BE Newcomer of the Year

• 17 replies
BE Newcomer of the Year
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
Anyone when the announcement on this award would be?

I just noticed Zags reporting McBuckets took the POY, no shocker there.

DFF6

Re: BE Newcomer of the Year
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »

I'd be very surprised if it's not Billy Garrett.  With his numbers and the news that he's playing with sickle cell, he's got to be the favorite.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
If Newcomer consists of transfers then it is Sterling Gibbs.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

derk

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »

I'd be very surprised if it's not Billy Garrett.  With his numbers and the news that he's playing with sickle cell, he's got to be the favorite.

Sheed's season got distracted by too many things. He started out slow and played sparingly. He had the episode of leaving the team amid rumors he was going to transfer. Then he came on midway in the season before leaving again. Garrett played straight through and despite playing on a cellar dwelling team, his name was out there throughout. I'd take Sheed anyday but got to give this award to Garrett.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »

Sheed's season got distracted by too many things. He started out slow and played sparingly. He had the episode of leaving the team amid rumors he was going to transfer. Then he came on midway in the season before leaving again. Garrett played straight through and despite playing on a cellar dwelling team, his name was out there throughout. I'd take Sheed anyday but got to give this award to Garrett.

Id like to see their numbers in BE play only. I bet you sheeds would be much closer if not better than Garrett's.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
@WeAreDePaul: Spoiler Translation Billy is Big East Rookie of the Year RT @DePaulSID: Got a little presser to attend with one of our players #dpubb

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
Conference games only

Jordan in 30.1 minutes: 11.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.6 spg, 45.6 fg pct, 27.5 3-pt pct

Garrett in 29.6 minutes: 13.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.0 spg, 38.4 fg pct, 39.7 3-pt pct

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »
@KieranDarcy: Billy Garrett Jr. of DePaul here... Looks like he's beaten out Rysheed Jordan for Big East ROY #sjubb

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »
Conference games only

Jordan in 30.1 minutes: 11.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.6 spg, 45.6 fg pct, 27.5 3-pt pct

Garrett in 29.6 minutes: 13.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.0 spg, 38.4 fg pct, 39.7 3-pt pct

Thanks a lot. Jordan leads in everything but points, really could go either way. One player lead his team to 10-8 the other played on a struggling team. Hopefully Rysheed uses this as motivation to come back and be next years BE player of the year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

PIB

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
That blows. Jordan is the better player.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »
If Newcomer consists of transfers then it is Sterling Gibbs.

Newcomer as opposed to Freshmen of the Year came into play in the late 80's with the introduction of Prop 48.  When players would have to sit an entire year and not be allowed to practice because they were not qualified the debate was should those players be eligible for the "Freshmen of the Year" award the following year even though they are technically no longer freshmen? So they renamed the award.  I remember Brian Shorter of Pitt won the award in 1989 even though he was Prop 48 and had sat the previous year but again I think by then they renamed the award.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »
the news that he's playing with sickle cell

This one's got sickle cell, that one's having a baby, this guy's aunt died, that guy is in anger management, and Sunday there's a candle light vigil for Lavin's prostate. I mean Jesus, is this ESPN or the Lifetime Network.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
Conference games only

Thanks a lot. Jordan leads in everything but points, really could go either way. One player lead his team to 10-8 the other played on a struggling team. Hopefully Rysheed uses this as motivation to come back and be next years BE player of the year.

Maybe they could share it. That way they'd each feel good about themselves and have closure.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
 Am I the only one that doesn't care in the least about these awards?  I mean, they are nice and all, but to get worked up over them, I just can't be bothered.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:35:12 AM »
Depaul was 11-21 last year (three OT conference losses) and entered today 11-20 (one OT conference loss).  What difference did Garret really make?
They returned everyrone...including their last Big East ROY form 2010-2011.  They also added another really good freshman big man. They just lost by 33 points at home in a battle for last place against Butler.

No way Jordan doesn't increase their win total by 4-5 games and put up better stats.  I like Garrett..but Jordan would eat him alive.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:03 AM »
Depaul was 11-21 last year (three OT conference losses) and entered today 11-20 (one OT conference loss).  What difference did Garret really make?
They returned everyrone...including their last Big East ROY form 2010-2011.  They also added another really good freshman big man. They just lost by 33 points at home in a battle for last place against Butler.

No way Jordan doesn't increase their win total by 4-5 games and put up better stats.  I like Garrett..but Jordan would eat him alive.

Garrett dropped 21 on us in a win this past January. Jordan's turnover late in the game practically threw the game away. Jordan is more talented, and clearly has more upside, but Garrett was steady, and IMO more polished and consistent for a freshman.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »

Garrett dropped 21 on us in a win this past January. Jordan's turnover late in the game practically threw the game away. Jordan is more talented, and clearly has more upside, but Garrett was steady, and IMO more polished and consistent for a freshman.

And as a result, they finished with nearly the same record.  What an impact :)

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 02:40:22 AM »
I love Jordan but he sucked a$$ in the beginning of the year.  You can't really complain about this.  We're not going to win it every year.