Anthony Mason Jr vs JaKarr Sampson

• 29 replies
Re: Anthony Mason Jr vs JaKarr Sampson
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
  To me, both are now former players who get respect for playing here. That said, AMJR gave us 4 years, including 1 redshirt medical reason and came back. He gets props for that.

Sampson's game is difficult to assess because his potential was touted far more than he delivered in 2 seasons. Still, he did play decently for most of the time but, not at a level that would say, he's NBA ready. And, terrible foul shooter, 58%. That's CYO level..

Here's my question, Hardy or Harrison?

Hardy. Not even close. That was a great year. He was a money player. I remember this board when a Norm signed Hardy, we all were like  "who"?
[/quote}

Have to agree re: Hardy...didn't think much of Mason so fall on the Jakarr side

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
AMJ Soph year - 12ppg, 6rpg, 2apg, 1spg, 1bpg

Sampson Soph year - 13ppg, 6rpg, 1apg, 1spg, 1bpg

Artest Soph year - 14ppg, 6rpg, 4apg, 2spg, 1bpg

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »

I hope your point inst to lump Artest in with those two. Do you know how huge 4 assists a game is? His extra bucket and 3 extra assists equate to 8 more points a game. Throw in defense and its a blowout.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:02:47 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »

I hope your point inst to lump Artest in with those two. Do you know how huge 4 assists a game is? His extra bucket and 3 extra assists equate to 8 more points a game. Throw in defense and its a blowout.

I really didn't have a point. Just found it a bit interesting that all 3 basically averaged the same ppg and rpg. I don't think numbers mean anything to NBA scouts. It's all about potential.

Sampson does have potential if he commits himself 100%. I still think it's a mistake by Sampson but I told Ron it was a mistake also. When he called me a few days after being drafted I did admit I was wrong. I hope we are all wrong and Sampson fulfills his dream of playing in the NBA.

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »

I really didn't have a point. Just found it a bit interesting that all 3 basically averaged the same ppg and rpg. I don't think numbers mean anything to NBA scouts. It's all about potential.

Sampson does have potential if he commits himself 100%. I still think it's a mistake by Sampson but I told Ron it was a mistake also. When he called me a few days after being drafted I did admit I was wrong. I hope we are all wrong and Sampson fulfills his dream of playing in the NBA.

Your point is actually well made.  The numbers by themselves don't mean that much.  While I agree that Sampson doesn't appear to be NBA ready, I think staying another year is also risky.  He probably should have gone last year.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »

Here's my thing when it comes to this (and I apologize if I'm repeating myself)  but Ron was going to be a pro whether he came out Soph, Jr, or Senior year.   He had "it".     IMO Sampson will not.    But it has nothing to do with him  coming out this year or next year.   
I agree with you that JS has potential, so he's got a shot.   But he's not really draftable this year, and that's with GMs assuming he'll improve.
They don't draft him thinking he'll be the player he is now, they draft him expecting he'll get a little bigger and be a better shooter in a year or two.   And even assuming that, the NBA still is high on JS.   

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
CJ Leslie was a very similar player last year.  He didn't get drafted, was picked up by the Knicks, didn't make the team, and is now in the D-League

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »
I will remember Sampson for his late-game gaffes this season -- fouling the 3-pt shooter at the end of the PSU game, his meltdown at the end of the Cuse game punctuated by that posterizing block, his awful heave at the end of regulation in the first Prov game and the short-arm layup he missed at the end of the BET game.  He had a few good moments at SJU, but he seemed to come up small in big spots.

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
^^  killjoy!

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
I will remember Sampson for his late-game gaffes this season -- fouling the 3-pt shooter at the end of the PSU game, his meltdown at the end of the Cuse game punctuated by that posterizing block, his awful heave at the end of regulation in the first Prov game and the short-arm layup he missed at the end of the BET game.  He had a few good moments at SJU, but he seemed to come up small in big spots.

Sampson must have been 0-20 in the front end of one-and-one's in the second half of close games.  I've never seen anyone less clutch.