What would make fans happy..?

• 53 replies
Re: What would make fans happy..?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
and would rather watch a well coached cohesive team basketball beat Stony Brook

Spoken like a true Albany fan.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
I have been reading this site and Redmen (don't post there) and it seems to me that a massive majority of the St. John's fan base can never be happy or satisfied.

People can try to spin things anyway they like but the program has been average, if not below average, for 20 years.

The days of saying SJU is in the same league as the elite basketball programs in the country because of where they stand on the all time wins list are over. Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc....   they are in a different world then we are right now and to say different is a fan just not being honest.

Does SJU have the potential to be very good again - YES but its going to take time and certainly not one cycle of a coaches own recruits.

If teams like George Mason, Butler, VCU, Wichita State can make a run to the Final Four, there is no reason to think that SJU can not and will not but to expect things like that regularly is just not happening.

Whether or not you think Coach Lavin is right guy for the job here can't change one major thing - he has made SJU relevant again on the recruiting front. I do think he needs more help on the bench and needs to address it sooner rather than later.

All that said too,  Coach Lavin and the staff are in a very tough spot as the next school year begins. If they don't give him an extension, he and the staff will be screwed recruiting next year and if he doesn't land a strong 2015 class it could set up the entire program for a major step backwards after next season.

**I edited the original post to remove the word "we" and replaced with SJU - don't want any posters telling me that I am not part of the program or I am really a closet SHU fan.
don't know if anyone noticed but at the bottom of pmg's post his reason for editing it was pretty funny. :)

uwsfan

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
I have been reading this site and Redmen (don't post there) and it seems to me that a massive majority of the St. John's fan base can never be happy or satisfied.

People can try to spin things anyway they like but the program has been average, if not below average, for 20 years.

The days of saying SJU is in the same league as the elite basketball programs in the country because of where they stand on the all time wins list are over. Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc....   they are in a different world then we are right now and to say different is a fan just not being honest.

Does SJU have the potential to be very good again - YES but its going to take time and certainly not one cycle of a coaches own recruits.

If teams like George Mason, Butler, VCU, Wichita State can make a run to the Final Four, there is no reason to think that SJU can not and will not but to expect things like that regularly is just not happening.

Whether or not you think Coach Lavin is right guy for the job here can't change one major thing - he has made SJU relevant again on the recruiting front. I do think he needs more help on the bench and needs to address it sooner rather than later.

All that said too,  Coach Lavin and the staff are in a very tough spot as the next school year begins. If they don't give him an extension, he and the staff will be screwed recruiting next year and if he doesn't land a strong 2015 class it could set up the entire program for a major step backwards after next season.

**I edited the original post to remove the word "we" and replaced with SJU - don't want any posters telling me that I am not part of the program or I am really a closet SHU fan.

Bunch of nonsense.

After next season when the phony tv promoter posing as a coach is gone and we have Archie Miller, Hurley or some other good coach, we will see a rapid improvement and tourney births  in far less time than it took Lavin to produce NIT underachievers.

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

Bunch of nonsense.

After next season when the phony tv promoter posing as a coach is gone and we have Archie Miller, Hurley or some other good coach, we will see a rapid improvement and tourney births  in far less time than it took Lavin to produce NIT underachievers.

Archie Miller? I'll be on the UWS tonight. Please share whatever you are smoking. Thanks!

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
I think Lavin cost us the season. I think he believed he had very good players and we would just coast through the Big East. I think his ego was that big. His decisions weren't dumb they were amazingly stupid. I hope he learned his lesson. I think (hope) we are going to be good this year. I hope he earns an extention, that should mean we had a good season.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 12:53:44 PM »
In a word nothing!

desco80

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
And here come the Lavin supporters in ...3,....2,....1

"another thread has been hijacked, I come here to discuss whether our head coach is wonderful or merely swell".

"but, but, but... he needs more time!  change is just around the corner".

"how can he win with players (that he recruited) that suck!  They're so overrated and selfish.   It's not like they were consistently judged among to be among the best basketball players in their class by scouts and other head coaches. "

"it's all Baldi's fault"
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:59:07 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
It doesn't bother me that people aren't happy, because they shouldn't be. I'm not either. What does bother me, is people that act like this is the worst team they've ever seen, or use other hyperbole to describe the coach or program.

