Providence Game 3 -BET

• 340 replies

Poison

Re: Providence Game 3 -BET
« Reply #300 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
21 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks is to you "missing in action"? I just want to clarify that.
He had six FGs, not 2.

I was referring to game time, not minutes played. In the first 36 minutes of the game, he had 2 FGs, not 6. 1 FG in the first 20 Minutes, that is MIA to me.

He scored 30 percent of the teams total points, but doesn't score enough?
On the one hand you bitch about his shot selection and on the other that he doesn't score enough. You complain about his shooting percentage but wish he took more threes, which he shoots at a lower percentage than he does FGs. Does not compute. He drives to draw contact and shoot FTs, which he does at an exceptional rate. He plays to his strengths, unlike the other mooks on this team, who are generally brainless.

It not about what he does, that thinking is why we are in the NIT. Its about what he needs to do. It's all about efficiency. The two examples that I brought up were times that he chose a more difficult shot than the ones he were given. He does this every game. Most of the time he doesn't get the call. I would like him to shoot when he's open, within the flow of the offense, yes the offense. It would change the complextion of the game if we have consistant scoring. If his shot selection improved he may average 2 extra made FGs a game.

The reason this team shoots poorly is because there is no offensive game plan beyond: someone make a play. The reason Harrison's FG is low is because he's so often the one who is left to do so.

The reason this team shoots poorly is because they can't shoot. No one is playing defense on the free throw line. Blame Lavin for having a poor free throw game plan.

Alleged "core" player Chris Obekpa had zero points yesterday in two minutes. Alleged shooting Phil Greene had 2 points in 22 minutes. Pointer was scoreless in 10. Between the three of them they were 1 for 11 from the floor. Jakarr Sampson missed 4 of 7 free throws. Sanchez and Pointer were a combined 0 for 4. Between the three of them they were 3 of 11. That's why Harrison is not playing in the NCAA tournament this year. Well that and Lavin is a chucklehead.

It's not all on Harrison, others could do better as well. Its not blasphemy however to suggest Harrison could have played better, regardless of what his final stat line suggests. 

Harrison is having one of the great careers in SJU history. Not a first tier career like Mullin/Berry/Sealy, but certainly on the second. Neither is he a freak of nature like Marcus Hatten, but then few people are, hence the characterization freak. But Harrison is a great BB player. I feel sorry for you that you can't appreciate it.

Like I said I like Harrison, not trying to pick on him, even though its probably what I did.

So it is ok to come across as bashing Haarrison but not Lavin? Lavin sand bagged the first half of the season relied too much on Greene and could not even figure out who his best players were despit taking them on a Summer trip. Guess they mostly concentrated on sight seeing in the summer as Lavin finally settled on the "right" lineup in February.
Lavin recruited kids who can't shoot. So yes, that is on him.

That's spot on. Lavin isn't very bright.

SJUFAN

« Reply #301 on: March 14, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
So to recap: when we win it's because of our core players: Sampson, Obekpa, and Jordan. And when we lose its because Harrison only double doubled. Do I have that about right?

Everyone contributes to wins/loses. Some more than others. If we want to proclaim D'lo as the leader of the team, then he needs to start leading us to victory. If not, give the ball to Jordan and get out of his way. Stop with the excuses.

goredmen

« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
Pointer has regressed to the point where he's a liability on the floor. Those 3 first half, dunk, layup botches that he had are unacceptable at that level. He is so unstable with the ball in his hands that he really shouldn't ever touch it. Seems like a good kid but hurts this team when he's on the floor. This team has zero chemistry which is really bizarre when a most of the core guys have been together for 2-3 years??

