• 96 replies

boo3

Re: Questions for Next Year
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
Rothstein

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
They will be an NCAA tournament team even if they supremely disappoint us.  Jordan and Harrison will be too good.  The bigs will be too experienced to not at least get there.  The problem is that just getting there should have happened this year.  We all expected this core to be Final Four contenders next season , but that doesn't look too likely right now. 

We need some production form the SF position.  We can' play teams four on five.  Either we need a shooting threat or we need a do-everything guy to create and prolong possessions.  If Lavor Postell was on this roster, we would be playing in the Elite Eight...but Lavor Postell is not walking through that door. 

Dom has to go or be a fixture at the end of the bench.  Bring in Antoine Mason and give him 30 minutes at the three.  If not, my boy Felix has to get the nod.  He's composed, he's always under control, he understands positioning, he is much better defender than Dom, he can hit an open three, and he hustles like nobody we've had since Ced.  I like what he does on the baseline...I love his understanding of angles (maybe he was a soccer player?) and I love he follows everything.  We need that so bad.  Dom is shot...he's soft...he reaches and gambles, he doesn't get low on defense...he's awful on offense....he's never under control...and he hates contact.
Next.

Harrison to Balamou dunk
All we need to see between Dom and Balamou here.  Both coming down on the wings...Dom jogs to the three point line while Balamou sprints to the three point line, recognizes the backdoor wide open and alerts Harrison of the alley-oop.  Dom plays 20+ minutes per game and is a world-class athlte...how many of these have wee seen from him this year?  Two or three in the wide open court maybe.  He doesn't have this type of IQ.  Of course he celebrates like an idiot afterwards. 

Double-block by Balamou against South Carolina.  Notice the positioning and awareness of his man on defense while he goes for the block.  Dom is simply not capable of that. He would have completely forgotten his man, charged at the kid for a foul and left his man for a layup. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:38:56 PM by Marillac »

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
my memory of cedric jackson as a st. johns player was nothing amazing. I know he left and and did some good things. When he left here I wasnt mad. wouldnt be hard to find Dom making a block on the internet either. Felix is not the answer, just like max, just like marco. To say we need help at the 3 is fine, but do you really think Felix dominates in practice and never plays?

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
my memory of cedric jackson as a st. johns player was nothing amazing. I know he left and and did some good things. When he left here I wasnt mad. wouldnt be hard to find Dom making a block on the internet either. Felix is not the answer, just like max, just like marco. To say we need help at the 3 is fine, but do you really think Felix dominates in practice and never plays?

His skills had certainly not caught up to his athleticism and hustle during his time here.Give me kids that try all day.  Dom Pointer would never make it through a single practice of mine with the way he plays.  He's soft as dog sh*t and he doesn't even try.  I can't take kids that don't put forth effort.  He's one of the laziest players I've ever witnessed from his reaching and gambling to his complete lack of interest in following any shot on offense.  He is poison to this team and he needs to go.   

Balawho?  Balamou!

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »

His skills had certainly not caught up to his athleticism and hustle during his time here.Give me kids that try all day.  Dom Pointer would never make it through a single practice of mine with the way he plays.  He's soft as dog sh*t and he doesn't even try.  I can't take kids that don't put forth effort.  He's one of the laziest players I've ever witnessed from his reaching and gambling to his complete lack of interest in following any shot on offense.  He is poison to this team and he needs to go.   

Balawho?  Balamou!

Marillac, is that top 150 kid you mentioned we are in on a power player, who can rebound? Thx

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

Marillac, is that top 150 kid you mentioned we are in on a power player, who can rebound? Thx

Unfortunately I have no inside info, Paultz.  It is just a strong feeling that Lavin will get it done once again on the recruiting trail.  With recruiting, in Lavin I trust.  I wish I had the same faith in terms of x's and o's and player development.

Mason is available to the right team and it would be crazy for Lavin to not throw everything at him.  He's such an efficient scorer and he draws fouls at such an absurd clip.  We'd be a different team with him.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

Unfortunately I have no inside info, Paultz.  It is just a strong feeling that Lavin will get it done once again on the recruiting trail.  With recruiting, in Lavin I trust.  I wish I had the same faith in terms of x's and o's and player development.

