Can this become a top 15-20 program again?

• 31 replies
Re: Can this become a top 15-20 program again?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »
[quote author=Marco Baldi link=topic=9258.msg219058#msg219058 date=1423250553]
I said this long ago. Big East is slowly turning into an upper mid major type conference.  Recruit smart players who can shoot and have some sort of IQ, build from there
[/quote]I want them to play like the '73 Knicks

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »

This season is over, obviously.

Far from over

Even after Senator Blutarsky's rousing speech and the subsequent heroic acts by the Deltas, they were still expelled from school.
It is over
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:20:05 PM by we are sju »

LoganK

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
Big East is slowly turning into an upper mid major type conference.

Based on what?  Being the second best conference in the country this year?  Having one of the best recruiting classes in the country?  I'm not following.  Maybe you're buying too much into what ESPN is hyping?  Or is there only one power conference allowed per year?  I don't mean to come at you personally for your statement, as this is what ESPN would have you believe, but the BE has shown nothing to indicate they are no longer a power conference.  #2 conference in RPI and Kenpom is a major conference.  Anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong (and/or biased).

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
Big East is slowly turning into an upper mid major type conference.

Based on what?  Being the second best conference in the country this year?  Having one of the best recruiting classes in the country?  I'm not following.  Maybe you're buying too much into what ESPN is hyping?  Or is there only one power conference allowed per year?  I don't mean to come at you personally for your statement, as this is what ESPN would have you believe, but the BE has shown nothing to indicate they are no longer a power conference.  #2 conference in RPI and Kenpom is a major conference.  Anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong (and/or biased).

How did the big east do last year in the tournament?

LoganK

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
Pretending that a single elimination tournament is a viable way to judge a team/conference's body of work for a year is a bit silly, but, understandable:  Nova lost to the eventual champion in 7 seeded UCONN, Xavier and Providence lost when they were supposed to as 11/12 seeds, Creighton as a 3 fell to 6 seeded Baylor.  Underperformance?  Yes.  But certainly not as horrible as some people made it seem.  So yes, in a down year, the BE slightly underperformed last year come tourney time.  I would hope this year would be different.
Are you suggesting that your comment on the failing strength of the BE is clearly depicted in selecting one year's NCAA tourney performance?  Quite a small sample size.  Why use last year?  Let's use this year instead...which means the BE is the second best conference in the country.

LoganK

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
For example, would you say Wichita State had a disappointing season because they lost in the 2nd round?  Even though they lost to a clearly under seeded and more talented Kentucky team?  I wouldn't.  They had a fantastic season.
But, we digress from the initial question.  Can we become a top 15-20 program?  Well, since the conference we are in will give us the necessary competition and exposure, it's up to the university to decide if it's possible.  All it takes is the right coach (and some luck). I think it's possible, but my jaded outlook on college basketball leads me to say no, it won't happen.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »
Which teams in the top 25 do you think mid majors want to be matched up with in the first round?

LoganK

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
You think anyone wants to see Butler or Nova?  Or G'town for that matter?  I certainly don't.  Nova is one of four teams in the country with a top 20 offense and defense.  Butler's defense can beat any team on a given night.  Georgetown is solid on both sides of the ball and their only non-conf losses were to Kansas and Wisconsin (and Butler if that counts).  I don't think anyone wants to face BE teams this year.

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
You think anyone wants to see Butler or Nova?  Or G'town for that matter?  I certainly don't.  Nova is one of four teams in the country with a top 20 offense and defense.  Butler's defense can beat any team on a given night.  Georgetown is solid on both sides of the ball and their only non-conf losses were to Kansas and Wisconsin (and Butler if that counts).  I don't think anyone wants to face BE teams this year.

I would take any of those matchups.

LoganK

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
So who scares you more than Nova?  As a team, the only teams I'd be more afraid of are Kentucky, Virginia, and Wisconsin.  Arizona if they get more consistency on O, Duke if they decide to play D.  Might also throw Kansas in there because...well...they're Kansas.

I feel like we should start a new thread for this, we've gone way off on a tangent here.  All that's really relevant is whether or not the BE is good enough to host a top 15-20 team, which I think is an obvious yes.

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »

I f Iona makes the tourney and gets any of those matchups it's blow out city for the Big East team. Get real.

I would take any of those matchups.

gman

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 12:26:02 PM »
If teams like Nova and Xavier can do it, so can we. It all comes down to the coach.