Pointer is such a liability on offense that I think he should work all offseason on becoming a defensive stopper. He has the size and athleticism to guard 1 through 3 and maybe even some 4s. Having a guy that can guard the other team's best player while keeping Jordan/Harrison/Sampson out of foul trouble and focused on scoring would be a major help. Dom really wouldnt contribute to the team any other way

Johnny23

« Reply #303 on: March 14, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
Pointer has regressed to the point where he's a liability on the floor. Those 3 first half, dunk, layup botches that he had are unacceptable at that level. He is so unstable with the ball in his hands that he really shouldn't ever touch it. Seems like a good kid but hurts this team when he's on the floor. This team has zero chemistry which is really bizarre when a most of the core guys have been together for 2-3 years??

Pointer is such a liability on offense that I think he should work all offseason on becoming a defensive stopper. He has the size and athleticism to guard 1 through 3 and maybe even some 4s. Having a guy that can guard the other team's best player while keeping Jordan/Harrison/Sampson out of foul trouble and focused on scoring would be a major help. Dom really wouldnt contribute to the team any other way

True, that's about his only angle at this point.

Johnny23

« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
So to recap: when we win it's because of our core players: Sampson, Obekpa, and Jordan. And when we lose its because Harrison only double doubled. Do I have that about right?

Everyone contributes to wins/loses. Some more than others. If we want to proclaim D'lo as the leader of the team, then he needs to start leading us to victory. If not, give the ball to Jordan and get out of his way. Stop with the excuses.

This. Harrison is a scorer plain and simple. He doesn't always take over when he needs to. He just seems to kind of wait until the team needs him to hoist a 30 ft three ptr to save the day. Jordan is much more of a closer, slasher, driver and his jumpshot seems to improve drastically as the year went on. Harrison is clutch I'll give him that. But he doesn't always use that clutchness and killer instinct as he much as this team needs him to. That's part on him and part on Lavin.

« Reply #305 on: March 14, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
D'Angelo is tough and crafty.  Despite yesterday's final shot, he might have the highest bball IQ on the team.   He's had some issues along the way, but he's been a very productive player here.  All things considered, I wish we had a few more like him.

Foad

« Reply #306 on: March 14, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »
Stop with the excuses.

By excuses do you mean Lavin's prostate, and his father died, and 5 people associated with players died, and there have been candle light vigils to attend , and open casket funerals, and Obekpa was injured and Sanchez had a baby and we rely on freshmen and underclassmen or were you referring to something else.

SJUFAN

« Reply #307 on: March 14, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
Stop with the excuses.

By excuses do you mean Lavin's prostate, and his father died, and 5 people associated with players died, and there have been candle light vigils to attend , and open casket funerals, and Obekpa was injured and Sanchez had a baby and we rely on freshmen and underclassmen or were you referring to something else.

Exactly that. Sure some individuals may have been effected at the time, but not the team. No reason why Lavin couldn't have come to a decision on a set rotation prior to BE play. 

« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
In what world did Phil Greene deserve more minutes than Jamal Branch today? I just dont get it

I defend Greene more than anyone besides Carmine.  He was awful today...disgusting really.  His defense on Fortune was pitiful.  He made the kid look like an all-star.  Branch was huge for us.  2-3 zone kills us every time.  It's not a mystery.  We didnt' get Phil any open looks either.

+100. Phil plain  & simple is a rhythm breaker, utilized by Lavin just when we are in a groove too often. May be a nice kid, but is a very ordinary, predictable player who has never met a screen he does not defer to. He's not reason we lost, but is an over utilized part of this team. His only value is to hit a few jumpers when his feet are set. That asset does not merit the minutes he is afforded.

Actually was a big reason we lost. Never seen someone avoid screens that way. Maybe his hip hurts? Lavin should have changed D sooner or took him out sooner.
Avoids all contact...screens, drives to basket...it is why he kills every fast break...2 more yesterday...at one point he dribbled to the sideline despite man advantage and just about waited for the Providence players to get back on defense

« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
If a basketball player sees the court but he should never touch the ball what does that make him, an offensive lineman who should never even try to recover a fumble?

Johnny23

« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
If a basketball player sees the court but he should never touch the ball what does that make him, an offensive lineman who should never even try to recover a fumble?

If your offensive lineman is recovering fumbles on a regular basis then your team is going to suck regardless.

