State of the Union

• 79 replies
Re: State of the Union
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
I have a hard time believing Lavin will be back next year under any circumstance. Either we make the tournament and he parlays that into a different job in which he can fleece the fanbase or we miss the tournament and he gets fired. There's no way he is going to want to coach a losing team here next season.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
we had a great season thanks to a team of overachieving 2nd and third tier players, taught and put together by Roberts.  Lavin had nothing to do with it, and Dunlap had a limited influence.     
Your memory isnt is that great. You probably weren't at many of those 40 point blowouts vs Georgetown or west Virgina.  Lavin deserves plenty of criticism but he also should get credit for that year. He did bring in Dunlap.

From what I've heard though he also chose not to being dunlap  back after charlotte fired him.   Lavin gets a strike against him for that one.   

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
we had a great season thanks to a team of overachieving 2nd and third tier players, taught and put together by Roberts.  Lavin had nothing to do with it, and Dunlap had a limited influence.     
Your memory isnt is that great. You probably weren't at many of those 40 point blowouts vs Georgetown or west Virgina.  Lavin deserves plenty of criticism but he also should get credit for that year. He did bring in Dunlap.

From what I've heard though he also chose not to being dunlap  back after charlotte fired him.   Lavin gets a strike against him for that one.   

Really?

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
I don't like sticking up for this guy. But he isn't the anti Christ . This week people were blaming him for a player being to out of shape to play. I want to have a fun season. Hope this guy gives it to me. I am trying to stay positive.

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
I lost a lot of confidence in Lavin tonight. If we have a disappointing season along with a poor recruiting class, I have no problem parting ways. But I want to try to enjoy this season first.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:53:41 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:19 PM »
Massiello. He will have this team relevant in 3 years

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
We all knew that Lavin couldn't coach.
We thought that he could recruit, but at ST. John's he can't.

With no frontcourt besides Obekpa, we won't get to the NCAA again.

So why keep Lavin?

Best post I've seen in awhile. Think of it this way. What coach has come here in last 25 years  and been successful?  Jarvis ? Fran?  Time to start thinking differently

Fran was successful IMO. He landed McDonald's kids. He found true sleepers. He wasn't super sweet and nice to all of the players, but his job wasn't to be a buddy.

Fran  recruited my brother. It was between my brother and Ted Ellis to run the point at Manhattan College. Fran called and said they just signed Ellis. Ellis led Manhattan to a win in the tourney against I believe Ok St.? , but shortly after molested a girl with a mop handle
It was Oklahoma.  And Kelvin Sampson was saaaaaalty in the interview after the loss.  I vivdly remember his sore loser attitude: "The better team didn't win today..."  Didn't even congratulate or recognize Manhattan one Iona, I mean iota - lol  I didn't know about your brother at all - where did he wind up going?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:56:17 PM by bball purist »

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
I really think we have a good season this year. Problem with that is he is gets an extension . If we implode instead who is going to come here ?

boo3

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
Massiello. He will have this team relevant in 3 years

I doubt they bring in Massiello.. Name is sort of toxic.. Personally, i don't care.. But this mom and pop organization cares about that crap

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
Masiello  would be the only guy who would take this job next year. A real good coach would never come here with the roster being as bare as it's going to be next year. St. John's name holds no aura anymore and most teams play in bigger arenas than MSG anyway. The administration has a decision to make do you want to be relevant again or are you content with being mediocre. 

boo3

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »
 Hurley?

Moose

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
I don't like sticking up for this guy. But he isn't the anti Christ .

It's pretty close
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:55 PM »

Really?

Yea.  It's far enough in the past that I think the person  who told me wont mind me repeating it.   But apparently Dunlap was interested in coming back for little $$ since the Bobcats were still paying him, but he was told "thanks, but no thanks"

I guess the genius thought he had everything under control and didn't want to be overshadowed.

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:34 PM »
our guys seem to be taking it well...

Sheed:
CONGRATS LIL HOME ON COMMITTING TO KENTUCKY @zaaay_ #EAT

bighomieiv  (phil) 39 minutes ago
@zaaay_ turn up my nigga

Because a basketball player getting offered by Kentucky is like a hopeful engineer getting into MIT.  Why the hell wouldn't you go.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Which Hurley are we talking about?

desco80

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
Hurley?

Danny or Bobby ?
I'd prefer Danny. 

boo3

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
 Danny preferred, but I'm sure his sights are set a bit higher...

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »
Lavin has two other big name recruits considering SJU but does anyone think either of them would pick SJU? Who else is he recruiting?

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
I think Danny would consider the SJU job the same as Rhode Island. Bobby is intriguing as well. It seems like they would have to go an assistant coach with good recruiting connections and hope for the best.....sounds like a Norm Roberts to me.

wpc77

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
Problem is the strategy. When you have a program that is not in a power conference, better to go after kids who fit your system than studs. Like jay wright. Stinks. You would think this would have been apparent to lavin by now.