Lavin on WFAN

• 52 replies
Re: Lavin on WFAN
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
Maybe the better case to state is "If we beat PC I believe we merit strong NCAA consideration" I find it absurd to say we may be in the Dance already, which Lavin has espoused over the last few days. What do you gain by stating something contrary to logic? Do any of us believe we are in already? Come on, don't insult intelligence of your audience.

Becuase if we then win it makes the tourney case even stronger. I don't think anyone expects us to lose and still get in, but I do believe the winner of the PC game SHOULD get in. Listen enough people taking shots at BE and throwing around 3 bids. I would not have had a problem with him saying 6 teams should get in.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
...Come on, don't insult intelligence of your audience.

That's what gets to me.    I don't fault him for promoting his league or his players.   Coaches should do that.
But so often Lavin gives us assessments that are so far removed from reality, that he must think we are all dopes. 

edit*  I honestly think if you asked him if Depaul was a tournament caliber team, Lavin would talk for 4mins and finish by saying "under the right circumstances, yes".

Same goes for if you asked him if Phil Greene was deserving of being on one of the All Conference teams..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:48:18 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
I saw just Tim Miles proclaim the Big 10 the best conference.  Pastner said the same thing about the AAC today.  Eery coach is trying to promote their league.  Lavin is trying to put pressure (how ever unlikely it may be) on the Committee to put in 5 BE teams.  It is done every year.  I have no problem with it.

Saying a conference is the best or toughest is one thing.  Quantifying a number of teams that should dance is not smart because when the number is 3 or whatever someone can throw it back in your face.
Going the other way on this on Moose. Smart to play the politics. If he says 4 and only 3 get in you can justify that. People are taking shots at the conference I think he did the right thing by throwing another higher number out there.

And if he says 5 and you get 3?
Is that still justified or is he just wiping the egg off his face?
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
I hope the reason Lavin says this borderline insane stuff is because he knows his team and he feels the need to ease the pressure off of them. Maybe he thinks they would come out and play tight if the pressure of a "play-in game" was on them. Just thinking out loud

desco80

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
I hope the reason Lavin says this borderline insane stuff is because he knows his team and he feels the need to ease the pressure off of them. Maybe he thinks they would come out and play tight if the pressure of a "play-in game" was on them. Just thinking out loud

fair point.   

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
I saw just Tim Miles proclaim the Big 10 the best conference.  Pastner said the same thing about the AAC today.  Eery coach is trying to promote their league.  Lavin is trying to put pressure (how ever unlikely it may be) on the Committee to put in 5 BE teams.  It is done every year.  I have no problem with it.

Saying a conference is the best or toughest is one thing.  Quantifying a number of teams that should dance is not smart because when the number is 3 or whatever someone can throw it back in your face.
Going the other way on this on Moose. Smart to play the politics. If he says 4 and only 3 get in you can justify that. People are taking shots at the conference I think he did the right thing by throwing another higher number out there.

And if he says 5 and you get 3?
Is that still justified or is he just wiping the egg off his face?

Maybe he setting up himself  up with the "being robbed" of a bid, but I really don't take issue with him pumping the number up.

Tiznow

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
Sounds like his statements stirred some interest.  Seems to be what talk radio is all about.  This guy knows how it works. 

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
Saying he expects 5 teams in is just his opinion no? He is probably wrong but I can't see him saying that as a fact.

LJSA

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
I think it looks better if Jay Wright says it -- his team is going no matter what so it wouldn't look like he's doing it mostly for personal gain. But I don't understand why anyone has any issue for Lavin campaigning for five. All BE coaches should be doing the same thing.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
Give it a rest, so what if he is pumping up the conference and the team. Somebody has too. I have a feeling no matter what he does it will still piss off people.  Let's just hope we win and don't worry about picking apart everything he says.

Moose

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
Give it a rest, so what if he is pumping up the conference and the team. Somebody has too. I have a feeling no matter what he does it will still piss off people.  Let's just hope we win and don't worry about picking apart everything he says.

And I have a feeling no matter what he says to you, you will buy it.
Talk talk talk talk talk.
We're behind, where we want to be.  We're ahead of where we should be. We will be good come February.  Anyone catch today the mention of playing against teams with Seniors?  Really?
Back it up.  Don't crawl out to an 0-5 start and this league very well would have got 5 bids.
Nothing wrong with posters in a civil discussion pointing out issues.  This isn't a cult.  We all down follow behind Lavin like David Koresh.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
Sounds like his statements stirred some interest.  Seems to be what talk radio is all about.  This guy knows how it works. 

Exactly.  Our last coach was a mute who was petrified of the media.  We went from one end of the spectrum to another.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:11:55 PM by Moose »

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
Do some of you guys really have a problem with him saying we should get five bids?  Are you serious?  What is he going to say..."nah, I think three is fair."  Get real. 

If you want to sell your house for 450k, you usually don't list it for 450k, right?  You tell everyone its worth 500k in your opninion. Same principle here. This conference deserves five bids.  Two teams are in the top ten of the RPI and top 15 of the polls..three other teams tied at 10-8 with 19 or 20 wins.  They should all be in, but the RPI is is absurd this year.  It seem so out of whack. 

The AAC is disgusting.  They beat the sh*t out of the bottom of the league.  There were like two upsets all year...they were awful.  Ten near guaranteed wins IN CONFERENCE plus chances to beat four others that were good not great.  We would have been a six seed out of the AAC. Who thinks UCOnn beats us at home?  Cincy?  SMU?

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
+100 Marillac

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
Do some of you guys really have a problem with him saying we should get five bids?  Are you serious?  What is he going to say..."nah, I think three is fair."  Get real. 

If you want to sell your house for 450k, you usually don't list it for 450k, right?  You tell everyone its worth 500k in your opninion. Same principle here. This conference deserves five bids.  Two teams are in the top ten of the RPI and top 15 of the polls..three other teams tied at 10-8 with 19 or 20 wins.  They should all be in, but the RPI is is absurd this year.  It seem so out of whack. 

The AAC is disgusting.  They beat the sh*t out of the bottom of the league.  There were like two upsets all year...they were awful.  Ten near guaranteed wins IN CONFERENCE plus chances to beat four others that were good not great.  We would have been a six seed out of the AAC. Who thinks UCOnn beats us at home?  Cincy?  SMU?

pretty much spot on

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
Agree but the top 5 teams did beat each other and eye test wise they all look worthy. The league just had 5 good teams and 5 terrible teams so as a league not that strong overall but is top heavy.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »

Smoke and mirrors. Lavin is a salesman first. A Coach second.

PIB

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »

Smoke and mirrors. Lavin is a salesman first. A Coach second.

He's the Al Golden of NCAA hoops.

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 08:48:36 PM »

pretty much spot on

+1

Wods317

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »
Marillac you are dead on. I agree with some people that say Lavin says some absurd things but this is not one of those times. Is he supposed to say we aren't in right now and need two wins to get in? No hes gona say his team is the tournament right now and he should say that. This league doesn't have a ton of amazing teams but what it does have is 7 good teams that all but Nova and Creighton have had up and down years. I think the Big East deserves at least four teams, we may only get three but for such a competitive league we deserve more. I have heard coaches all week saying their conference is the best, the deepest and the toughest. Why should Lavin say any different? If you don't stick up for your team and the league who will.