Slice vs. SJU staff

• 33 replies
Re: Slice vs. SJU staff
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »
Lavin offered to make him the or one of the highest paid assistants in the country when he was on his last legs at Manhattan - Barry turned the offer down.. .  instead we have Tony Chiles...

Barry then played a "key role" in making sure Kyle Anderson went to UCLA, helping out Howland and hurting SJU (but more SHU in reality)

Barry then goes to Kentucky and out recruits our entire staff in a matter of months on a recruit that the entire staff has spent 3 years recruiting....

Lavin is probably having nightmares about Slice...

Not doubting his recruiting ability...But he didn't out recruit SJ's staff...Calipari got this kid -not Slice - regardless of whether Slice was the messenger
And what the hell did Cal say to get him to sign the next day after stating he wasn't signing a NLI?  And btw, Cal can suck it for throwing in the dig that he wasn't begging Briscoe.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:59:36 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
I hate Cal and Kentucky. But him and the program are the draw, not Slice.  This isn't NY/NJ kids leaving the area for Pitt, for which Slice gets all the credit in the world.

Foad

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »
And what the hell did Cal say to get him to sign the next day after stating he wasn't signing a NLI?

He $aid if you don't $ign, your $cholar$hip i$ avalable, wherea$ if you$ign, it'$ re$erved. Lavin might have to take shit from 18 year olds, but Johnnie Clamchowder doesn't. That's what happens when you're a winner.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
And what the hell did Cal say to get him to sign the next day after stating he wasn't signing a NLI?

He $aid if you don't $ign, your $cholar$hip i$ avalable, wherea$ if you$ign, it'$ re$erved. Lavin might have to take shit from 18 year olds, but Johnnie Clamchowder doesn't. That's what happens when you're a winner.
I already knew who would answer first  ;D 

SJUFAN

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »
I hate Cal and Kentucky. But him and the program are the draw, not Slice.  This isn't NY/NJ kids leaving the area for Pitt, for which Slice gets all the credit in the world.

Granted it was Cal and UK who sealed the deal, but Slice does the leg work. When you hear UK is involved with a kid that's because Slice is making the rounds. Look how many kids Providence is involved with. Were the hell is SJU? That's Chiles job, get involved.

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
I agree with you SJUFan. My comment did not suggest that Chiles is doing a great job with 2015. I only meant to say that as good as Slice is, he didn't outrecruit the staff for Briscoe. We were involved and lost because right now Cal and Kentucky as a combo are probably the best attraction in the business.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
I agree with you SJUFan. My comment did not suggest that Chiles is doing a great job with 2015. I only meant to say that as good as Slice is, he didn't outrecruit the staff for Briscoe. We were involved and lost because right now Cal and Kentucky as a combo are probably the best attraction in the business.

Cal has a well oiled one and done machine going on right now that is the best in the country. Brisoce pretty much said that is what he wants to do.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »
We didn't get out recruited Lavin and staff did everything right.  Simply, they are selling a better product.  It was like being in a fight where we had a steak knife and Kentucky had a 357 magnum.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »
PMG no doubt Slice is a great recruiter, but Cal is the best and him plus Kentucky's program are the draws. No different than when Chiles has done well (Jordan) folks like yourself point to Lavs as being the primary reason for the commitment.  I fault that staff for 2014 and for not locking down others to date for 2015. But to go neck and neck with KY to the wire and fall short is nothing to be ashamed of. Staff seemed to do their job with IB.

Sorry prjohnnies...     Tony Chiles is TERRIBLE...   he has been more of a hinderence to our program, please don't even get me started...

That said, Briscoe is not on him..    the kid was delivered to Lavin to close and he didn't close...   

PMG can you open up a little bit about this?    You've been telling us for awhile that Chiles is a problem, I'd like to hear why you think that.

He is the lead recruiter - where are the recruits..?

Phil Greene - 4 year starter
Rysheed Jordan #26 RSCI 2013
Dom Pointer #35 RSCI 2011
Moe Harkless #38 RSCI 2011 (#15 overall draft pick in 2012 NBA draft)
Jakarr Sampson #40 RSCI 2011 (started season with NBA)
D'Angelo Harrison #47 RSCI 2011
Jamal Branch #52 RSCI 2011
Chris Obekpa #69 RSCI 2012
Amir Garrett #73 RSCI 2011
Dwayne Polee #90 RSCI 2010 (projected 2nd round NBA pick 2015 draft)

God's Gift Achuiwa -D-2 JUCO All-American
Orlando Sanchez - D-1 JUCO All-American

Adonis Delarosa - 1st team all NYC, top 150 recruit
Amar Alibegovic - Solid international big man

Samir Doughty - Top 200 3* guard
2015 finalists for:  #4 RSCI Chieck Diallo #42 RSCI Brandon Sampson and Deshawn Freeman -likely D-1 JUCO AA

Tiznow

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »
How did Slice do when he was on his own with his own staff?  Others like Wright rose to the top.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 03:16:09 AM »
PMG no doubt Slice is a great recruiter, but Cal is the best and him plus Kentucky's program are the draws. No different than when Chiles has done well (Jordan) folks like yourself point to Lavs as being the primary reason for the commitment.  I fault that staff for 2014 and for not locking down others to date for 2015. But to go neck and neck with KY to the wire and fall short is nothing to be ashamed of. Staff seemed to do their job with IB.

Sorry prjohnnies...     Tony Chiles is TERRIBLE...   he has been more of a hinderence to our program, please don't even get me started...

That said, Briscoe is not on him..    the kid was delivered to Lavin to close and he didn't close...   

PMG can you open up a little bit about this?    You've been telling us for awhile that Chiles is a problem, I'd like to hear why you think that.

2015 finalists for:  #4 RSCI Chieck Diallo #42 RSCI Brandon Sampson and Deshawn Freeman -likely D-1 JUCO AA

Orlando Sanchez is also with the Knicks for training camp/D-League.

pmg911

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »

I am going to go with a very polite no comment on this post.

If you think Chiles is a good coach and recruiter..    so be it...

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »

I am going to go with a very polite no comment on this post.

If you think Chiles is a good coach and recruiter..    so be it...

Coaching had nothing to do with your original statement.  You wrote:  "He is the lead recruiter - where are the recruits..?"  I provided you with a long list of recruits--most of them highly coveted and highly ranked.  Chiles has helped deliver recruits and and several other elite prospects to the door as finalists.  Coaching is a completely different story and you wouldn't get much of an argument from me on that.