Current Roster

• 27 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Current Roster
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
My brother plays D3 ball - anyone have Lavins number so I can tell him he's got a player who's interested to transfer TO St. John's? ;)
"I drink and I know things"

DFF6

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »
Jay ‏@JayOn_1  3m
2 more players could leave the program also as a result of CO leaving
Expand

He mentioned the other two are Greene and Rysheed.

If that happens I can't see how the man can keep his job.

That's like being a manager and having half of your staff leave while your on vacation. You aint coming back to a job.

Now that Obekpa is gone, further defections are actually a good thing.  It forces the school to make a move.  Lavin can't keep kids he recruited, and who are guaranteed to receive major pt next year, then the school will have no choice but to drop the ax.  The faster we bring in a new coach, the better shot we have at the class of 2015.  Next year is lost no matter how you slice it, so might as well start with the rebuilding process asap.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
Gotta feel for Harrison if all this happens.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
The team is clearly in turmoil. Inexplicable really. Unthinkable to find ourselves in this position.  There are very few scenarios in which Lavin can survive this. And we as a program may not survive either. Fan support not good. We lose money every time we play at the Garden . The school is in difficult financial straits. We are at a crossroads. Just terrible.

I don't find it inexplicable or unthinkable: people such as my nostradamus-like self have been questioning Lavin's fitness since last spring. You just didn't notice because you were too busy explaining why the doubters were panic stricken and irrational. If you're feeling poorly have a stiff KoolAid and a lie down, this'll pass. 

The inexplicable part of it, is that Lavin could have avoided a lot of this had he signed 2-3 players this fall.  We seemingly ignored recruiting.  In fact, in the summer I think Lavin spoke about spring signings and nothing about fall recruiting.   Now all the recruits are gone to other programs and we are looking at local undersized Jucos to replace guys like Jakarr Sampson etc.  that's the inexplicable part.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
Yes but you have to work at recruiting. Apparently Lavin thought it was OK to take half his job responsibilities off. My theory on lack of current recruiting despite critical needs is he can't look a kid in the face and ask him to come to SJU because he knows he won't be here.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 08:15:18 PM »
The team is clearly in turmoil. Inexplicable really. Unthinkable to find ourselves in this position.  There are very few scenarios in which Lavin can survive this. And we as a program may not survive either. Fan support not good. We lose money every time we play at the Garden . The school is in difficult financial straits. We are at a crossroads. Just terrible.

I don't find it inexplicable or unthinkable: people such as my nostradamus-like self have been questioning Lavin's fitness since last spring. You just didn't notice because you were too busy explaining why the doubters were panic stricken and irrational. If you're feeling poorly have a stiff KoolAid and a lie down, this'll pass. 

The inexplicable part of it, is that Lavin could have avoided a lot of this had he signed 2-3 players this fall.  We seemingly ignored recruiting.  In fact, in the summer I think Lavin spoke about spring signings and nothing about fall recruiting.   Now all the recruits are gone to other programs and we are looking at local undersized Jucos to replace guys like Jakarr Sampson etc.  that's the inexplicable part.

I really don't understand the strategy behind not recruiting the 2014 class hard.
Even if CO and Sampson were here (which you knew there was a chance they wouldn't be) but best case scenario we were still losing Sanchez Gift and Marco.
Add in the fact that there was always a chance Jordan would have a great freshman year go pro, and it really makes you wonder wtf the staff was thinking.
approx 4 players were leaving this season one way or another. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:15:54 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
The answer to this is:

1. You are ALWAYS looking to improve your team
2. You recruit every class as HARD as you can.

If you do those two things, the chips will fall into place and your team will continue to get more talented and drive competition in practice and scrimmages.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
The answer to this is:

1. You are ALWAYS looking to improve your team
2. You recruit every class as HARD as you can.

If you do those two things, the chips will fall into place and your team will continue to get more talented and drive competition in practice and scrimmages.
These 2 demands are outrageous! Both require actual work!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:23:30 PM by Celtics11 »