Vacarro on Lavin: Mostly Fair and balanced and accurate

• 71 replies
Re: Vacarro on Lavin: Mostly Fair and balanced and accurate
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
Lets say hypothetically the school hires Rick Pitino for 5 million a year for 5 years, and pays his staff another 1 million a year.  6 million total per year

Lets say current staff gets 3 million a year

Do you not think Pitino would more than make the 3 million dollar difference a year in overall revenue to the school?

Say attendance improves by a 1/3 and more merchandise is bought etc. How about the extra tourney money to the conference?

Just wondering

Maybe but 3 million is a lot of money to just break even.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
Lets say hypothetically the school hires Rick Pitino for 5 million a year for 5 years, and pays his staff another 1 million a year.  6 million total per year

Do you not think Pitino would more than make the 3 million dollar difference a year in overall revenue to the school?

Say attendance improves by a 1/3 and more merchandise is bought etc. How about the extra tourney money to the conference?

Just wondering

Of course, he would make up the difference in salary.  Let's get Pitino.

On the opposite end.  If we get a mid-major coach or a top assistant at 800k and pay his assistants another 300k, would the savings be worth it?  Can't really know.

That's why, if Lavin is fired, I'd rather go for a big name coach.  It is more of a sure thing than going in the opposite direction.  Also, is the UA deal, and whatever financial benefit it provides, partly based on Lavin's visibility and exposure?  I don't know.  Just asking.  Obviously, they would still sign us.  They also signed Seton Hall.  But would the numbers be the same?  All things that I can't answer.

jr49

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
As things stand now can we compete with X-men and Marq? We haven't on any level, but can we? I don't think Fox came up with big money to have the NY team be less then good. Before Lavin is resigned is he asked how next years class shapes up.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
Would probably take 5 plus mil to get Pitinos interest. 
And so much of the athletic departments income is set in stone contractually.  We don't make more from fox or under armour if the team is great.
So all of that additional revenue would need to come from things like ticket sales and increased enrollment. 
I don't know that Pitino (or donovan) would bring in enough to offset their cost.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »
Supposedly Donovan was contacted when Norm was let go and he wasn't interested. I doubt Pitino would be interested either.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
UNC and Kentucky.... really fair parallels

Not sure when Villanova was cold blooded. Lappas resigned and Nova kept it in the Massimino family tree with Wright.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »

Just wondering

It's been kicked around. No doubt he'd have it rolling. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »

Just wondering

Dave, the new President seems to be holding his cards close to his chest, has there been anything heard about his overall vision for Basketball and the rest of the AD. Was Vaccaro just saying this should happen?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »

Just wondering

Dave, the new President seems to be holding his cards close to his chest, has there been anything heard about his overall vision for Basketball and the rest of the AD. Was Vaccaro just saying this should happen?

Not sure. Haven't met new president nor have I had much communication with St. John's this past year. Been very busy with work.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »

Just wondering

That Damn work stuff gets in the way....add a spouse and a few kids it becomes crap show....you have to say crap because kids repeat everything you say...

Thanks, at least SJU will still be interesting after the tournament.

Not sure. Haven't met new president nor have I had much communication with St. John's this past year. Been very busy with work.
Cougar O' Malley

sju89tr

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
We need to be more like Villanova than Seton Hall in my opinion. The conference needs SJU to be strong. I hope the President understands that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
We need to be more like Villanova than Seton Hall in my opinion. The conference needs SJU to be strong. I hope the President understands that.

