JaKarr Samspon's NBA Draft fantasies

• 8 replies
JaKarr Samspon's NBA Draft fantasies
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Hey guys, haven't been on for a long time, but I have been lurking intermittently. I just wanted to ask if any if you have ever seen Sampson listed anywhere as a draft pick, first round or otherwise? I've looked at every mock draft I can find, and not one of them has mentioned the guy. NBADraft.net (which I have followed for like 15 years), ESPN, CBS Sports, and several others. Nothing. Obviously a case of an unscrupulous agent (sorry for redundancy) whispering in the kid's ear. Because from the mock drafts, JaKarr sure as hell isn't talking to NBA scouts or GMs.

The thing is, Lavin has never been pushy with kids contemplating leaving early. Going all the way back to Baron Davis, Lavin never tried to steer kids. Baron went #3, so it was probably the right call. But JaKarr could end up undrafted and playing in Europe, never to be heard from again. If there was ever a kid who needs to stay and develop a game, it's him. Interesting quotes from Boeheim,

Boeheim said, “Well, I talk to them about it. But you gotta be ready physically. Just because you play good in a college game, that doesn’t mean anything. Are you big enough, strong enough, can you shoot?

“It’s not even dominate. You gotta have a skillset. They don’t work with you up there. You’re either ready to play up there or you’re not. You go up there and you can’t shoot, you’re not playing. You up there and you’re not strong enough, you’re not playing. People forget how good the players are in the NBA.

It's hard not to look self-serving as a college coach telling a player not declare, but I have seen horror stories over the years, kids recruited a lot higher out of high school than Sampson just disappearing. I'm talking all-conference seniors.

I think guys like JaKarr need some tough love. Because if JaKarr Sampson is in the NBA in 3 years, I'm John Wooden.

I know JaKarr's already gone. But maybe if Jordan reads this board, he'll get a clue. And players do read boards.

Re: JaKarr Samspon's NBA Draft fantasies
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:55 PM »
Why shouldn't St. John's players live in a fantasy world? Many of their fans do!

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »
Sampson wouldn't be drafted if there was four rounds.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
GottliebShow NBA scout "Steve Lavin called for advice to Jakarr Sampson, I told him to tell him to go back to school, so he of course he came out"

hnk

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
I know he said he was hiring an agent,  but has anyone seen that he actually hired one?

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
I don't think Jakarr thinks he definitely will get drafted, despite what he said at the press conference.  If someone takes a flier in the 2nd round - great.  I'm sure he knows he can play overseas for a decent paycheck and is comfortable with it. 

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:01:22 PM »
@VERUS_TEAM: Proud to announce to the basketball world that Jakarr Sampson @KarrSampson14 of the @StJohnsRedStorm has officially joined our #verusfam !!!

His agent.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
How much will he earn in Eurpoe? I bet Hardy makes good money. Not so sure if Sean Evans makes alot.

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
@VERUS_TEAM: Proud to announce to the basketball world that Jakarr Sampson @KarrSampson14 of the @StJohnsRedStorm has officially joined our #verusfam !!!

His agent.

Better be a damn good agent. He's got his work cut out for him.