National Prep Showcase

• 44 replies
Re: National Prep Showcase
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Won't blame the coach for 2 players leaving early for D- league. Makes no sense to me . Would rather have a 3 star Paris horne then a 4 star Sampson . Also our league is filled with 3 star recuits . Can't wait for Wednesday. If we lose I will hate Lavin as much as anyone. Staff had a long time to prepare. Team better be ready to play.
Don't worry, Lavin will have them ready to play St John's basketball or should I say Lavin basketball which will result in a loss. Welcome to the Lavin Haters Club although I hate the phrase hating Lavin because I don't think anyone hates Lavs personally we just don't think he is a good hoop coach and no longer want him coaching the team we would like to be able to love again.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:41:49 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
No one was there. The event was not well attended by college coaches as a whole.

Lots of teams played this weekend.  Many in exotic locations.
Well one team I know didnt.

You are overrating the importance of this significantly.

Am I?  The event was an hour from SJU.  Featuring the best prep schools in the nation, no?  Not saying they should have been in Oklahoma or Kansas at some obscure tournament.  If only we were losing 6 maybe more guys.  Oh wait.................

It really doesnt matter because it par for the course.

Event attendance does not impact recruiting.

I think that is a bit naive

Yea what do I know? It's not like I'm at all these events or know all the coaches and players.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
No one was there. The event was not well attended by college coaches as a whole.

Am I?  The event was an hour from SJU.  Featuring the best prep schools in the nation, no?  Not saying they should have been in Oklahoma or Kansas at some obscure tournament.  If only we were losing 6 maybe more guys.  Oh wait.................

Yea what do I know? It's not like I'm at all these events or know all the coaches and players.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:15:57 PM by mkras99 »

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
I don't want to know what Marilac googled.

NYCoffey

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Apparently it was loving kangaroo nurturing her Joey. What else would it be?

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 05:46:55 PM »
Does anyone know who attended this event from our staff.?

I spoke with 2 assistants this weekend, who were there, and they both told me they didn't see a any St. John's representation at the event.

If this is true, it's awful and even worse, its just being lazy.

I'm sure Steve Lavin wasn't there because he was game planning tirelessly in Taffner and watching tons of tape.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »

If your telling me that it is meaningless to the kids when coaches show up to watch them then im not sure what you know.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »
I don't want to know what Marilac googled.

"Marco Baldi high school"

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 09:58:01 PM »

If your telling me that it is meaningless to the kids when coaches show up to watch them then im not sure what you know.

It factors very little. You can't really see coaches scattered in bleachers nor would they even know they are there watching them if they're not currently recruiting them.

Mike

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »

It factors very little. You can't really see coaches scattered in bleachers nor would they even know they are there watching them if they're not currently recruiting them.

Good response Dave, I'll take your word over someone who doesn't attend these events.

SJUFAN

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »

Good response Dave, I'll take your word over someone who doesn't attend these events.

The kids may not see them, but they know they are there, and it means something to a lot of them. Maybe not as much to the ones who have their choice of schools to attend but the ones who are your 3 star prospects it means plenty when they get wind from their coach if a big time program will be in attendance. 

Mike

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »

The kids may not see them, but they know they are there, and it means something to a lot of them. Maybe not as much to the ones who have their choice of schools to attend but the ones who are your 3 star prospects it means plenty when they get wind from their coach if a big time program will be in attendance. 

No problem. We can agree to disagree

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »

Unless you're Coach K, Cal, Pitino, Boeheim, Brown, Williams, or Self chances are 75% of players don't know who coaches are. Also this isn't as big of a deal as it was 10-20 years ago. I agree with you it means more to fringe D1 to mid major guys but still has little significance.

The only head coach at NPS was Tony Bennett (UVA) and took me 3 games to even notice him half way up the bleachers. Only power conference schools in attendance (that I noticed) were Iowa St., Rutgers, Cincy, and UVA. This is over 3 day period.

desco80

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
Apparently the whole Oregon staff flew in for the event.   

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
Apparently the whole Oregon staff flew in for the event.   

In separate private jets courtesy of Nike. We have a VW bus I believe. :)

hnk

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
They were playing at Barclay's this week.

pmg911

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »

Unless you're Coach K, Cal, Pitino, Boeheim, Brown, Williams, or Self chances are 75% of players don't know who coaches are. Also this isn't as big of a deal as it was 10-20 years ago. I agree with you it means more to fringe D1 to mid major guys but still has little significance.

The only head coach at NPS was Tony Bennett (UVA) and took me 3 games to even notice him half way up the bleachers. Only power conference schools in attendance (that I noticed) were Iowa St., Rutgers, Cincy, and UVA. This is over 3 day period.

Our opponent tomorrow night had a coach at the event.

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »

Our opponent tomorrow night had a coach at the event.

That was obvious from your original post. McHale get you good seats for tomorrow? :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:09:05 PM by paultzman »