Hammer to the Rock

• 33 replies
Re: Hammer to the Rock
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
I'm the last supporter standing it seems.  Even freaking MCNPA turned today! Here is why I am still hanging on by a thread....

-The sheer # of impact transfers and potential transfers this season is absolutely absurd, and we have ties to many of them (Mason, Lawrence, Calhoun)
- I think ADR will give us more than most believe and his brother is a huge body with experience and five fouls to give.  He was a top 150 kid...honestly how much worse than GG could he be?
-I think Balamou will break out and I would love to see him as the four in a four guard lineup because he plays much bigger than 6'4
-Lavin knew this was coming...that is why he said he would add 3-4 players when we only had three ships available.  He wouldn't say that unless he has some seeds planted.
-We had HORRIBLE post defense this year.  Sanchez was abysmal and Sampson was not far behind.  We didn't box anybody out ever and there is no way we could be worse.
-I love Sampson...Great kid and I will cheer for him...but he killed us in so many ways.  His jumpers took the offense out of rhythm very often, he missed clutch FTs on a regular basis, he had a ton of stupid fouls, he was good for 3-4 really bad mistakes every game, and he was a terrible screener.  CO would be a bigger loss, but both are very replaceable. 
-It's possible a kid like Joey or Adonis Delarosa could give us more than Sampson down low if they just set solid screens, box out, and defend.  That's not asking a lot. 
-Our back court is potentially one of the best in the country and I think defense will be the focus this off season after the way the season ended. 

Mostly reason #1.

I'm still with you Marillac if that means anything. I was not a big fan of Sampson's game for all the things you said. In a strange way I think Christian Jones can give us pretty much the same type production in a different way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:19:30 PM by Billthetruth »

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
I'm the last supporter standing it seems.  Even freaking MCNPA turned today! Here is why I am still hanging on by a thread....

-The sheer # of impact transfers and potential transfers this season is absolutely absurd, and we have ties to many of them (Mason, Lawrence, Calhoun)
- I think ADR will give us more than most believe and his brother is a huge body with experience and five fouls to give.  He was a top 150 kid...honestly how much worse than GG could he be?
-I think Balamou will break out and I would love to see him as the four in a four guard lineup because he plays much bigger than 6'4
-Lavin knew this was coming...that is why he said he would add 3-4 players when we only had three ships available.  He wouldn't say that unless he has some seeds planted.
-We had HORRIBLE post defense this year.  Sanchez was abysmal and Sampson was not far behind.  We didn't box anybody out ever and there is no way we could be worse.
-I love Sampson...Great kid and I will cheer for him...but he killed us in so many ways.  His jumpers took the offense out of rhythm very often, he missed clutch FTs on a regular basis, he had a ton of stupid fouls, he was good for 3-4 really bad mistakes every game, and he was a terrible screener.  CO would be a bigger loss, but both are very replaceable. 
-It's possible a kid like Joey or Adonis Delarosa could give us more than Sampson down low if they just set solid screens, box out, and defend.  That's not asking a lot. 
-Our back court is potentially one of the best in the country and I think defense will be the focus this off season after the way the season ended. 

Mostly reason #1.

I'm still with you Marillac if that means anything. I was not a big fan of Sampson's game for all the things you said. In a strange way I think Christian Jones can give us pretty much the same type production in a different way.

We got no production from the three and we got no defense from the four and five spots when CO wasn't in the game.  Sampson was the worst screener I've ever seen and how easy is he to get around anyway?  Good luck getting around Jones or either of the Delarosa boys.  That doesn't seem like much, but when you have a kid like Jordan and a shooter like Harrison it can be huge.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:12 PM »
The few times I've spoken to Christian Jones and Felix Balamou at the games, I've been pretty impressed with them. They seem like really nice guys. And both have great athletic ability.

Maybe if we have only a 8 or 9 man rotation it will give us more continuity then the helter shelter play we saw this year.

Keeping Obekpa would help immensely too.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
Some of you guys are crazy. Hammer and rock had a purpose. It motivated the team 4 years ago. I bet that saying meant something to hardy.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
Marillac, your hopes are too contingent on Obekpa returning and us landing some of the *top flight transfers.   
I don't think those are reliable assumptions.   
But your points about Sampson's game aren't off.  He did cost us points and possessions.  At the same time however 15 ft jump shots aren't exactly "out of position" for a power forward.   You're right to criticize his lack of rebounding, but the pick and pop is a staple for forwards his size.   Sampson didn't really have a problem floating around the perimeter.   He was limited to the foul line extended, as he should be.   Also fwiw, if Sampson and Obekpa are stationary on the low blocks, that makes for a very crowded lane for Jordan or Harrison to drive into.   Just saying, I don't think JS's positioning on the court (fast breaks excluded) were one of his major weaknesses. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:59:15 AM by desco80 »

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 12:30:45 AM »
Marillac, your hopes are too contingent on Obekpa returning and us landing some of the type flight transfers.   
But your points about Sampson's game aren't off.  He did cost us points and possessions.  At the same time however 15 ft jump shots aren't exactly "out of position" for a power forward.   You're right to criticize his lack of rebounding, but the pick and pop is a staple for forwards his size.   Sampson didn't really have a problem floating around the perimeter.   He was limited to the foul line extended, as he should be.   Also fwiw, if Sampson and Obekpa are stationary on the low blocks, that makes for a very crowded lane for Jordan or Harrison to drive into.   Just saying, I don't think JS's positioning on the court (fast breaks excluded) were one of his major weaknesses. 

