LIU Game Discussion

• 134 replies

desco80

Re: LIU Game Discussion
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Everyone harps on our overall size right now, but when you add two 7-foot physical brothers into the rotation the complexion of this team changes dramatically. Lavs mentioned it post game, conceivably Obekpa can play SF at times with the Delarosa's controlling the paint. Add Dom's versatility alongside CJ brute, a developing SF/PF in Amar, and above average sized guards in Sheed, Dee, and Phil, and we won't be small one bit come BE play. I just hope we had this size for Cuse's zone in 3 weeks. Free Adonis!

Obekpa play SF?

Joey Delarosa control the paint?

paultzman

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
Everyone harps on our overall size right now, but when you add two 7-foot physical brothers into the rotation the complexion of this team changes dramatically. Lavs mentioned it post game, conceivably Obekpa can play SF at times with the Delarosa's controlling the paint. Add Dom's versatility alongside CJ brute, a developing SF/PF in Amar, and above average sized guards in Sheed, Dee, and Phil, and we won't be small one bit come BE play. I just hope we had this size for Cuse's zone in 3 weeks. Free Adonis!

Obekpa play SF?

Obekpa play SF?

He picks out the colors for his dorm room perhaps.

QuanMan

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »
Of course this won't be a regular occurrence. I really hope that Adonis is back by Cuse. #FreeAdonis

A Daly Dose Of Hoops @DalyDoseOfHoops    ·  11h 11 hours ago   

Steve Lavin: "We can go with a group and play three 7-footers and put Obekpa in the middle. With our personnel, playing small makes sense."

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
Of course this won't be a regular occurrence. I really hope that Adonis is back by Cuse. #FreeAdonis

I was hoping that they would bring out the stationary bike for Adonis to use while we played.

desco80

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »

I was hoping that they would bring out the stationary bike for Adonis to use while we played.

It's tucked in the corner.  I saw him riding on it before he came into the NJIT game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
Dom is an excellent athlete who is a very good defender with below average discipline. There are things Dom can do many others can't. Calling him a poor defender is ludicrous.

There are aspects of team defense that Dom struggles in and you can't down play how big a factor having below average discipline impacts the team defense. Due to his length and athleticism, he's a great disruptor when played on top of the key. However, he struggles to keep his man in front of him which breaks down the integrity of any defense. He struggles in his spacing, not being in position to help on dribble drives. He struggles in his court awareness, eyes on ball and man. He struggles with his rebounding, not boxing out. He struggles on his rotations, not helping the helper or being late. He struggles in his recovery, not getting back out to his man on the perimeter. Dom can do many things others can't, but if he doesn't actually do it, does it really matter? Quantify what Dom does well that makes him a very good team defender.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:21:27 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »

Obekpa play SF?

Myles Stewart the greatest shooter Lavin has seen in the history of history?!

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
What is up with Amare?  He hurt or somefing?

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
L I U.

What happened in the Wofford game?  I missed the final score.  Did Iona and our future coach win?

For our game...the good was the outstanding play of Pointer.  He has to learn to be more consistant...which is a stretch since he's a senior.

The bad...eeking out a win (although a win is a win) against a brand new team of mainly freshmen.  I realize this is the game of the year for LIU...so that must have had something to do with it.

The ugly is the 2-11 three point shooting.  That's under twenty percent for a team that has dreams of beating the big boys.

TONYD3

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Looked like he was going in. lavin spent 30 seconds talking to him as game was going on. He just never got in.

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Looked like he was going in. lavin spent 30 seconds talking to him as game was going on. He just never got in.
Just getting Bosnian restaurant recommendations.

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
[

What happened in the Wofford game?  I missed the final score.  Did Iona and our future coach win?

No.  They were winning at the half, but Wofford blew them out in the second half.

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
Dom is an excellent athlete who is a very good defender with below average discipline. There are things Dom can do many others can't. Calling him a poor defender is ludicrous.

There are aspects of team defense that Dom struggles in and you can't down play how big a factor having below average discipline impacts the team defense. Due to his length and athleticism, he's a great disruptor when played on top of the key. However, he struggles to keep his man in front of him which breaks down the integrity of any defense. He struggles in his spacing, not being in position to help on dribble drives. He struggles in his court awareness, eyes on ball and man. He struggles with his rebounding, not boxing out. He struggles on his rotations, not helping the helper or being late. He struggles in his recovery, not getting back out to his man on the perimeter. Dom can do many things others can't, but if he doesn't actually do it, does it really matter? Quantify what Dom does well that makes him a very good team defender.

What a post, kudos.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2014, 02:37:13 PM »
Quantify what Dom does well that makes him a very good team defender.

6 blocks and 2 steals and highlight reel slam dunks.

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

That wasnt me who said that, but agree none the less.

Last night dom did some great things. Would never take it away from him and hope it continues. However, those things he did were either off of good help defense or in recovering after getting beat. He is an overrated on ball defender who, because of his elite athletic ability, is able to do good things away from the ball.

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »

This is getting ridiculous. Your above post is basically saying Dom struggles in every aspect of playing team defense, which simply isn't true. Dom probably leads the team in steals and blocks outside of Obekpa since he's been at SJU and that has to count for something. I think you are severely exaggerating his lapses in terms of team defense. Does he lack discipline? yes. He often gambles or will get beat off the dribble. But, he's a very good defender. He many times makes up for getting beat by blocking the shot. I'll even give you he's overrated if that makes you feel better. But if you're saying Dom Pointer is a bad defender, you are basicially saying he's not worthy of even being on a BE roster because he sure as hell isn't getting playing time for his brilliant offensive skills.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:59:00 PM by redstorm212 »

boo3

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2014, 03:09:35 PM »
 I don't think anyone said he was a bad defender.

SJUFAN

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »

I can post many stat lines which would not necessarily be indicative of a players offensive/defensive powerlessness. I did not see the game, however, for each good play Dom records there may be even more defensive lapses which does not show up in the stat line, you have to have an eye for it. He road the pine last year for a reason, and it wasn't just because of his offensive ineptitude.   

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »

This is getting ridiculous. Your above post is basically saying Dom struggles in every aspect of playing team defense, which simply isn't true. Dom probably leads the team in steals and blocks outside of Obekpa since he's been at SJU and that has to count for something. I think you are severely exaggerating his lapses in terms of team defense. Does he lack discipline? yes. He often gambles or will get beat off the dribble. But, he's a very good defender. He many times makes up for getting beat by blocking the shot. I'll even give you he's overrated if that makes you feel better. But if you're saying Dom Pointer is a bad defender, you are basicially saying he's not worthy of even being on a BE roster because he sure as hell isn't getting playing time for his brilliant offensive skills.

Nearly every poster on this board has said in the past that Obekpa is an excellent shot blocker but not a good defender. He has improved. So the same can be said for Dom Pointer. Giving him credit for being a good defender because he gets steals and blocks is similar to the argument people make for Phil Greene being a good ball handler simply because he doesn't turn the ball over.  Phil doesn't turn the ball over because he rarely tries to make plays for his teammates. Dom gets steals and blocks because he gambles on defense.

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »
I don't think anyone said he was a bad defender.

I think Dom Pointer is a bad on ball defender, and it is highlighted more so because of the praise he gets for being a stud one.