Providence Game 3 -BET

• 340 replies
Re: Providence Game 3 -BET
« Reply #260 on: March 14, 2014, 12:03:04 AM »
JaKarr missing the layup that would put us up one with a minute to go will haunt my dreams tonight.

With that said, turning down the NIT? How drunk are you. Why would you want to stop playing basketball? Look at the teams that made it to the NIT Elite 8 last year.

Baylor - NCAA this year
Providence - probably NCAA this year
Southern Miss- probably NCAA this year (27-5 this year)
BYU- probably NCAA this year
Maryland- 17-15 this year, probably back in NIT
Virginia- NCAA this year, trying for a #1 seed
Iowa- NCAA this year

LET'S FREAKING WIN THIS THING. It will only help these guys.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:03:27 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:24 AM »
Disappointing. Feel bad for the team, they played their hearts out coming down the stretch. Say what you want but they could have easily mailed it in down 17 with 6 to go. ...

They didn't play hard for the first 13 minutes of the second half.  Sorry, I'm not going to give them credit for playing hard the last 6 minutes or give the coaching staff credit for not letting them pack it in.  Minimum requirement in a desperation game is to play hard for close to 40 minutes and they clearly didn't do that.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Marillac

« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:06 AM »
In what world did Phil Greene deserve more minutes than Jamal Branch today? I just dont get it

I defend Greene more than anyone besides Carmine.  He was awful today...disgusting really.  His defense on Fortune was pitiful.  He made the kid look like an all-star.  Branch was huge for us.  2-3 zone kills us every time.  It's not a mystery.  We didnt' get Phil any open looks either.

« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »
In what world did Phil Greene deserve more minutes than Jamal Branch today? I just dont get it

I defend Greene more than anyone besides Carmine.  He was awful today...disgusting really.  His defense on Fortune was pitiful.  He made the kid look like an all-star.  Branch was huge for us.  2-3 zone kills us every time.  It's not a mystery.  We didnt' get Phil any open looks either.

Phil doesnt do to much moving around. Never really seen him attempt to lose his guy off of screens. Hard to get open that way.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:52 AM »

+100. Phil plain  & simple is a rhythm breaker, utilized by Lavin just when we are in a groove too often. May be a nice kid, but is a very ordinary, predictable player who has never met a screen he does not defer to. He's not reason we lost, but is an over utilized part of this team. His only value is to hit a few jumpers when his feet are set. That asset does not merit the minutes he is afforded.

« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Phil is more suited to a 6th man role playing maybe 15 minutes a night when some of the other scorers need a break.  Other than that, his weaknesses really show themselves and does more harm than good.   

Poison

« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »
At least we beat Providence in the summer.

SJUFAN

« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »
Disappointing. Feel bad for the team, they played their hearts out coming down the stretch. Say what you want but they could have easily mailed it in down 17 with 6 to go. ...

They didn't play hard for the first 13 minutes of the second half.  Sorry, I'm not going to give them credit for playing hard the last 6 minutes or give the coaching staff credit for not letting them pack it in.  Minimum requirement in a desperation game is to play hard for close to 40 minutes and they clearly didn't do that.

Did you see anyone dogging it out there? Just because we weren't ahead by 10 doesn't mean we weren't playing hard, they were. There is another team out there who scouts us and is well aware of our deficiencies (Yes we do have them). Better team won last night. Thought we came out tight, with the exception of Sampson and Jordan. Harrison's poor shot selection continues.

boo3

« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
 A lot of folks are saying we didn't come out ready to play.... Thing is, we were up 29-22 at one point.   Next thing you know, we are down 46-33..   a 24-4 run against isn't going to win many games.. We came out of the gates ok.. We just got crushed in the middle of the race.

« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
A lot of folks are saying we didn't come out ready to play.... Thing is, we were up 29-22 at one point.   Next thing you know, we are down 46-33..   a 24-4 run against isn't going to win many games.. We came out of the gates ok.. We just got crushed in the middle of the race.

It wasn't about lack of effort. It's lack of a half court offense that can kill us for stretches of any game.

« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »

+100. Phil plain  & simple is a rhythm breaker, utilized by Lavin just when we are in a groove too often. May be a nice kid, but is a very ordinary, predictable player who has never met a screen he does not defer to. He's not reason we lost, but is an over utilized part of this team. His only value is to hit a few jumpers when his feet are set. That asset does not merit the minutes he is afforded.

Actually was a big reason we lost. Never seen someone avoid screens that way. Maybe his hip hurts? Lavin should have changed D sooner or took him out sooner.

Foad

« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
Harrison's poor shot selection continues.

Harrison led the team in points, assists, and blocks, added 10 rebounds and had one TO in 36 minutes. Find someone else to blame.

« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »

Did you see anyone dogging it out there? Just because we weren't ahead by 10 doesn't mean we weren't playing hard, they were. There is another team out there who scouts us and is well aware of our deficiencies (Yes we do have them). Better team won last night. Thought we came out tight, with the exception of Sampson and Jordan. Harrison's poor shot selection continues.
getting beaten on the offensive glass, losing out on 50/50 balls, nonchalanting free throws. Help me here...is that playing hard to you??

« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »

getting beaten on the offensive glass, losing out on 50/50 balls, nonchalanting free throws. Help me here...is that playing hard to you??

Is it possible we were beaten on the offensive glass because Providence has better rebounders? Obekpa played 2 minutes.

« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »

Is it possible we were beaten on the offensive glass because Providence has better rebounders? Obekpa played 2 minutes.

Redmen posters are saying he refused to go back into game? If so I am assuming he will suspended for life by Lavin. I magin DLO did that?  Lavin would have given him that William Wallace treatment at the end of BraveHeart. Sorry it was on TV and I watched it after our game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

Harrison led the team in points, assists, and blocks, added 10 rebounds and had one TO in 36 minutes. Find someone else to blame.

Sure there are others to blame, but Harrison is the face of the team, he is the leader. The final stat line doesn't show how MIA D'lo was for the game. He is a tremendous rebounder for us, true. We need him to score! His first FG of the game came after the final TV timeout in the first half. One FG in the first half? He opens up the second half with a 2 pt FG, then doesn't score again until after the final TV timeout in the second half? 2 FG's in 36 minutes in the biggest game of the year from our best player?

It's not like he didn't have oppurtunities. Jordan blanketed Cotton, he did a great job on him. After the first offical timeout, Sanchez inbound the ball to a wide open D'lo above the key, no one was within five feet from him. Does he take the 3 point shot? nope, he puts the ball on the floor and finds a defender to challenge his running floater that he missed. Same thing at the 14:40 mark in the second half, D'lo in the corner, Sanchez has the ball in the low block, D'lo's man crashes down to double Sanchez, he passes it out to D'lo for an open 3 does he take it? nope, Once again he drives the ball to the basket with his turtle like quickness and 12 inch vertical and finds a defender to challenge his floater, which he missed. There is a reason why D'lo shoots sub 40% and why he shot 35% for the game. He did all of his scoring after we were down double digits with four minutes to go.

I like D'lo, but if he's our best player that's why we haven't gone to the NCAA tourney since he's been here. Not a knock on him, he plays hard, but he has his limitations like most of the other players. But unlike the rest, he could shoot, and feel he can be better for us than he has if he had better shot selection. We go on our offensive droughts because of shot selection, not lack of offensive game plan. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:53:36 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »

Sure there are others to blame, but Harrison is the face of the team, he is the leader. The final stat line doesn't show how MIA D'lo was for the game. He is a tremendous rebounder for us, true. We need him to score! His first FG of the game came after the final TV timeout in the first half. One FG in the first half? He opens up the second half with a 2 pt FG, then doesn't score again until after the final TV timeout in the second half? 2 FG's in 36 minutes in the biggest game of the year from our best player?

It's not like he didn't have oppurtunities. Jordan blanketed Cotton, he did a great job on him. After the first offical timeout, Sanchez inbound the ball to a wind open D'lo above the key, no one was within five feet from him. Does he take the 3 point shot? nope, he puts the ball on the floor and finds a defender to challenge his running floater that he missed. Same thing at the 14:40 mark in the second half, D'lo in the corner, Sanchez has the ball in the low block, D'lo's man crashes down to double Sanchez, he passes it out to D'lo for an open 3 does he take it? nope, Once again he drives the ball to the basket with his turtle like quickness and 12 inch veriticle and finds a defender to challenge his floater, which he missed. There is a reason why D'lo shoots sub 40% and why he shot 35% for the game. He did all of his scoring after we were down double digits with four minutes to go.

I like D'lo, but if he's our best player that's why we haven't gone to the NCAA tourney since he's been here. Not a knock on him, he plays hard, but he has his limitations like most of the other players. But unlike the rest, he could shoot, and feel he can be better for us than he has if he had better shot selection. We go on our offensive droughts because of shot selection, not lack of offensive game plan. 

Becuase we have a shaky coach and an uneven roster. People who blame Harrison are insane!

SJUFAN

« Reply #277 on: March 14, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »

The team battled. Just because the team isn't a good rebounding team, and bad free throw shooting doesn't mean they weren't playing hard. We didn't lose out on the 50/50 balls. The difference is there players stepped up and made shots, ours didn't.   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:41:37 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #278 on: March 14, 2014, 12:46:06 PM »

It's not like he didn't have oppurtunities. Jordan blanketed Cotton, he did a great job on him. After the first offical timeout, Sanchez inbound the ball to a wind open D'lo above the key, no one was within five feet from him. Does he take the 3 point shot? nope, he puts the ball on the floor and finds a defender to challenge his running floater that he missed. Same thing at the 14:40 mark in the second half, D'lo in the corner, Sanchez has the ball in the low block, D'lo's man crashes down to double Sanchez, he passes it out to D'lo for an open 3 does he take it? nope, Once again he drives the ball to the basket with his turtle like quickness and 12 inch veriticle and finds a defender to challenge his floater, which he missed. There is a reason why D'lo shoots sub 40% and why he shot 35% for the game. He did all of his scoring after we were down double digits with four minutes to go.

Becuase we have a shaky coach and an uneven roster. People who blame Harrison are insane!

Harrison is as much to blame as everyone else, not more. To say he is not to blame is ignoring his contributions to the 17 point deficit the team was in. This lose was a team effort, coach on down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:48:35 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #279 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
Why did he start Obekpa and then just sit him the whole 2nd half?  Did he foul out with the 3 fouls?  Last time I checked it was 5. He was a huge reason they improved.  Listen Legend played his butt off but really, let's see what O' could do.   

Oh yeah,  they deserved to lose with that effort.  What an ugly game to watch.  Thank god I am unemployed and didn't have to waste a sick day on this
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:58:40 PM by happyrappy »