Have We Seen The Worst?

• 34 replies
Have We Seen The Worst?
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »
Quick Poll to judge the perception of this program on yet another day littered with terrible news.

MCNPA

Re: Have We Seen The Worst?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »
No chance we've seen the worst.  We're just getting warmed up...

DFF6

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »
I predict that when it's all said and done, these boards will make the UCLA boards about Lavin look like love letters.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
If more kids leave, Lavin will have to go = long term win.  If everyone stays, Lavin stays and will bring in a half decent front court, at a minimum = short term win.  Either way, this is the bottom

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:39 PM »
Well the good news is already breaking.  Joey Delarosa and his 0.8 ppg is enrolled at SJU.  When his brother Adonis enrolls elsewhere, then we'll really be rolling and back on track... ;-)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »
I predict that when it's all said and done, these boards will make the UCLA boards about Lavin look like love letters.

Agreed.

DFF6

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
If more kids leave, Lavin will have to go = long term win.  If everyone stays, Lavin stays and will bring in a half decent front court, at a minimum = short term win.  Either way, this is the bottom

What you call "long term win", I call "euthanasia", but whatevs...

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »

If we get gutted (Green + Jordan gone) and Lavin gets sent packing in favor of a young coach with some heart, I think the fan base would deal with it.  Plus the new coach would inherit at least some upperclassmen with high major talent.  I'd sign up for that right now if we could get Danny Hurley.

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:57:54 PM »

If we get gutted (Green + Jordan gone) and Lavin gets sent packing in favor of a young coach with some heart, I think the fan base would deal with it.  Plus the new coach would inherit at least some upperclassmen with high major talent.  I'd sign up for that right now if we could get Danny Hurley.

I'd sign up for that, too!  But a lot of if's have to first play out our way, and let's face it, nothing has played out our way for a long while. 

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
I'd sign up for anything that gets Steve Lavin out of this job.

If that means more kids leave, I'll take it, whatever it takes to get this guy out of our program.

Shitty things is, it's going to be rinse and repeat, new coach coming in will have to reload like Lavin attempted too in year 1. WHAT A MESS.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
Yes we have seen the worst and it is LAVIN!

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »

I agree.  I love Hurley, who is local and knows tons about basketball.  He also knows how to recruit and knows about winning.  I'd sign on for that any day.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
I am not mad anymore. Think it is kind of funny. Wont be laughing next winter, but right now it is amusing.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »

I'd sign up for that, too!  But a lot of if's have to first play out our way, and let's face it, nothing has played out our way for a long while. 
You are right on the money, I don't remember when things went our way. 2010 was great especially the Pitt game, then DJ goes down. History keeps repeating itself!

lihoop

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »
need to bring in Mullin to have some kind of capacity to revive the program

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »
you know whats really ironic, the new big east and FS1 needs St johns to not be a laughing stock like we are right now after launching a new network and  needing the league to have credibility.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »
need to bring in Mullin to have some kind of capacity to revive the program

I think we need to bring in a coach, who can actually coach. Lavin snowed us for a while, but he's not a game coach, and that means he's a bad coach. These players would mean a lot less if we had a system in place. Why would a player come to STJ? After 4 years, I still have no idea what kind of program Lavin runs. And neither does he.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
None of this should shock anyone. Unless you are one of those people who had their head so far up Lavin's arse that you could not possibly think something was going on. Many of us were saying how erratic Lavin was acting. From the crazy lineups, rotations, benching's and suspensions, it was clear that something was going on between Lavin and the players. This is almost starting to resemble what happened to Matt Doherty at UNC. Heck, the people who were telling me that things weren't great between Lavin and the players also pointed out that some of the players in question were not easy to deal with. The problem with that is of course is Lavin picked these guys and had to figure out how too make it work with some of them. It now turns out he couldn't even make the one guy he  seemed to love happy.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »
None of this should shock anyone. Unless you are one of those people who had their head so far up Lavin's arse that you could not possibly think something was going on. Many of us were saying how erratic Lavin was acting. From the crazy lineups, rotations, benching's and suspensions, it was clear that something was going on between Lavin and the players. This is almost starting to resemble what happened to Matt Doherty at UNC. Heck, the people who were telling me that things weren't great between Lavin and the players also pointed out that some of the players in question were not easy to deal with. The problem with that is of course is Lavin picked these guys and had to figure out how too make it work with some of them. It now turns out he couldn't even make the one guy he  seemed to love happy.

good post.

When you put it like that, your spot on, Obekpa suspended before the season even began. It all does seem to make much better sense now. That little win streak we had in the middle of the year might be looked back on as one of the worst things to happen. It may have bought Lav one more year to REALLY destroy any semblance we have as a program.

I really hope a scathing article hits the papers in the morning.