Chicken/Egg -- Recruits/Extension

• 124 replies
Re: Chicken/Egg -- Recruits/Extension
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »
So many factors. 

For those who feel he deserves extension.
If you are President and Lavin comes to you 1. wanting an extension and 2. asking for more money.  What do you do?

Seems pretty simple to me.
I would ask how have you recruited last year, and so far this year?
Then I ask have you made the NCAA with the kids you recruited?

How would people who want him extended answer that question and still try to convince the president that you deserve a pay raise?

I would counter by asking the president who was the last coach to win 20 games (name and year) before I did it.

And also, who was the last coach to have a SJU team ranked in the top 25 (name and year).

For good measure I would also ask the president to name the last SJU coach and year that a top 30 recruit committed to SJU.

Then I would counter by asking yeah we got 20wins last year, but was the end result the NIT or the NCAA, and to please tell me what happened in the last game. Was the team unprepared vs. RM or did they just quit on you?

Yes we were ranked in your first year here but you took over 10 seniors. You didn't do good enough last year (I won't even include his recruit first two years, which they were still young.). True you got into the top 25 now, but we still don't know the end result.

Hey, getting top 30 recruits would be wonderful if we could see that on the court, which should be some pretty damn good basketball.
Yeah, we are seeing it now, but they're seniors in their last year.

How can you say we still don't know the end result in one post and not say the same thing in regard to recruiting?

Well so far recruiting doesn't look to good with 1  3* kid, Traci says is there is talent on the team then he'll come. So if CO and RJ leaves, he's not coming. How do you think our recruiting class will look?

I think it will be a rebuilding year. 3-4 3 star recruits. Maybe a 4 star. Then either need to get a JUCO or 2. Or a transfer.

Probably the same as anyone could expect from a new coach.

75, the only thing that irks me about Lavin is starting all over in year 6 if he's extended. I thought starting over would be the thing of the past.  I know this will be a good year, but also thinking about SJU being bad next year and the next few years.
Why couldn't he just equal every class out and maybe we'd have hope for next year.
That's all I'm saying.  I do not want to be good once every four years.

« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2014, 11:58:51 PM »
So many factors. For those who feel he deserves extension. If you are President and Lavin comes to you 1. wanting an extension and 2. asking for more money. What do you do?
Seems pretty simple to me. I would ask how have you recruited last year, and so far this year? Then I ask have you made the NCAA with the kids you recruited? How would people who want him extended answer that question and still try to convince the president that you deserve a pay raise?
I would counter by asking the president who was the last coach to win 20 games (name and year) before I did it. And also, who was the last coach to have a SJU team ranked in the top 25 (name and year). For good measure I would also ask the president to name the last SJU coach and year that a top 30 recruit committed to SJU.
Then I would counter by asking yeah we got 20wins last year, but was the end result the NIT or the NCAA, and to please tell me what happened in the last game. Was the team unprepared vs. RM or did they just quit on you? Yes we were ranked in your first year here but you took over 10 seniors. You didn't do good enough last year (I won't even include his recruit first two years, which they were still young.). True you got into the top 25 now, but we still don't know the end result. Hey, getting top 30 recruits would be wonderful if we could see that on the court, which should be some pretty damn good basketball. Yeah, we are seeing it now, but they're seniors in their last year.
How can you say we still don't know the end result in one post and not say the same thing in regard to recruiting?
Well so far recruiting doesn't look to good with 1 3* kid, Traci says is there is talent on the team then he'll come. So if CO and RJ leaves, he's not coming. How do you think our recruiting class will look?
I think it will be a rebuilding year. 3-4 3 star recruits. Maybe a 4 star. Then either need to get a JUCO or 2. Or a transfer.
Probably the same as anyone could expect from a new coach. 75, the only thing that irks me about Lavin is starting all over in year 6 if he's extended. I thought starting over would be the thing of the past. I know this will be a good year, but also thinking about SJU being bad next year and the next few years. Why couldn't he just equal every class out and maybe we'd have hope for next year. That's all I'm saying. I do not want to be good once every four years.
yes a successful st johns season can't come as often as a leap year

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »
I will say that some recruiters probably pulled the excuse that Lavin wasn't healthy when he wasn't and that didn't help with his recruiting efforts. However, he needs to land at least a PG and PF/C for next year's class, regardless if Jordan and O'Bekpa stay. Therefore, I might offer him an extension to help with recruiting, with a low buy out. If he doesn't budge, then we can throw in that the buy out gets upped a certain amount if he makes the tourney this year.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:11:29 PM by Johnny4Life »

Dan

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
Knowing St. John's they would bungle any new hire anyway, let's see how Lavin does this year, decent start so far.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:58 AM »
Knowing St. John's they would bungle any new hire anyway, let's see how Lavin does this year, decent start so far.

This new President is messing around, he was picked to set the ship right. SJU as a whole is waiting for him to start making some serious moves...Giving a mil+ to you b ball coach is a pretty serious move especially when your trying to restructure. It will be interesting to see what happens next...Unlike other moves this defiantly has a shorter time limit because of recruitment.
Cougar O' Malley