Questions for Next Year

• 96 replies

Re: Questions for Next Year
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Pretty much nailed it

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
To me our biggest needs are to get a big man who can bang inside and a guy who can knock down 3's. Lavin knows we need a 3 point shooter bad, he tried with Marco and Hooper. Hooper has a good stroke but hes unable to get his shot off against quicker defenders and his a complete liability on the defensive end. Phil Greene was knocking down threes at a nice clip but he disappears in a lot of games. A guy like Bell from Villanova is what we need. Hopefully Lavin can add effective JUCO or under the radar HS players this spring.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »
Why would Jordan and CO come back?

SJUFAN

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »

Where would they go......D league?

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »

Yes

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »

Yes

Mark Cuban says the D-league is better.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
To me our biggest needs are to get a big man who can bang inside and a guy who can knock down 3's. Lavin knows we need a 3 point shooter bad, he tried with Marco and Hooper. Hooper has a good stroke but hes unable to get his shot off against quicker defenders and his a complete liability on the defensive end. Phil Greene was knocking down threes at a nice clip but he disappears in a lot of games. A guy like Bell from Villanova is what we need. Hopefully Lavin can add effective JUCO or under the radar HS players this spring.
very clear that Marco and Max werent the answer. Lavin has recurited some good players but also guys who just dont belong.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »

Yes

Anybody that goes the D-League by choice at this point is an idiot. Do you realize the difference in money they could make? Why would any underclassman that is assured to be going to the D-league do that when they could stick it out another year and be an upper tier first round pick.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
Baldi - all seriousness. Would you have told Armand to leave Iona last year to go to the D league?  He would have been picked up by a team. You wouldn't because he used this year to improve his game and maybe get on the radar for some predraft camps, etc.

Jordan can use next year to play his way into the first round and guaranteed millions. CO can use the next two years for the same. Different levels of players but same concept.

desco80

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 02:06:29 AM »

Yes

Anybody that goes the D-League by choice at this point is an idiot. Do you realize the difference in money they could make? Why would any underclassman that is assured to be going to the D-league do that when they could stick it out another year and be an upper tier first round pick.

Staying another year doesn't make you a higher draft choice necessarily.  They select you projecting that you'll get better.  The only way you move up is if all of a a sudden you start to develop faster than the avg player does.  they factor in normal progress. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:07:04 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »
Baldi - all seriousness. Would you have told Armand to leave Iona last year to go to the D league?  He would have been picked up by a team. You wouldn't because he used this year to improve his game and maybe get on the radar for some predraft camps, etc.

Jordan can use next year to play his way into the first round and guaranteed millions. CO can use the next two years for the same. Different levels of players but same concept.

The way I look at it is, what upperclassmen have improved playing for this staff? Gods Gift? branch? Pointer?

Foad

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

The way I look at it is, what upperclassmen have improved playing for this staff? Gods Gift? branch? Pointer?

Thank God Iona lost so you could get back to your natural calling: trolling SJ fans. Hopefully you shake the rust off by May though, because this is weak.

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

Thank God Iona lost so you could get back to your natural calling: trolling SJ fans. Hopefully you shake the rust off by May though, because this is weak.

Been a busy year. I am a bit rusty. There is always next year though, Because we will all be having the same conversations

Chilleb

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
Please don't kill the messenger , I know I don't post as much. Work has been kicking my butt. However Just heard from a very viable source that seeing Chris  obekpa. Back next year is slim to none, either NBA or transfer. Leaning to NBA. Johnnies not all the way buried but hole is definitely dug.

LoganK

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »

Been a busy year. I am a bit rusty. There is always next year though, Because we will all be having the same conversations

About how Iona couldn't even come out of the MAAC but is still somehow a better team than SJU?
Sorry Baldi, just bitter....

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:49 AM »
Please don't kill the messenger , I know I don't post as much. Work has been kicking my butt. However Just heard from a very viable source that seeing Chris  obekpa. Back next year is slim to none, either NBA or transfer. Leaning to NBA. Johnnies not all the way buried but hole is definitely dug.

The hole is only dug because we haven't recruited anybody besides Delarosa this season.  If we had recruited 3-4 legit players, we'd have no problem.  Now there's not much left on the board.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »

Even taking into account the Lavin drag anchor effect I'd be stunned if this team (plus or minus one player) doesn't manage at least a first round loss next year.