« Reply #311 on: March 15, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
Took this loss particularly hard.  Not exactly sure why.  Thought I might be done for the year but my spirit has been bolstered today by the amazing performance of my 1B) team out at Stony Brook.  They never disappoint.

Only saw the first couple of minutes and listened to some on the radio. Perusing the stats leads me to believe that we lost the game at the line,  plain and simple.  74% for them and 50% for us.  Switch those numbers and we win going away. Even them out and we eke out a close win.  Some posters living in the past have mistakenly pointed out that we're a poor FT shooting team.  But that seems like ions ago.  We shot a respectable 70% from the line this season, up from 64% last season and mid-pack in the BE.

On the radio it looked like Sir with no love missed 3 easy layups.  IDK.

Providence coach Hooley won't take his best players out of the game unless they break a leg.  Our coach had a stretch in the 1st half where 3'lo, Prince and Jakarr were all on the bench at the same time!  I kidd you not.

I saw one disturbing highlight with us down 3 with 23 seconds remaining and 3'lo attempting a three point shot.  That was a foul.  Dougie Mac would get that call everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:43:25 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #312 on: March 15, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
Took this loss particularly hard.  Not exactly sure why.  Thought I might be done for the year but my spirit has been bolstered today by the amazing performance of my 1B) team out at Stony Brook.  They never disappoint.

Only saw the first couple of minutes and listened to some on the radio. Perusing the stats leads me to believe that we lost the game at the line,  plain and simple.  74% for them and 50% for us.  Switch those numbers and we win going away. Even them out and we eke out a close win.  Some posters living in the past have mistakenly pointed out that we're a poor FT shooting team.  But that seems like ions ago.  We shot a respectable 70% from the line this season, up from 64% last season and mid-pack in the BE.

On the radio it looked like Sir with no love missed 3 easy layups.  IDK.

Providence coach Hooley won't take his best players out of the game unless they break a leg.  Our coach had a stretch in the 1st half where 3'lo, Prince and Jakarr were all on the bench at the same time!  I kidd you not.

I saw one disturbing highlight with us down 3 with 23 seconds remaining and 3'lo attempting a three point shot.  That was a foul.  Dougie Mac would get that call everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
Agree on foul no call. As for Sheed, Dlo and Karr being on bench at the same time my question is was Phil on the court? If so I don't see a problem!  ;)

« Reply #313 on: March 15, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
Cooley can't sub for his players because he only has six guys who play. It is amazing how we turn on our coach with second guesses when we lose. When we win, the players played great. When we lose it is the coach's fault. When players have a bad game, it is the coach's fault. When player's miss ft's, it is the coach's fault. Get real, guys.

Foad

« Reply #314 on: March 15, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
mistakenly pointed out that we're a poor FT shooting team.  But that seems like ions ago.  We shot a respectable 70% from the line this season, up from 64% last season and mid-pack in the BE.

Take away Harrison and the rest of them shoot a collective 63 percent. Stick to blustering, you're not very good at facts.

goredmen

« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Cooley can't sub for his players because he only has six guys who play. It is amazing how we turn on our coach with second guesses when we lose. When we win, the players played great. When we lose it is the coach's fault. When players have a bad game, it is the coach's fault. When player's miss ft's, it is the coach's fault. Get real, guys.

Lavin has done numerous things this year that even some 4th grade CYO would see make 0 sense. Lavin is the most clueless in-game coach in the big east by a large margin. If you disagree with that statement you have either A) haven't watched a St John's game this year or B) know nothing about basketball

« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
We finished tied for 3rd in the Big East

« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
Dom should watch how Henton crashes the glass ....

« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2014, 11:14:53 PM »
Dom should watch how Henton crashes the glass ....

Low basketball IQ

« Reply #319 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »
How many games have you been to Goredman?  Nice name. And you did not answer the question. If we have such great players, why do the other teams have more players recognized for their talent by being named all conference or honorable mention? ? Oh right, it is the coach. Do you blame Lavin when you miss your bus too?