Minnesota Game

• 182 replies

Poison

Re: Minnesota Game
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
“We have to approach it as a winner-takes-all, like a tournament game,” Greene said.

Is it me, or does this kind of nod to the belief that many of us have that this team just coasts whenever it feels it can? Why would you say that you have to treat this game like it's more important than other games? Why aren't they ALL important?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:06:56 AM by Poison »

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
I wonder if Lav would consider Obekpa off the bench?

You worried about foul trouble, Dave?

Very. I think they will attack early.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 01:04:57 AM »

They'll attack whenever CO is in, he's the only proven big man we have. Makes sence, no? Foul him out an maybe then have their way inside.
If possible, Lavin should wait until the under 12 minute timeout then put him in, and that's every game that they are in the lead or tied at the under 16min to.
We'll need Amar, Jones and Adonis to just rebound the damn ball. What skills is their to rebounding?
If you're a big boy, rebounding is all about attitude and fight. Fight for that damn ball.
Even Joey, put him in for 10minutes, he's a big boy.  I'm sure he can rebound alittle.

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 02:09:38 AM »

They'll attack whenever CO is in, he's the only proven big man we have. Makes sence, no? Foul him out an maybe then have their way inside.
If possible, Lavin should wait until the under 12 minute timeout then put him in, and that's every game that they are in the lead or tied at the under 16min to.
We'll need Amar, Jones and Adonis to just rebound the damn ball. What skills is their to rebounding?
If you're a big boy, rebounding is all about attitude and fight. Fight for that damn ball.
Even Joey, put him in for 10minutes, he's a big boy.  I'm sure he can rebound alittle.

Minnesota doesn't really run big either. Intensity runs high for first few min of the game. I'd spread them with super small lineup and see what I can do for first 4 min with front court of Pointer + Jones and play a trapping 3/4 zone.

Dictate the tempo and then switch it up with Obekpa in off the bench.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »
As an alternative what do we do? Turn to our stable of talented back up big men?

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

Minnesota doesn't really run big either. Intensity runs high for first few min of the game. I'd spread them with super small lineup and see what I can do for first 4 min with front court of Pointer + Jones and play a trapping 3/4 zone.

I honestly think that walk on who started vs GTown last year might be a better defender than Jones. Starting Jones might keep Obekpa out of foul trouble a little longer, but we will be losing so much with Jones on defense. I have never seen a worse defender that was on scholarship. It's as if he doesn't even know what defense is.

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »
Vegas set the line at pick-em

Foad

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 07:24:27 AM »

Rest assured that not playing his five best players has occurred to Lavin.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 07:41:10 AM »

Rest assured that not playing his five best players has occurred to Lavin.

It's "montissore", or whatever.

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »

I honestly think that walk on who started vs GTown last year might be a better defender than Jones. Starting Jones might keep Obekpa out of foul trouble a little longer, but we will be losing so much with Jones on defense. I have never seen a worse defender that was on scholarship. It's as if he doesn't even know what defense is.

He is not a good on ball defender but I am not sure why he is asked to switch and defend guards 23 feet from the basket. Of course hell get beat. Jones is however often quick to slide over and help after one of our guards lets their man by.  Hes also the only player on the team who has attempted to take a charge this season.

And Dave I like your idea but I am worrisome about starting off too slow. But perhaps not starting Obekpa could actually aid in that.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »
  Hes also the only player on the team who has attempted to take a charge this season.

Addition by Floptraction

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »

Joey?

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »

Adonis not playing awaiting eligibility clearance & Joey not eligible until January.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »
“We have to approach it as a winner-takes-all, like a tournament game,” Greene said.

So they're gonna approach it like the Big East Tourny and NIT last year?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »

I laughed.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »

LOL. Good one.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »

He is not a good on ball defender but I am not sure why he is asked to switch and defend guards 23 feet from the basket. Of course hell get beat. Jones is however often quick to slide over and help after one of our guards lets their man by.  Hes also the only player on the team who has attempted to take a charge this season.

And Dave I like your idea but I am worrisome about starting off too slow. But perhaps not starting Obekpa could actually aid in that.

Good points. I have not seen every game this season, but I was hoping to see a fire in him that built up over a year of watching. Where's his drive? He's like all the other kids on Twitter whining about his girlfriend. Kid needs to box out, and fight for rebounds. He's ripped up, but he doesn't play with fire. He needs to wake up.

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
SJU getting +1.5 right now. Sheesh.

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
Good Luck tonight, I'm expecting this to be a close battle throughout. We'll be down to essentially 4 guards to play 3 spots with Mcneil's arrest. You guys usually pack MSG for these types of things?