Providence Game 3 -BET

• 340 replies

paultzman

Re: Providence Game 3 -BET
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »
I may be totally in the minority here but I think going to the NIT and hopefully winning it is a good thing.  This team needs to get better and the possibility of playing 5 more games, in whatever tournament is a positive.  If you look at this team that is 20-12 and  if each player gets just 10% better going into the next year we can have a very successful season.

We played five extra games...in Europe...and the team still disappointed.  The team played enough games this year.  Turn down the NIT and move on.

Who the hell is St. John's to refuse to the NIT?  Since 2000, we've been to the NCAA Tournament three times.  And we haven't won a game in the tournament since 2000.

Let's stop pretending like our program has standards.

After exhaling, most folks will be ok with it. A lot of frustration out there right now. Beat Iona!

« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
I may be totally in the minority here but I think going to the NIT and hopefully winning it is a good thing.  This team needs to get better and the possibility of playing 5 more games, in whatever tournament is a positive.  If you look at this team that is 20-12 and  if each player gets just 10% better going into the next year we can have a very successful season.

We played five extra games...in Europe...and the team still disappointed.  The team played enough games this year.  Turn down the NIT and move on.

Who the hell is St. John's to refuse to the NIT?  Since 2000, we've been to the NCAA Tournament three times.  And we haven't won a game in the tournament since 2000.

Let's stop pretending like our program has standards.

After exhaling, most folks will be ok with it. A lot of frustration out there right now. Beat Iona!

Yes!!!! What else is left? st Johns vs Albany? Iona vs West Va? Yawn. Let these 2 teams beat the snot out of each other. At least the message boards and twitter would keep us interested for another week or so

« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:38 PM »
This one is the worst loss in recent memory for me. All right there for the taking, a clear path to the finals and controlling our destiny for a guaranteed bid. Second game this year (Xavier) basically everything was on the line and we basically failed to show up both times. I turned to my Dad 30 seconds before tip off and told him the key to the game was Obekpa staying out of foul trouble...

I just cant understand how we weren't up for this. If we played anything like we did in the last 5 minutes we would have won. You could plainly see the team was playing flat out harder. Did we not have enough incentive to play hard in the first 35 minutes? Unreal. All Lavin does is talk about how deep, athletic and talented we are and he refuses to press (especially against a team that plays 6 guys with their best in foul trouble) until it's basically too late. but not really blaming Lavin on this one, not blaming the refs. if our players cant get up for this crystal clear opportunity then we don't deserve it.

Absolute killer, but for the few saying they'd rather not play in the NIT...are you crazy? today was painful and to a lesser extent embarrassing but wouldn't you rather watch a couple more St. John's games than not? isn't that why we're all here

« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »
Lets hope this years failure makes next years success that much sweeter!

« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
So disappointed with this team.  It's loaded with talent.  The Big East loses Syr, UCONN, Pitt etc ..and the Johnnies win only about half of their games. O.O.C. they had a great opportunity to distance themselves , but couldn't do it. Today they had a chance to take a big step back to their glory days. The field isn't has strong as years past and they have home court.    So disappointed.

« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »
Don't know why I am even bothering to make this point as I rarely believe Lavin's coaching ability is praise worthy but one move he made that turned out to be a very good one was playing the bench ie. hustling players when down 17 with 6 to play. They started the comeback with hustle and steals and then Lavin put the starters back in and they continued the comeback. Down 17, 6 to play to down one ball on the rim in final minute...DAMN IT!  :knuppel2:

Johnny23

« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
If Lavin's here to stay for a while then can they at least hire a top bench coach who's an X's and O's in game tactician? If they had one this team would be much improved.

« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »
If Lavin's here to stay for a while then can they at least hire a top bench coach who's an X's and O's in game tactician? If they had one this team would be much improved.
Coach Whitesell doesn't cut it for you?

goredmen

« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
Lavin is in half spin now mode in twitter

« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
This pissed the living hell out of me:

RT @FarcoSJU Lavin: "In my third year, we didn't have D'Angelo. Some coach decided to suspend him. (Playfully hits Harrison)" All laughs. Just eliminated.

Your team just significantly underachieved and you're CRACKING JOKES about suspending your player?! Get the entire hell out of here.

And then him saying this year would be a "success" even if we didn't make the Tournament.  Might as well break out the participation medals.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
Lavin is in half spin now mode in twitter
I don't mind that too much.  I have to say, Coach is as classy after losing as winning.  Almost every game, he seems to have a good word or two to share with the opposing coach.  I like that approach.  I just want him to be saying nice words after more wins - lol.

desco80

« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »

RT @FarcoSJU Lavin: "In my third year, we didn't have D'Angelo. Some coach decided to suspend him. (Playfully hits Harrison)" All laughs. Just eliminated.

Your team just significantly underachieved and you're CRACKING JOKES about suspending your player?! Get the entire hell out of here.

And then him saying this year would be a "success" even if we didn't make the Tournament.  Might as well break out the participation medals.

Lavin is getting a 5 year extension and a raise as a Participation Award basically.   It's certainly not based on results
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:24:28 PM by desco80 »

goredmen

« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »

The thing that upsets me the most about it is that the suspension and going through all the hoops with Sanchez last year was done to make this the year the program turned it around. We are in the same place we were last year, playing in the JV tournament

« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
Agreed.  Disappointing.

Last year, I thought there was value for certain of our guys to be playing in the NIT.

I think it will be more difficult for Lavin to keep this group motivated for an NIT run.  We'll see.

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »
In what world did Phil Greene deserve more minutes than Jamal Branch today? I just dont get it
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
Agreed.  Disappointing.

Last year, I thought there was value for certain of our guys to be playing in the NIT.

I think it will be more difficult for Lavin to keep this group motivated for an NIT run.  We'll see.

Well the guys weren't that much motivated by an NCAA run much either, except for the last 5mins of this game...50% from the line...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2014, 10:59:32 PM »
What's clear about these kids is that when it comes to winning key games they don't.
They seem incapable of bringing there A game for 40 minutes game after game.
They also seem to be good guys, but what I'll remember years from now about them, is the losing.

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »
Don't know why I am even bothering to make this point as I rarely believe Lavin's coaching ability is praise worthy but one move he made that turned out to be a very good one was playing the bench ie. hustling players when down 17 with 6 to play. They started the comeback with hustle and steals and then Lavin put the starters back in and they continued the comeback. Down 17, 6 to play to down one ball on the rim in final minute...DAMN IT!  :knuppel2:

Throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks lineup

SJUFAN

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »
Disappointing. Feel bad for the team, they played their hearts out coming down the stretch. Say what you want but they could have easily mailed it in down 17 with 6 to go. Thought they were going to pull it off. My only complaint about Lavin's coaching is the inbounds plays and the lack of implementing a full court trap through out the course of a game. That being said, players lost this one, plenty of opportunity to make plays and they missed it. Need to be able to convert layups and free throws.

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
Extremely disappointing because of the stakes of this game. This doesn't really change my view of the team or the program in the grand scheme of things as it does for some. Could have won today if a break or two went our way. Let's win the NIT. It won't take the sting out of this loss, but it's something.

Lavin's going to be an optimist. He's never going to say the things you want him to say putting down the players or admitting to his own coaching mistakes. Get over it, it's not who he is. He's going to give you a sugar coated answer that sounds good. He's not going to sulk in front of the cameras after a tough loss. I'm fine with it, it doesn't negatively affect the product on the court and helps the team's morale.