Chicken/Egg -- Recruits/Extension

• 124 replies
Chicken/Egg -- Recruits/Extension
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Has been a hot topic. Would an extension help solidify recruits for Lavin? Or does he need recruits to justify an extension?

**Please keep this on topic and be respectful to opposing opinions.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Mike

Re: Chicken/Egg -- Recruits/Extension
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »
I honestly think an extension is needed to be able recruits. Who wants their kid going to a place where the head coach has no clue if they will be here next year. Just my opinion.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
I've stated my opinion numerous times on other threads.  You cannot have a lame duck coach and expect recruits to commit to him.  At this point, I think it has already hurt us and will continue to do so if not addressed.  If the school cannot afford him, then let him know and hire a mid-major coach.

hnk

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
One think we know for sure is it wouldn't hurt recruiting.  I also believe it would certainly help. 

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »
There's maybe 10 schools in the country where a recruit can legitimately have more than 75% certainty the coach that is recruiting them will still be there when the kid graduates, should he stay all 4 years. And rumors about NBA and stuff like that come up every other season with these coaches too. So no, coaches don't need extensions to get recruits because no matter what happens another coach will have some sort of play when it comes to saying the other coaches won't be there throughout the kid's tenure.

If Lavin were to get an extension and the team plays well this year, some rumor will pop up about him being interested in some other job or some nonsense like that and recruits will have doubts again.

Coaches with years remaining on their contracts leave all the time. The length of the contract has little to no impact on how long a coach will be at a school and whether a kid will commit to that coach or not. You don't think coaches with one year left on their contract use the "if I get a commitment from you, I'll get the extension" pitch?

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »
If a coach used that pitch on my kid, he would go elsewhere.

gman

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:36:31 PM »
If he gets an extension it needs to be with really low buyout terms.

goredmen

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
Unless your kid was headed to Duke/UK/Kansas/UNC etc. you couldn't be more than 75% sure any coach would still be at that particular school for all 4 of the kid's years no matter what his contract was

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 09:42:31 PM »
Unless your kid was headed to Duke/UK/Kansas/UNC etc. you couldn't be more than 75% sure any coach would still be at that particular school for all 4 of the kid's years no matter what his contract was

That may be true but I'd rather my kid go to a coach with a contract, whether he may leave or not, rather than to one who is in the last year of his contract and no extension has be secured.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
Has been a hot topic. Would an extension help solidify recruits for Lavin? Or does he need recruits to justify an extension?

**Please keep this on topic and be respectful to opposing opinions.

Why didn't he recruit last year? He had all year to recruit. Instead he waits until Sampson leaves (which was probably unexpected to him.), so he gets desperate and looks for players in April, which Thomas, Adonis, and Joey are even playing as of right now.
This year he has 1 3star recruit so far.  Will we get the next in April?
So terrible job recruiting, so now we should extend his contract so hopefully he could recruit? Why?
Don't kill me now for answering Daves auestion.

Traci says that he wants team that has talent on it, so it looks like the only way he bcomes is if RJ and CO both stay.
If that happens then we yeah we possibly could have something next year and I'd accept maybe a 1-2 year extension, but I gotta have atleast some hope for year year.
To me if CO and RJ, then 90% says that Traci won't come, what would we have for next year? Maybe Stewart developing into a sharp shooter and a freshman, but nothing else?
Why would we give him an extension for that?

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »
Has been a hot topic. Would an extension help solidify recruits for Lavin? Or does he need recruits to justify an extension? **Please keep this on topic and be respectful to opposing opinions.
Why didn't he recruit last year? He had all year to recruit. Instead he waits until Sampson leaves (which was probably unexpected to him.), so he gets desperate and looks for players in April, which Thomas, Adonis, and Joey are even playing as of right now. This year he has 1 3star recruit so far. Will we get the next in April? So terrible job recruiting, so now we should extend his contract so hopefully he could recruit? Why? Don't kill me now for answering Daves auestion. Traci says that he wants team that has talent on it, so it looks like the only way he bcomes is if RJ and CO both stay. If that happens then we yeah we possibly could have something next year and I'd accept maybe a 1-2 year extension, but I gotta have atleast some hope for year year. To me if CO and RJ, then 90% says that Traci won't come, what would we have for next year? Maybe Stewart developing into a sharp shooter and a freshman, but nothing else? Why would we give him an extension for that?
You really didn't say anything of significance to the question posed. You mentioned about players thinking about NBA and one specific recruit's interests. 
This issue had some impact on recruiting last year too. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Mike