I also can't stand the completely made up assertion that us "Lavin supporters" think everything is going wonderfully. No, incorrect. Not one person has said that or anything remotely close to it. We just don't blame the coach for everything, even things out of his control and do not think he deserves to be fired after a 20 win season in which we just missed a bid by a win or two.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
SJU was never in the league with teams like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Syracuse... Those teams have won a National Championship. They are above all else.

This team has to finish top 3 in this watered down Big East and not have to sweat out a bid

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
To be honest, I try to just support the team. If Lavin left tomorrow I could care less what he does with the rest of his career. Since he is under contract for the next few years, I hope he does well here. Don't you?

To me it's pointless to fantasize about other coaches taking a job that isn't even available at the moment.

Yes, Lavin has his flaws but so do most coaches out there. We just see the flaws in Lavin because we are watching his every move. If you feel that it's best to bitch over every mistake the staff makes, be my guest.

The boards would be very boring if everyone agreed on everything.

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
SJU was never in the league with teams like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Syracuse... Those teams have won a National Championship. They are above all else.

This team has to finish top 3 in this watered down Big East and not have to sweat out a bid

They finished in 3rd place last year and didn't have to sweat out a bid because it wasn't coming.  They have to do a bit more than just come in third.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

They finished in 3rd place last year and didn't have to sweat out a bid because it wasn't coming.  They have to do a bit more than just come in third.

So you think the league is lacking too?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:19:39 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
It doesn't bother me that people aren't happy, because they shouldn't be. I'm not either. What does bother me, is people that act like this is the worst team they've ever seen, or use other hyperbole to describe the coach or program.

I also can't stand the completely made up assertion that us "Lavin supporters" think everything is going wonderfully. No, incorrect. Not one person has said that or anything remotely close to it. We just don't blame the coach for everything, even things out of his control and do not think he deserves to be fired after a 20 win season in which we just missed a bid by a win or two.

I have followed this team for over 50 years.  It's the first time one quit on the coach and the fans.  The "S" on their shirts stood for selfish.  That qualifies as the worst team I ever saw.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »

So you think the league is lacking too?

Compared to he past?  Yeah, but I was really trying to say that it's not just about wins and 3rd place.  The league is lacking enough that you need to have some signature wins in or out of conference.  In the old days you had to have those wins to get in the top 5 of the BE since you played those types of games at least once per week, in this conference not so often.  Last year STJ had 10 wins in conference with 1 quality win.  Combine that with no quality wins OOC and you've made your own bed.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »

I have followed this team for over 50 years.  It's the first time one quit on the coach and the fans.  The "S" on their shirts stood for selfish.  That qualifies as the worst team I ever saw.

I'm not one for hyperbole, so I am hesitant to use the word "worst", but the team did quit on the coach and the fans and it was totally embarrassing.  I'm not even sure who is to blame (players or coach) but it should not happen again.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 03:34:06 PM »

And still managed 20 wins and a 1 seed NIT? I don't buy it. It wasn't obvious to me that the team quit at any point. We would have been a lot worse if that was the case. If you honestly think a 20 win team is the worst SJU team in 50 years that is sad. The Robert Morris catastrophe was a result of disappointment of not making the tournament. It was a pathetic effort, and there are no excuses for it. Maybe they quit for a meaningless game, but other than that, your post is baseless.

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
Bunch of nonsense.

At what point does it not become a bunch of nonsense? Our program hasn't exactly been the becon of light over the past 20 years. Each time the team struggles its always the next coach could do it. Guess what? Its been twenty years now and outside of those couple years under Jarvis, we have been irrelevant. At some point you need to look at reality instead of living in fantasy land consumed with the notions of what ifs.   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:05:51 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »

[/quote

Speaking in general terms not specific to Lavin-in the pro's you have a GM and a coach and if things go bad one or the other gets blamed. In college the coach is both the GM (he procures the players) and the coach. So if things go bad in college who exactly do you old accountable?

hnk

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »
People forget Sheed did not play in the NIT game.  We wouldn't have gotten lit up as badly as we did if he played.

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
People forget Sheed did not play in the NIT game.  We wouldn't have gotten lit up as badly as we did if he played.

Please let us not embarrass ourselves further by revisiting that debacle. Man up and accept a flogging period.