Relax people

• 106 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Relax people
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
Sampson is not a big loss, he had little impact on the game.

Right. Other than being the second leading scorer and leading rebounder he didn't contribute at all.

His scoring will be absorbed. His rebounding numbers was fools gold, he is a poor rebounder, gave up too many offensive rebounds, also something that will be absorbed. He was a terrible defender, terrible. I thought his defense alone was going to keep him here for 4 years. It makes sense for him to leave now because every game he played pushed him further away from the league. He's not 19 y/o. That potential people saw is turning into reality. Good kid, wish him the best. 

Foad

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
Good kid, wish him the best. 

Yeah. sounds like it.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
Sampson is not a big loss, he had little impact on the game.

Right. Other than being the second leading scorer and leading rebounder he didn't contribute at all.

His scoring will be absorbed. His rebounding numbers was fools gold, he is a poor rebounder, gave up too many offensive rebounds, also something that will be absorbed. He was a terrible defender, terrible. I thought his defense alone was going to keep him here for 4 years. It makes sense for him to leave now because every game he played pushed him further away from the league. He's not 19 y/o. That potential people saw is turning into reality. Good kid, wish him the best. 

Who will opposing defenses worry about in the paint? Obekpa? Jones? Sampson wasn't amazing, but he was the only interior scoring option we had. Obekpa is still raw offensively.  He has some potential scoring the ball, but he'll need to make dramatic improvement in order to off set the loss of Jakarr.

I wish Jakarr the best as well. I think we all do. But this he was never any good anyway crap has really gotten old at St.John's. The list of non qualifiers, transfers and targets that chose another school over us and then decided to go elsewhere is long

It's not as long w Lavin, as it was with Roberts, but he's gotta show development next season. It doesn't look like its realistic in any manor shape or form to expect Jones and Balamou to be major contributors next season, but if Lav is building a program, that's what will happen.

If we are going to sign kids who won't be here for more than 1 or 2 years, then we have develop talent to off set that. Lav isn't reloading like Calipari does. We have to show high school coaches that players learn w the St.John's system.

What have they learned? IDK.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:22:48 AM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
Too often I see the contrast of wanting a player to stay & be part of our success & picking away at the same player's deficits when he leaves. That is usually followed by "no big deal" commentary praising the potential of unproven players & unknown recruits.  An honest assessment based on the roster put together by May (hopefully) works for me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:50:37 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
Losing anyone hurts at this point. Especially with Jones the only replacement. Where is Felix?

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
Never fear "Cool Hand" Luke is here.  Let Lavin eat 100 eggs and I'll believe "Hammer to the Rock"

DFF6

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
Good points Paultzman and Poison.  Sampson was clearly the second best player on this team.  His departure hurts, period.  Jones didn't show me much when he played, other than he was built like a brickhouse but played timidly.  If he steps up anywhere close to Sampson, it's a blessing, and not to be expected by any rational extent.   Obekpa was hot and cold this year.  Maybe being "the man" in the front court next year helps him consistently perform at the higher level we saw glimpses of during the year, or maybe he regresses like Dom clearly did this year.  As for Dom, at least he can't play worse next year, right?  Harrison's improvement from last year to this year was, IMO, marginal, but he cut down on the eye rolls, and so by not being suspended during a critical stretch of the season, it was a big improvement from last year.  Phil will be Phil. Not sure where Felix gets minutes next season, or if he lost this past season because he played too well in a practice and got 2 minutes of pt.  Branch is the back up point guard, and not much more.  Jordan is the X factor for next year, IMO.  If he comes back, improves his jump shot and takes over the team as the leader on the floor, it could cover up a lot of deficiencies next year, but that's a big if.  I'm not expecting any impact players to come in next year, and I'm hoping not to lose anyone else.  If that happens, I think another 20 win season could be in the cards, and another bubble experience.  Can't realistically expect more than that.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
Branch is more than a backup pg.   

Our best lineup is Branch, Harrison, Jordan, Jones and Obekpa.   And it's not close.