He (sloppily) handled the ball way too much for my liking.  He also floated a lot during the first half, but settled down to close the season.  If the kid played to his potential--or at the very least played as a true stretch-four--we would miss him so much worse.  Over 60 minutes a game form the three-headed but no-brained trio of Sanchez-Pointer-Sampson was awful to watch and knocking that down to ten will be addition by subtraction.  Trust me, get a huge body in there to screen and roll to the basket--for not just shots, but rebounds as well--and you'll notice a big difference.  Run Harrison off double or staggered screens from Adonis and Jones and there will be some space.  Not possible with Sampson. 

Quite possibly my favorite play in basketball is three guys on the far side....big and PG on the other with ball in PG's hands...big sets a ball screen for PG  who dribbles toward the middle and when the opposing big hedges...screener goes backdoor for lob dunk.  It's always there and I could see Jones destroying people with it.  I've also seen teams use it for bouncy guards like that Bonneau that scored 25 on us a few years back.  Balamou would be a terror....all you need to give him is a step or two.

Sampson was truly one of the worst screeners in college basketball. 

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 12:38:25 AM »
Marillac, your hopes are too contingent on Obekpa returning and us landing some of the type flight transfers.   

He (sloppily) handled the ball way too much for my liking.  He also floated a lot during the first half, but settled down to close the season.  If the kid played to his potential--or at the very least played as a true stretch-four--we would miss him so much worse.  Over 60 minutes a game form the three-headed but no-brained trio of Sanchez-Pointer-Sampson was awful to watch and knocking that down to ten will be addition by subtraction.  Trust me, get a huge body in there to screen and roll to the basket--for not just shots, but rebounds as well--and you'll notice a big difference.  Run Harrison off double or staggered screens from Adonis and Jones and there will be some space.  Not possible with Sampson. 

Quite possibly my favorite play in basketball is three guys on the far side....big and PG on the other with ball in PG's hands...big sets a ball screen for PG  who dribbles toward the middle and when the opposing big hedges...screener goes backdoor for lob dunk.  It's always there and I could see Jones destroying people with it.  I've also seen teams use it for bouncy guards like that Bonneau that scored 25 on us a few years back.  Balamou would be a terror....all you need to give him is a step or two.

agree fully.

Sampson never did the little things that win close games, NEVER.

I'm not worries about losing Sampson, definitely worried about Obekpa. Ultimately I think he comes back and declares after next year no matter what.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:39:55 AM by Ron Artesticles »

Foad

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »

agree fully.

I'm not worries about losing Sampson, definitely worried about Obekpa. Ultimately I think he comes back and declares after next year no matter what.

Don't worry, nothing exposes the weaknesses in a SJU player faster than a transfer. If Obekpa leaves he'll be even a worse player than Sampson. Doesn't seem possible now, but give yourself time, he'll leave and it'll be more addition by subtraction. Suddenly he'll be the worst FT shooter anyone's ever seen and he has the worst tertiary foot work on his jump hook in history of college basketball and some overweight freshman you've never seen play who's a McDonald's All American screener is available to step right in and take his place, we won't miss a step.

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 08:03:08 AM »

agree fully.

Don't worry, nothing exposes the weaknesses in a SJU player faster than a transfer. If Obekpa leaves he'll be even a worse player than Sampson. Doesn't seem possible now, but give yourself time, he'll leave and it'll be more addition by subtraction. Suddenly he'll be the worst FT shooter anyone's ever seen and he has the worst tertiary foot work on his jump hook in history of college basketball and some overweight freshman you've never seen play who's a McDonald's All American screener is available to step right in and take his place, we won't miss a step.

Exactly, if anyone leaves SJU they suck & the guy who hasn't proved anything is better. Crap!

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:49 AM »
I would hope the school gets a president in place sooner rather than later so this disaster can end.
Lavin has obviously stopped working and his BS will only carry him so far.
Time to move on

I'm sorry to say it,  but this post may be on the money.  This is like an instant replay of the Jarvis years where there was instant success, then the coach was accused of a work stoppage.
You have to admit, Lavin's BS is more creative than Jarvis'.

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
I would hope the school gets a president in place sooner rather than later so this disaster can end.
Time to move on

I'm sorry to say it,  but this post may be on the money.  This is like an instant replay of the Jarvis years where there was instant success, then the coach was accused of a work stoppage.

And Keady is much better than Deuce on the post game

Scissor to the Paper

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
Hammer to Team

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »
Time to move on

There's nothing creative about saying that he likes the roster "as is" when we obviously have no frontcourt at all and nobody on our radar.   It's just stupid point blank.

SJUFAN

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
Time to move on

There's nothing creative about saying that he likes the roster "as is" when we obviously have no frontcourt at all and nobody on our radar.   It's just stupid point blank.

The truth is though, we don't know who Lavin is targeting. Just because we don't have a clue who they have on their radar doesn't mean they are not in on anyone. No one knew Branch was being targeted until it happened. Let the 14' class play out first before we go jumping out the window.