Mason is available to the right team and it would be crazy for Lavin to not throw everything at him.  He's such an efficient scorer and he draws fouls at such an absurd clip.  We'd be a different team with him.

Agree about Mason.  Would be good for us on our veteran team, and good exposure for him.  It seems as good as we can do at this point.  We need a SF with range to 3 desperately.  Laurier would have been perfect, but that ship sailed.

paultzman

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

Thx! Did see in a recent NY Times article it is likely Mason is leaving. Agree he could help.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 02:40:25 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

Agree about Mason.  Would be good for us on our veteran team, and good exposure for him.  It seems as good as we can do at this point.  We need a SF with range to 3 desperately.  Laurier would have been perfect, but that ship sailed.

Larrier would have been great.  I would not be shocked to see his name in mock drafts before long.  It's crazy to think that the SF position did us in when Lavin signed  what seemed like all SFs in 2011:  Harkless, Garrett, Pointer, Sampson, etc.  What a glaring weakness for this team.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »

Balawho?  Balamou!

Larrier would have been great.  I would not be shocked to see his name in mock drafts before long.  It's crazy to think that the SF position did us in when Lavin signed  what seemed like all SFs in 2011:  Harkless, Garrett, Pointer, Sampson, etc.  What a glaring weakness for this team.

Balawho?  Balamou!

Thx! Did see in a recent NY Times article it is likely Mason is leaving. Agree he could help.

Do you know if Joey Delarosa is on a scholarship or is he a walkon?  Some many talented kids could be available:  Mason, Lawrence, etc.

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
On WFAN this morning John Feinstein called this "a HUGE Disappointment for SJU and Lavin did a real bad coaching, and that even though he is an unquestioned recruiter, those old coaching issues from his UCLA days have not gone away". He also said the "BE is awful and it is unbelievable that this talented a SJU team could not be in the top 3 of the conference and not going to the tourney"

Sounds like he read my posts

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
My boy Felix can hit an open three.

?????
In his 291 career minutes Balamou has not scored any 3 point shot.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61811/felix-balamou

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
My boy Felix can hit an open three.

?????
In his 291 career minutes Balamou has not scored any 3 point shot.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61811/felix-balamou

He's taken two attempts!  At OSNA the kid was a scorer...never hesitated.  He can shoot....you watch.

redslope

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
Interesting how nobody has commented on the last of the writer's points regarding the fan support or rather the lack thereof.  I totally agree with him and I am sick of people saying they can't afford tickets.  Purchasing tickets is an "entertainment" choice that each of us makes.  You decide how to spend any excess cash you might have. 
You choose where to spend it.  I have given up certain other "entertainment" purchases in order to get my season tickets.  You'd be surprised where you can find the money.  give up going to see the Yanks or Mets; give up going to a few movies: give up a hockey game and you have the cost of a season ticket.  Or you can do what I did when younger for Ranger season tickets--I shared the ticket with some others (4 of us would chip in and buy 2 season tickets and split the games).
The team needs more support.  They ain't gonna get better without it and a LOUD MSG is a heck of a lot more fun and exciting for us fans who go to the games.   

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
Rothstein

Nope...It was Feinstein

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
Rothstein

Nope...It was Feinstein
can we at least agree it was someone Jewish

boo3

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
Rothstein

Nope...It was Feinstein

Really?  What time was this?   Rothstein was in the studio from 11-12 today with Evan Roberts...  Who was Feinstein on with?

boo3

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
 Here's the audio of Rothstein from this am.....http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/865-wfan-audio/

Must have been Feinstein because Rothstein, besides saying that the season was a disappointment,  didn't say any of the stuff WASJU mentioned.

What do I know though..  ;)

Johnny23

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
Balamou can play at this level. I remember when he was in the rotation that he showed some glimpses. One of the biggest weaknesses on this offense is the lack of a dribble drive and penetration to force opposing defense to commit. That stupid system Lavin employs where 4 guys SIT around the top of the key and one guy with the ball just holds it has go to go. The point being is that when Balamou played he was one of the only players on this team who can force the action off the dribble drive. Jordan, Balamou and Branch are the only three who know how to do this. Harrison doesn't do this well, he struggles and forces it when he drives.