Who will be the fall guy for this season?

• 18 replies

Tha Kid

Who will be the fall guy for this season?
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
1.  Lavin - he has endeared himself to administration - not going to be him.
2.  Players - there may have been a lack of effort at year's end, but no major problems, and our best bet is still everyone returning - not going to be them.
3.  Assistant coach(es) - DING DING DING

Well, I don't know if there WILL be a fall guy or guys, but there should be.  I assume Whitesell handles xs and os for us, and I did see improvement over course of the season?  Which assistant is our disciplinarian? 

Lavin did not pull the wool over the admin's and the fans eyes when he was hired and we were excited - none of us reasonably assumed he'd be great at xs and os or discipline, but we did expect he'd be great at recruiting and motivation.  Arguably, he failed on both counts this season (though recruiting season is not over).  However, based on comments from the players throughout the season and last night, it seems that there was a little too much individual play with guys trying to show off for NBA scouts and "get theirs" rather than the team bonding as brothers and working their butts off towards a common goal.  The Europe experience was supposed to be that bonding experience, but since it failed, and based on what 2011's successful bonding experience was, I'm thinking that discipline is the key towards building team unity here.  In 2011, Dunlap came in and shocked those guys like they've never been shcoked before with extremely difficult practices, no nonsense attitude, and the whole bat thing.  He was the yang to Lavin's ying.  I assume Lavin is the kind of coach who comes into a teenager's room and makes him feel special - that is how Lavin is good at recruiting, breaking a guy down and building him up does not seem to be Lavin's thing, so we need someone like that here.  If Keady was an official assistant, I am sure he could do that VERY easily, but that's not what he seems to want or what we want. 

Thus, we need a disciplinarian here.  We need practices to be ridiculously hard.  It's through that difficult experience that guys will bond and realize they are working towards something bigger than their individual goals.  Who is supposed to be the team disciplinarian here?

Assuming Dunlap returning is not possible, I am not content with the assistant coach situation here.  We need a different make up due to Lavin's strengths and weaknesses than we have had over the last 2 years.  I don't really know enough about the assistants to argue who or how many should go, but I think this is the only place we can shake things up a bit.  It could go a long way if the right assistant is brought on, IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

jayro

Re: Who will be the fall guy for this season?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »
The fall guy is the entire staff and team.

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »

They're all getting canned? Interesting.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »

I don't agree. Unless the players commit a crime, and ours didn't, it's on the coach. He had a healthy, deep and experienced roster, and he had no idea how to get them ready for there season, despite having as much time as any coach in the country. Lavin failed. WSill he be the fall guy? No. I think Kid's right. The assistant coaches will take the blame. He needs a smarter staff.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
The construction of this team was bad. Too many athletic wingers with no girth for rebounding and no shooters. Couple that with a low basketball IQ and this is what you get.

desco80

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »

What administration?   Besides Monasch, is there anyone actually in charge right now?
Step 1 is hiring a president who can then fill the administration with his people.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »

What administration?   Besides Monasch, is there anyone actually in charge right now?
Step 1 is hiring a president who can then fill the administration with his people.

The new admin's first act is NOT going to be to get rid of its basketball coach.  Lavin will be here next year.  Shake up at the assistant level must occur.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:08:58 PM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
I just dont see lavin firing these assistants he brought in. Chiles is his go to recruiter. Rico his former player, who he seems to rely on during games??  I thought rico was supposed to be a player development guru, if it were my call it would be him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »

The new admin's first act is NOT going to be to get rid of its basketball coach.  Lavin will be here next year.  Shake up at the assistant level must occur.

Oh, you're definitely right about that.   But in the long run it would be nice if the new president put his own AD in place, someone who would hold Lavin accountable. 

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »
Nobody.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
Pointer.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:30 PM »
Lavin ok to remain as HC as a figure head and recruiter but he needs a top assistant to do the actually coaching much like Al McGuire had Hank Raymonds at Marquette.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 12:28:36 AM »
I just dont see lavin firing these assistants he brought in. Chiles is his go to recruiter. Rico his former player, who he seems to rely on during games??  I thought rico was supposed to be a player development guru, if it were my call it would be him.

Agree with you there. Didn't see anyone develop.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
Hire Don Bassett from Albany to help with free throws.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
When we are doing well Chilles gets plenty of respect on these boards. I have no idea what he does, not trying to throw him under the bus. What does he actually do? He seems like an observer at games. Rico is only minimally  more involved. Again What do they do? Are they responsible for anything?

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »
The fall guy is the fans.   It always is.  SJU... #MarchSadness!

Dan

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
Assistants/Obekpa is what it will be

Lavin is who it should be
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:28:30 PM by Dan »

Johnny23

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
Assistants/Obekpa is what it will be

Lavin is who it should be

Bingo...For some reason Obekpa takes a lot of flack on here and by SJU fans in general from what I've read. I always hear about attitude issues but I've rarely seen him act out on the court. He always seems pretty composed out there. He is one of our best players by far, a defensive gem. When he's blocking shots and making shots this team is completely different. If you want to talk about lousy attitude and histrionics on the court then look no further than Harrison. But that's a whole other issue lol. Also the assistants will get flack and they are not good in game X's and O's guys either. So they share in that blame with Lavin. Ultimately though it's Lavin. Just watch any march madness game with some of these small schools and the coaches have great schemes and systems and make in game adjustments. So many good in-game coaches out there and we get stuck with a guy who is a great recruiter but can't coach any of his players to their potential and can't win big games. All the things that Lavin and staff don't know how to do.

Johnny23

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »
The fall guy is the fans.   It always is.  SJU... #MarchSadness!

Ha! It really is a recurring tragedy.