52 replies
Lavin on WFAN
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
Said he does not think it is a play in.
Says he thinks we are in.
Blamed the Nova loss on Sanchez ,missing the game and some other losses on all of the deaths the team has had to deal with.
Said comittee takes death into a/c(Unfortunately I am not joking, he said this)
If this is true sets up a situation where a coach on the bubble can take out hits on people to ensure a bid
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:51:25 PM by we are sju »

Re: Lavin on WFAN
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
Lavin said he expects 5 BE teams to get in

Foad

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Said he does not think it is a play in.
Says he thinks we are in.
Blamed the Nova loss on Sanchez ,missing the game and some other losses on all of the deaths the team has had to deal with.
Said comittee takes death into a/c(Unfortunately I am not joking, he said this)
If this is true sets up a situation where a coach on the bubble can take out hits on people to ensure a bid

If it's true does it explain why Jordan sat and Sanchez went to RI?

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »
Says he plans on being at ST John's for a long time. Contract talks put off until Spring

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »
Mike says if they win they are in, for what that is worth, prob not much.

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
Lav also said they dont have to make the tourney this year for this season to be deemed a successful one. Ridiculous statement. Lavin should be a politician. He's a spin expert

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »
Also said that recruiting classes are lined up for the '14, '15 and '16.

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Lav also said they dont have to make the tourney this year for this season to be deemed a successful one. Ridiculous statement. Lavin should be a politician. He's a spin expert

Gets over on many folks though. A bit too much for me, but wish him success, because I hate it when we lose.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:14:49 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
See, I want to give Lavin the benefit of the doubt, and like the guy.   But then he says sh*t like 5 Big East teams are making the NCAAs, and his team doesn't need to make the tournament for this to be a successful season.

He's just so full of bs sometimes.    It's one thing to put a positive spin on things, and promote your team/league.   But he goes so far over the top that it hurts his credibility.   This reminds me of the days when he would say Marco is a better shooter than Jason Kappono. 

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
Other than blaming stuff on the deaths I thought he said what any coach would say. He has to pump up the team and the conference and no one will set themselves up for failure, so he had to say that thing about not having to make the tourney.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »
I saw just Tim Miles proclaim the Big 10 the best conference.  Pastner said the same thing about the AAC today.  Eery coach is trying to promote their league.  Lavin is trying to put pressure (how ever unlikely it may be) on the Committee to put in 5 BE teams.  It is done every year.  I have no problem with it.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
Other than blaming stuff on the deaths I thought he said what any coach would say. He has to pump up the team and the conference and no one will set themselves up for failure, so he had to say that thing about not having to make the tourney.

He didn't have to say that.   Coughlin had no problem saying in December that the season wouldn't be a success unless they were in the playoffs.   Brian Kelly said the same thing about being in a BCS bowl.      Some coaches are consistent.   Others have an excuse for everything.   
Is it ever the case that the team played poorly and didn't execute?  Or, ha, weren't prepared for the game? 
No.   All we ever hear is that they are too young, too many new parts, this guy was hurt, that guy was grieving.   Lavin is gaining a reputation as someone who always points the finger everywhere but at himself. 

DFF6

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
I saw just Tim Miles proclaim the Big 10 the best conference.  Pastner said the same thing about the AAC today.  Eery coach is trying to promote their league.  Lavin is trying to put pressure (how ever unlikely it may be) on the Committee to put in 5 BE teams.  It is done every year.  I have no problem with it.

One of our problems is that no one from the BE is on the selection committee.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

Saying a conference is the best or toughest is one thing.  Quantifying a number of teams that should dance is not smart because when the number is 3 or whatever someone can throw it back in your face.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
Can't   blame Lavin. Gotta start making case for a bid. Won't get in if we loose to Providence ,but wants to make case for us getting in if we beat Providence and loose to Nova.A lot of bubble teams.

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

Saying a conference is the best or toughest is one thing.  Quantifying a number of teams that should dance is not smart because when the number is 3 or whatever someone can throw it back in your face.
Going the other way on this on Moose. Smart to play the politics. If he says 4 and only 3 get in you can justify that. People are taking shots at the conference I think he did the right thing by throwing another higher number out there.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:32:56 PM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
Maybe the better case to state is "If we beat PC I believe we merit strong NCAA consideration" I find it absurd to say we may be in the Dance already, which Lavin has espoused over the last few days. What do you gain by stating something contrary to logic? Do any of us believe we are in already? Come on, don't insult intelligence of your audience.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
Not saying it's smart to say the big east will get 5, but I don't see how it could hurt.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
Bottom line is not getting in the tourney makes for an unsuccessful season.  This team is too talented for anything less.  Of course Lavin is going to talk like a coach and say he expects to get in.  He probably believes that.  But, I think we need to at least get 1in BET to get in and I think we'll win on Thursday and be in the conversation.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
I also don't believe any comments coaches make bear any weight.  Every coach is going to go to bat for his team.  They'll either make it or they won't.  But Lavin's interview on WFAN won't have anything to do with the outcome.