One Trick Pony

• 12 replies

Wods317

One Trick Pony
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
In watching the game tonight and all the games this season I realized one of our biggest weaknesses is we a team full of players with a specific talent but very few all around good players. For example Obekpa can only block shots and does nothing else well. Branch is a sound ball handler but cant shoot or play much defense. Hooper nails a some threes but is lost on the court otherwise. Greene can knock down an open 3 but doesn't drive or distribute the ball. Jakarr can hit that 15 ft jumper but his handle is weak and his defense is really inconsistent. Dom plays aggressive defense and can get steals but has no jump shot and doesn't rebound. I won't continue but this the case with almost every player on the roster, where are the basketball players? We have heard all year we have an extremely talented team. Athletic? yes talented? I really don't think so.

Re: One Trick Pony
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
Can't argue with you too much on this. This is where a coach needs help develop players as well as run plays and sets to utilize a players strengths. Unfortunately, we didn't see much of that this year.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
The subject of this thread fits not only most of the players on this team but also the coach. Can recruit athletes but can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Out coached by a 33 yr old kid who could do more with this team than lavin can

cjfish

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
Good points.  I have never seen a player regress as much as Dom Pointer, bad on his part but more a reflection on the coaching staff, especially Mr. Happy.  Sampson also went downhill and no one has improved significantly.  I would like to see Mr. Happy comment on the total lack of effort but he will be smiling, making excuses (Jordan out) and generally making an ass of himself.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
In watching the game tonight and all the games this season I realized one of our biggest weaknesses is we a team full of players with a specific talent but very few all around good players. For example Obekpa can only block shots and does nothing else well. Branch is a sound ball handler but cant shoot or play much defense. Hooper nails a some threes but is lost on the court otherwise. Greene can knock down an open 3 but doesn't drive or distribute the ball. Jakarr can hit that 15 ft jumper but his handle is weak and his defense is really inconsistent. Dom plays aggressive defense and can get steals but has no jump shot and doesn't rebound. I won't continue but this the case with almost every player on the roster, where are the basketball players? We have heard all year we have an extremely talented team. Athletic? yes talented? I really don't think so.

While I can understand your points but I think a bigger problem is that the team doesn't play to their strengths. Overall though I agree with you but this team didn't play up to their potential. Some of the blame falls on coaching and some of it falls on them too. They quit too many times this season. Got to have that fight within.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »

I've been saying this all year, outside of Jordan, team is too one dimensional and isn't as talented as some think.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »

I've been saying this all year, outside of Jordan, team is too one dimensional and isn't as talented as some think.

And when that is the case, you don't blame the guys who aren't getting paid. This is on Lavin. All of it.

Dan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:50:53 PM »
Lavin has shown zero difference between what he did at UCLA and what he's doing at St. John's, except St. John's lacks UCLA's pedigree so he can't get the same caliber of talent.  He still cannot coach, he's still a used car salesman, and he's still full of shit.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »
Our talent is better than good. It is the coaches job to develop them into a team. We have 1000 wins sit

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:31:33 AM »
to finish that thought  , we have 1000+ plus coaching wins sitting on our bench. Maybe our kids are uncoachable.  They have seemed that way lots of times in every  single game this year.   Wooden could not  have won tonight with our effort on the floor.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
Lavin has shown zero difference between what he did at UCLA and what he's doing at St. John's

In 7 years at Ucla, Hollywood made the Ncaa tournament on 6 occasions.  Including 4 sweet 16's and an elite 8.

Here?  Not so much.

SJUFAN

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »
Lavin has shown zero difference between what he did at UCLA and what he's doing at St. John's

In 7 years at Ucla, Hollywood made the Ncaa tournament on 6 occasions.  Including 4 sweet 16's and an elite 8.

Here?  Not so much.

1. He didn't have to rebuild UCLA
2. When he took over the SJU program he was away for 7 years. Its takes time to build relationships with players. I think he did a great job bringing in the players he did.

Now that Lavin has been able to build up relationships, I think he will start to bring in more talented players to were we will become a staple in the NCAA tournament.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:47 AM »
Now that Lavin has been able to build up relationships, I think he will start to bring in more talented players to were we will become a staple in the NCAA tournament.

That would be nice.