Slice vs. SJU staff

• 33 replies

pmg911

Slice vs. SJU staff
« on: November 14, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »
Lavin offered to make him the or one of the highest paid assistants in the country when he was on his last legs at Manhattan - Barry turned the offer down.. .  instead we have Tony Chiles...

Barry then played a "key role" in making sure Kyle Anderson went to UCLA, helping out Howland and hurting SJU (but more SHU in reality)

Barry then goes to Kentucky and out recruits our entire staff in a matter of months on a recruit that the entire staff has spent 3 years recruiting....

Lavin is probably having nightmares about Slice...

Re: Slice vs. SJU staff
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
Could probably get him if school hires Howland. Doubt school goes back to back UCLA.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:49:20 AM »
As much as we want to praise Slice, this falls on the head of Lavin and our inept staff. They are the failure.

And yes, this is just another reminder of someone turning SJU away (Slice) and finding success. Damn shame.

hnk

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 10:11:21 AM »
Could Slice be hired as our head coach if Lavin leaves?  I don't know....just asking.  Would he be good?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »
As much as we want to praise Slice, this falls on the head of Lavin and our inept staff. They are the failure.

And yes, this is just another reminder of someone turning SJU away (Slice) and finding success. Damn shame.

Staff actually did a great job recruiting Briscoe. Couldn't have done it any better.

If you want to be angry for other recruiting woes or plans then you certainly have a gripe.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
Could Slice be hired as our head coach if Lavin leaves?  I don't know....just asking.  Would he be good?

Ask Manhattan

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »

Ask Manhattan

It's one thing being an excellent recruiter and not coach and then trying to get kids to Manhattan, it's another to be able to sell MSG and the Big East.  Is he as good or better a game coach than Lavin?  Could he/would he hire the right assistants?  I wouldn't even mind him at this point assuming he's not a worse game coach than Lavin, and is not so egotistical as to hire the best and right assistants.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »

Ask Manhattan

It's one thing being an excellent recruiter and not coach and then trying to get kids to Manhattan, it's another to be able to sell MSG and the Big East.  Is he as good or better a game coach than Lavin?  Could he/would he hire the right assistants?  I wouldn't even mind him at this point assuming he's not a worse game coach than Lavin, and is not so egotistical as to hire the best and right assistants.

My personal opinion is that his best value comes as an assistant. Hard pressed to find a better recruiter.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
PMG no doubt Slice is a great recruiter, but Cal is the best and him plus Kentucky's program are the draws. No different than when Chiles has done well (Jordan) folks like yourself point to Lavs as being the primary reason for the commitment.  I fault that staff for 2014 and for not locking down others to date for 2015. But to go neck and neck with KY to the wire and fall short is nothing to be ashamed of. Staff seemed to do their job with IB.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:49:01 AM »
PMG no doubt Slice is a great recruiter, but Cal is the best and him plus Kentucky's program are the draws. No different than when Chiles has done well (Jordan) folks like yourself point to Lavs as being the primary reason for the commitment.  I fault that staff for 2014 and for not locking down others to date for 2015. But to go neck and neck with KY to the wire and fall short is nothing to be ashamed of. Staff seemed to do their job with IB.

Sorry prjohnnies...     Tony Chiles is TERRIBLE...   he has been more of a hinderence to our program, please don't even get me started...

That said, Briscoe is not on him..    the kid was delivered to Lavin to close and he didn't close...   

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I know you don't like Chiles (though you have never said why). However, others like Dave say he is very good and an important asset. KOB too. Choz credited Chiles a lot with Jordan.

On Briscoe, I don't view it as Lavin failing to close. I fault him for not having a better 2014 class to sell to IB. But I can't fault IB for wanting to attend a school that has been 1000 times better and is a NBA machine.

SJUFAN

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
I know you don't like Chiles (though you have never said why). However, others like Dave say he is very good and an important asset. KOB too. Choz credited Chiles a lot with Jordan.

On Briscoe, I don't view it as Lavin failing to close. I fault him for not having a better 2014 class to sell to IB. But I can't fault IB for wanting to attend a school that has been 1000 times better and is a NBA machine.

So Chiles gets credit for Jordan and gets a pass for 2014 and maybe 2015? He is the lead recruiter, this is what he suppose to do. Who else are we on for the 2015 class with all the ships and playing time to offer? It's been said b4, the problem isn't that we lost IB, the problem is we don't have anyone else. I just would love to hear the logic from the staff why 2014 wasn't a point of focus. It's simply an excuse to cover up for Chiles short comings. If they can't rebound and bring in a solid class for 2015, we need to go in another direction.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
Did Chiles even interview for a position on the staff? Or was he hired without even meeting Lavin?

desco80

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »

Sorry prjohnnies...     Tony Chiles is TERRIBLE...   he has been more of a hinderence to our program, please don't even get me started...

That said, Briscoe is not on him..    the kid was delivered to Lavin to close and he didn't close...   

PMG can you open up a little bit about this?    You've been telling us for awhile that Chiles is a problem, I'd like to hear why you think that.

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

PMG can you open up a little bit about this?    You've been telling us for awhile that Chiles is a problem, I'd like to hear why you think that.

He is the lead recruiter - where are the recruits..?

desco80

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »

He is the lead recruiter - where are the recruits..?

Fair enough.   I guess the results do speak for themselves.   I didn't know if he had a demeanor that turned people off or soemthing like that. 

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

Staff actually did a great job recruiting Briscoe. Couldn't have done it any better.

If you want to be angry for other recruiting woes or plans then you certainly have a gripe.

It's a valid point: we're not the first school Kentucky has skinned. I'm disappointed as hell, but it would have been a big win to beat Kentucky for a kid like Briscoe.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:06:55 PM by Firestorm »

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

It's a valid point: we're not the first school Kentucky has skinned. I'm disappointed as hell, but it would have been a big win to beat Kentucky for a kid like Briscoe.

It's a sign of things to come in the future. Louisville did the same thing to Prov with Mitchell.

Once a kid blows up to the point the big's start calling, he's already gone.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
Of course he takes a hit for 2014 and 2015 if the latter does not end up being a good class. Just like he gets credit for the years before 2014.   I'm just curious as to why someone like Dave/Choz/KOB think he is so valuable, while someone like PMG is so anti-Chiles. From past posts, it doesn't seem 100% tied to results, but rather relates to other issues.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
Lavin offered to make him the or one of the highest paid assistants in the country when he was on his last legs at Manhattan - Barry turned the offer down.. .  instead we have Tony Chiles...

Barry then played a "key role" in making sure Kyle Anderson went to UCLA, helping out Howland and hurting SJU (but more SHU in reality)

Barry then goes to Kentucky and out recruits our entire staff in a matter of months on a recruit that the entire staff has spent 3 years recruiting....

Lavin is probably having nightmares about Slice...

Not doubting his recruiting ability...But he didn't out recruit SJ's staff...Calipari got this kid -not Slice - regardless of whether Slice was the messenger
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:56:30 PM by section3 »