Relax people

• 106 replies

MCNPA

Re: Relax people
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »
Nothing to relax about.  We are in bad shape for next year.  Lavin has to find a handful of guys that can really play and quickly.  No easy task.  An immediately eligible transfer would be nice, and maybe a diamond or two in addition to Delarosa and the kid from Orlando.

My sense is staff interest in Jay Henderson faded & Dayton in pursuit. Like his upside.

Strange that we've faded.  We need shooters here and another shooting guard besides d'angelo to take over when he's gone would be nice.  We have nothing in the cupboard at several spots as it stands.  I find it a precarious practice with our staff ignoring the importance of the 14' class. 

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
Nothing to relax about.  We are in bad shape for next year.  Lavin has to find a handful of guys that can really play and quickly.  No easy task.  An immediately eligible transfer would be nice, and maybe a diamond or two in addition to Delarosa and the kid from Orlando.

My sense is staff interest in Jay Henderson faded & Dayton in pursuit. Like his upside.

Strange that we've faded.  We need shooters here and another shooting guard besides d'angelo to take over when he's gone would be nice.  We have nothing in the cupboard at several spots as it stands.  I find it a precarious practice with our staff ignoring the importance of the 14' class. 

Well said.

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
The are freeing up space to sign Kevin Love in 2015

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »

At this point, I'd sooner use the immediate starting minutes to lure briscoe and branden sampson to the backcourt in '15.  Do need an experienced PG for '15 assuming Sheed leaves after next year

ras

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
On a positive note I didn't read anything today about another player leaving.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
On a positive note I didn't read anything today about another player leaving.

LOL Now that was funny.

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
Jayon_1 who broke the 2 transfers today said we are persuing a 4 star and a big JUCO along with Delarosa, for what its worth

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
Jayon_1 who broke the 2 transfers today said we are persuing a 4 star and a big JUCO along with Delarosa, for what its worth

I wouldn't put it past Lavin to pick up a few quality players this spring. If you add Delarosa and a solid JUCO big man, you have a pretty solid team going into next year (assuming nobody else transfers out).

I just don't like how it's now a mad scramble to get guys. I'm not in the know like some people on this board, but it's hard to ignore the feeling that Lavin dropped the ball on this class.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »

I wouldn't put it past Lavin to pick up a few quality players this spring. If you add Delarosa and a solid JUCO big man, you have a pretty solid team going into next year (assuming nobody else transfers out).

I just don't like how it's now a mad scramble to get guys. I'm not in the know like some people on this board, but it's hard to ignore the feeling that Lavin dropped the ball on this class.

Does it seem like a scramble because the program doesn't say much about recruits until they have them? 
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »

Lavin has been saying all year that he is going to bring in 3 or 4 players (wondered why 4 was a possibility).  He also said that he will not bring in just any kid but will look to fill specific needs.  He then said his primary focus will be 2015.  He has been very consistent in what he says.  Unfortunately, "Hammer to Rock", "Costco" and failure to make the tournament has caused everyone to label him a sociopath and a liar.  That's why it may seem like he is scrambling.

Tiznow

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »

Who is in the know on these boards?  No one here ever does anything but whine. 

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »

Lavin has been saying all year that he is going to bring in 3 or 4 players (wondered why 4 was a possibility).  He also said that he will not bring in just any kid but will look to fill specific needs.  He then said his primary focus will be 2015.  He has been very consistent in what he says.  Unfortunately, "Hammer to Rock", "Costco" and failure to make the tournament has caused everyone to label him a sociopath and a liar.  That's why it may seem like he is scrambling.

By specific needs, do you mean the inevitable athletic wing?

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »
Sampson is not a big loss, he had little impact on the game. Sampson's potential is what makes his departure feel worse than it actually is. Now if Obekpa left I would be worried, but that is not the case. Everyone needs to stop panicking and wait for the 14' class to materialize.

Tiznow

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
Sampson is not a big loss, he had little impact on the game. Sampson's potential is what makes his departure feel worse than it actually is. Now if Obekpa left I would be worried, but that is not the case. Everyone needs to stop panicking and wait for the 14' class to materialize.

Like many on this board, I'm looking forward to Dom getting max minutes.

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »

By specific needs, do you mean the inevitable athletic wing?

I don't read minds and I am not very good at speculation.  I just commented on what he has said.

I will point out that Jordan was not an athletic wing.  Neither was Max or Obekpa or Marco or Sanchez or Christian Jones.  That misconception comes from his first full class---where he had to replace 9 bodies.

SJUFAN

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:10 AM »

His replacement isn't on the roster........ yet.

Foad

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 06:33:38 AM »
Sampson is not a big loss, he had little impact on the game.

Right. Other than being the second leading scorer and leading rebounder he didn't contribute at all.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:34 AM »

If by max minutes you mean Max Hooper's minutes I'm with you.

DFF6

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »
If Dave had a Smackdown Poster of the Year category, it would need to be qualified with "other than Foad/Fun".

Tiger

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
How do we feel about 'poaching' some of Marquette's recruits while their coaching situation is in limbo?  Could we get involved with forward Marial Shayok (New Jersey)  or Center Satchel Pierce (Akron, Ohio)?  Does the Big East have restrictions on poaching recruits from a conference member.  Several years ago, SJU had some kind of commitment from Doug Wiggins, only to have him go to UCONN.  Folks here were pretty upset.