Foad

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »

Our best lineup is Branch, Harrison, Jordan, Jones and Obekpa.   And it's not close.

Gun to head, you have to have a romantic candlelit dinner with one person, which would it be: Orlando Antigua or Jamal Branch.

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »

Not going to argue wih you about Branch.  It's not at the Carmine/Phil level, but I know you feel strongly about what he brings to the table.  Your lineup works if the other team's 3 is not a brusier, but I'd rather have Dom on the floor against the bigger teams for his defense. 

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

I agree with this.  Branch and Jordan on the floor together leads to perimeter opportunities for Harrison.  This is the best lineup

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »

I agree with this.  Branch and Jordan on the floor together leads to perimeter opportunities for Harrison.  This is the best lineup

But what does it matter? The statute of limitations on Phil will not expire in our lifetime.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:06:20 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »

Gun to head, you have to have a romantic candlelit dinner with one person, which would it be: Orlando Antigua or Jamal Branch.

Ahh that's a tough one.  For dinner I'd probably go with OA.  He's got the UK expense account, and seems like a steak house guy, or at the very least an Arthur Ave Italian-joint.
Branch seems like he might be a hipster off the court, and I have no patience for that. 

DFF6: in theory I agree with you.  When I day dream about SJU basketball Dom makes for the perfect SF.   And I used to hold out hope that he would be just that.  But unfortunately experience has taught me that the team functions best with him on the bench.   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:24:22 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »

But what does it matter? The statute of limitations on Phil will not expire in our lifetime.
Can't argue with that either.  The silver lining of Jakarr leaving and Sanchez graduating is that Lavin has fewer legitimate options and will have to play the best guys more often than not.  I think

DFF6

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 02:42:14 PM »

Ahh that's a tough one.  For dinner I'd probably go with OA.  He's got the UK expense account, and seems like a steak house guy, or at the very least an Arthur Ave Italian-joint.
Branch seems like he might be a hipster off the court, and I have no patience for that. 

DFF6: in theory I agree with you.  When I day dream about SJU basketball Dom makes for the perfect SF.   And I used to hold out hope that he would be just that.  But unfortunately experience has taught me that the team functions best with him on the bench.   

Good choice on OA.   Based on this year, you're right re: Dom.  I am, however, holding out hope that Dom gets back on track his senior year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:42:39 PM by DFF6 »

Foad

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
Good choice on OA.   Based on this year, you're right re: Dom.  I am, however, holding out hope that Dom gets back on track his senior year.

This is a key question, to the extent that there is any reason for optimism about next year: whether Pointer takes a step forward his senior year like say Donald Emanuel or a further step backward like say Reggie Jessie. He has the talent and athleticism to be a wrecking ball all over the court. Unfortunately he's so far displayed the smarts of a bowling ball.

desco80

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »

This is a key question, to the extent that there is any reason for optimism about next year: whether Pointer takes a step forward his senior year like say Donald Emanuel or a further step backward like say Reggie Jessie. He has the talent and athleticism to be a wrecking ball all over the court. Unfortunately he's so far displayed the smarts of a bowling ball.

I think I've seen you say this before.  Don't you think Jessie's numbers dropped as the talent around him diminished?  I don't remember him being noticeably worse, but I do recall the team looking completely lost after Artest and then Bootsy, Barkley, and Postel left.

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

And that was before it came out Phil was upset about something? Considering he is now a senior Lavin might make him point center or something. Declare before the season he is the best passing 6-2 Center in the history of the BE.

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 03:07:46 PM »

And that was before it came out Phil was upset about something? Considering he is now a senior Lavin might make him point center or something. Declare before the season he is the best passing 6-2 Center in the history of the BE.
"Point Center"  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:08:22 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
Jayon_1 who broke the 2 transfers today said we are persuing a 4 star and a big JUCO along with Delarosa, for what its worth

Only 4-star left uncommitted is Josh Cunningham fwiw.