Sweet 16 or bust?

• 50 replies
Sweet 16 or bust?
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:08:18 PM »
What are your expectations? What is your tipping point? It's about time. Get there or go home.

desco80

Re: Sweet 16 or bust?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
I'll take an appearance.  That's all I freakin want this season.  I don't care if we're in a play-in-game.   Just get in.
Otherwise, happy trails Steve..

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
I'll take an appearance.  That's all I freakin want this season.  I don't care if we're in a play-in-game.   Just get in.
Otherwise, happy trails Steve..

Agree

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
Veteran team. I have higher expectations

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »

Hopefully Lavin can surprise me & capably coach & lead the team to a second game in Dance.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »

Sweet 16 or bust. Agreed.  Last season should have been the year we made the tournament.  Four years ago we all thought we'd be competing for a Final Four.  I think this will be  special season.  Guards are too strong....got some glue guys down low.  No freshman pg to rely on. 

If guys knew their roles last season (Greene playing SG and not handling, Branch being more aggressive, Pointer playing like a slashing, athletic forward, Sampson and Sanchez playing like bigs, etc) the team could have won 3-5 more games.

We'll beat Duke, we'll be ranked, we'll go to the Sweet 16, Johnnyfan and Otis will send Marillac pm's apologizing for doubting Lavin and thanking Marillac for staying true, Baldi will ask Marillac to evaluate his wedding videos to break down the best dancers...it's going to be a great season. 

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
Getting in is enough. The rest of tourney can be luck of the draw, etc. I expect a very good conference record and some wins that are deemed tough at the time they are played.  Time for the pre-season record predictions.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »

Sweet 16 or bust. Agreed.  Last season should have been the year we made the tournament.  Four years ago we all thought we'd be competing for a Final Four.  I think this will be  special season.  Guards are too strong....got some glue guys down low.  No freshman pg to rely on. 

If guys knew their roles last season (Greene playing SG and not handling, Branch being more aggressive, Pointer playing like a slashing, athletic forward, Sampson and Sanchez playing like bigs, etc) the team could have won 3-5 more games.

We'll beat Duke, we'll be ranked, we'll go to the Sweet 16, Johnnyfan and Otis will send Marillac pm's apologizing for doubting Lavin and thanking Marillac for staying true, Baldi will ask Marillac to evaluate his wedding videos to break down the best dancers...it's going to be a great season. 

If we accomplish all those things I'll kiss your butt (over your clothes that is)!

desco80

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »
It's hard to conscientiously set yourself up like this, but it's a great feeling when you have mild expectations and your team surprises you.
Both recent Giants super bowl wins, and our 2010 season w the seniors were very enjoyable to me for that reason. 
Last year stung like a bitch.   It's all about expectations. 

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
It's hard to conscientiously set yourself up like this, but it's a great feeling when you have mild expectations and your team surprises you.
Both recent Giants super bowl wins, and our 2010 season w the seniors were very enjoyable to me for that reason. 
Last year stung like a bitch.   It's all about expectations. 

Well said.   

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »
What are your expectations?

I'm a St. John's fan.  My expectation is doom!

Poison

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
Success is making the dance. Anything more is gravy.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
Making the dance is and should be the standard. Success should be winning the big east and winning some games in the tournament. We have good players and a tough but fair schedule. I think Lavin learns from his mistakes and gives us a successful season.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
Getting in is enough. The rest of tourney can be luck of the draw, etc. I expect a very good conference record and some wins that are deemed tough at the time they are played.  Time for the pre-season record predictions.

That's true about the tourney.  But a target of being seeded 8 or better is realistic.  At that seeding you should be favored to win a game and then let's see about Sweet Sixteen. 

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
If we don't make the tourney again, I think Lavin walks away. WIN / WIN that way ;)

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:51:46 PM »
If we don't make the tourney again, I think Lavin walks away. WIN / WIN that way ;)
Agree I think we get his best effort. I expect him to do well. If not he can always do tv

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
most critical season in long time...we must make tourney and land top recruiting class...or we are starting over

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:38 PM »

Poison

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »
most critical season in long time...we must make tourney and land top recruiting class...or we are starting over

If we land a top 5 class, we'll still be starting over.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »

If we land a top 5 class, we'll still be starting over.

Might as well just give up then.