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »
There's maybe 10 schools in the country where a recruit can legitimately have more than 75% certainty the coach that is recruiting them will still be there when the kid graduates, should he stay all 4 years. And rumors about NBA and stuff like that come up every other season with these coaches too. So no, coaches don't need extensions to get recruits because no matter what happens another coach will have some sort of play when it comes to saying the other coaches won't be there throughout the kid's tenure. If Lavin were to get an extension and the team plays well this year, some rumor will pop up about him being interested in some other job or some nonsense like that and recruits will have doubts again. Coaches with years remaining on their contracts leave all the time. The length of the contract has little to no impact on how long a coach will be at a school and whether a kid will commit to that coach or not. You don't think coaches with one year left on their contract use the "if I get a commitment from you, I'll get the extension" pitch?
Who said anything about all 4 years? I'm just talking about a kid committing to us now only for the coach to be gone before he steps on campus.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
Do recruits come to play for a coach or a school?

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
99% of the time it is the coach.  If it was the school, so many kids wouldn't ask out of their commitment when there is a coaching change.  They usually make a choice based on relationship and comfort with coaching staff, style of play, and some idea how they will fit into the offense.  When a new coach comes in, all that is out the window.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
Has been a hot topic. Would an extension help solidify recruits for Lavin? Or does he need recruits to justify an extension? **Please keep this on topic and be respectful to opposing opinions.
Why didn't he recruit last year? He had all year to recruit. Instead he waits until Sampson leaves (which was probably unexpected to him.), so he gets desperate and looks for players in April, which Thomas, Adonis, and Joey are even playing as of right now. This year he has 1 3star recruit so far. Will we get the next in April? So terrible job recruiting, so now we should extend his contract so hopefully he could recruit? Why? Don't kill me now for answering Daves auestion. Traci says that he wants team that has talent on it, so it looks like the only way he bcomes is if RJ and CO both stay. If that happens then we yeah we possibly could have something next year and I'd accept maybe a 1-2 year extension, but I gotta have atleast some hope for year year. To me if CO and RJ, then 90% says that Traci won't come, what would we have for next year? Maybe Stewart developing into a sharp shooter and a freshman, but nothing else? Why would we give him an extension for that?
You really didn't say anything of significance to the question posed. You mentioned about players thinking about NBA and one specific recruit's interests.
This issue had some impact on recruiting last year too.

Yes, he needs recruits for an extension

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »
99% of the time it is the coach. If it was the school, so many kids wouldn't ask out of their commitment when there is a coaching change. They usually make a choice based on relationship and comfort with coaching staff, style of play, and some idea how they will fit into the offense. When a new coach comes in, all that is out the window.
Say for example a coach lands some nice recruits his first year, but not so much since?
The recruits don't  trust the staff and style of play?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:27:32 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
99% of the time it is the coach. If it was the school, so many kids wouldn't ask out of their commitment when there is a coaching change. They usually make a choice based on relationship and comfort with coaching staff, style of play, and some idea how they will fit into the offense. When a new coach comes in, all that is out the window.
Say for example a coach lands some nice recruits his first year, but not so much since? The recruits don't trust the staff and style of play?

Not sure.  But lack of a contract doesn't help.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
Say for example a coach lands some nice recruits his first year, but not so much since? The recruits don't trust the staff and style of play?
Not sure. But lack of a contract doesn't help.

Wins = contract
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:34:31 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
Not sure. But lack of a contract doesn't help.
Wins = contract
So the chicken came before the egg?

Mike

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
You know the answer to that question already.