I say replace Chiles. He is the lead recruiter, and five years in we have 2 point guards, 2 shooting guards, one small forward, no power forwards and one big man. That is unbelievable. Such a crucial year and we are recruiting question marks to fill our 4 and 5 spots.  We still don't have a 4/5 signed for next year. If we don't land Diallo, who is plan B? Even if we land Diallo we still need another big and we don't appear to be involved with anyone. Chiles needs to go, time for the staff to be shaken up and put on notice.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
Guess nobody on this board or at least those who have posted so far in this thread including myself knows exactly where the money that pays the coaching staff's salary comes from.  Even my closest sources to the program aren't sure. Could be the school, well heeled alumni (ie. Mike Repole, etc.) or a combination of both. As for Vaccaro's column what he seems to be saying is if SJU is satisfied with what they have gotten over the last 5 years than by all means extend Lavin because what you have seen is what you will be getting in the future. However, if you have higher aspirations that is OK and by all means hire and spend for a new coach just be prepared to also spend on the ancillary aspects of the program. So what this boils down to with respect to us posters/fans is that the Lavin lovers are satisfied with the current regime and want Lavin extended, while the Lavin haters aspire for and are willing to gamble for more and want a regime change. That boys and girls is it in a nutshell.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
Not exactly.  Some of us who support Lavin want more than we've gotten in the past 5 years.  We just believe that Lavin can take us there.  I certainly have more faith in Lavin than most of the names that have been thrown around on thus site.

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 09:02:27 PM »
Not exactly.  Some of us who support Lavin want more than we've gotten in the past 5 years.  We just believe that Lavin can take us there.  I certainly have more faith in Lavin than most of the names that have been thrown around on thus site.
Agree, wasn't giving my opinion was giving my interpretation of Vaccaro's article which I believe I was correct on.

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Guess nobody on this board or at least those who have posted so far in this thread including myself knows exactly where the money that pays the coaching staff's salary comes from.  Even my closest sources to the program aren't sure. Could be the school, well heeled alumni (ie. Mike Repole, etc.) or a combination of both. As for Vaccaro's column what he seems to be saying is if SJU is satisfied with what they have gotten over the last 5 years than by all means extend Lavin because what you have seen is what you will be getting in the future. However, if you have higher aspirations that is OK and by all means hire and spend for a new coach just be prepared to also spend on the ancillary aspects of the program. So what this boils down to with respect to us posters/fans is that the Lavin lovers are satisfied with the current regime and want Lavin extended, while the Lavin haters aspire for and are willing to gamble for more and want a regime change. That boys and girls is it in a nutshell.

Incorrect. I want to extend Lavin, and would not be happy with a 9 seed every four years. It is your opinion that Lavin can never make a team better than that. I and several other posters disagree.

desco80

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »

Incorrect. I want to extend Lavin, and would not be happy with a 9 seed every four years. It is your opinion that Lavin can never make a team better than that. I and several other posters disagree.

212, when will he ever have more talent and experience than he's had here the last two seasons?     With the roster composition as it is, it reasonably seems it'd be another 3-4 years.

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »

Let's say hypothetically the school hires Santa Claus for 5 million a year for 5 years, and pays his staff the Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy another 1 million a year.  6 million total per year.

This is more plausible than your scenario.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »

212, when will he ever have more talent and experience than he's had here the last two seasons?     With the roster composition as it is, it reasonably seems it'd be another 3-4 years.

Well, if we get Diallo, and Jordan and Obekpa stay, add Sampson, I think an argument could be made that team would be even more talented. He's a proven recruiter. Bash his coaching all you want, but I'm not concerned with him bringing in talented players.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:16:48 PM by redstorm212 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 01:37:28 AM »

Well, if we get Diallo, and Jordan and Obekpa stay, add Sampson, I think an argument could be made that team would be even more talented. He's a proven recruiter. Bash his coaching all you want, but I'm not concerned with him bringing in talented players.

The funny thing is, as bad as the staff has been this past year on the recruiting trail, if we get Diallo, we are a sweet sixteen talent team next year. That's with the assumption that CO and Jordan return, which they should. Lavin took some chances with some recruits and it didn't pan out. How can anyone say we are starting over if we are conceivably one realistic recruit away. The cupboard isn't as bare as many make it out to be. The program is heading in the right direction of sustained success. He will be bringing in higher caliber recruits than his first class. Brisco, Sampson, Diallo are all examples of the types of talent he will be reaching for now that he has had the opportunity to recruit these kids for a number of years. He won't land them all, be he will land his fare share, and we will benefit from it.