Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

gman

Terrible ruling. The kid hasn't been coached by hicks since 4 years ago and spent 2 of those years at college he should be allowed to attend ski. What did we hire hicks thinking this kid would eventually transfer? I bet at uconn or Kentucky this wouldn't be ruled.

Zags has a story up now stating it's not done with quotes from his camp.  I hope you are right because it would be a huge matzoh ball :)

Yep - it's a steel cage match!  Lenn Robbins and Dave vs. Adam Zagoria!

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/19/st-johns-uconn-potential-landing-spots-for-jones/
adam zagoria doesnt know anything

Still think so.

Want to bet he was talking to the staff this whole time and new not to jump the gun?

Zags has a story up now stating it's not done with quotes from his camp.  I hope you are right because it would be a huge matzoh ball :)

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/19/st-johns-uconn-potential-landing-spots-for-jones/

Still think so.

Want to bet he was talking to the staff this whole time and new not to jump the gun?

I'd take that bet.
Fire Mullin.

I wonder if the staff reminded the NCAA of this rule? ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:37:16 PM by Marco Baldi »

Gumby

Quite frankly, the NCAA has to rule on this. 

I believe the original ruling was meant to impact kids in high school following their coaches or other involved personnel to certain colleges.  Now we have a rising junior who has not had any interaction on the high school level with Coack Hicks for what 3+ years.

If Coach Lavin is still interested in Momo, he will ask the NCAA for a ruling.  I would like to say the NCAA would agree with me, but we have all seen the NCAA go crazy at times.

redslope

quite a conundrum.  we are all assuming the NCAA is going to let him transfer without sitting out.  what would the ruling be if he has to sit out as Mo's 2 years would be up before he is eligible.  Is this allowable

quite a conundrum.  we are all assuming the NCAA is going to let him transfer without sitting out.  what would the ruling be if he has to sit out as Mo's 2 years would be up before he is eligible.  Is this allowable

He would be on scholarship while he sat out the year so it wouldn't be allowed.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Still think so.

I'd take that bet.

I think you should be the last person saying these things.

But name your price.  Then agree when you lose you have to not only pay the bet but apologize in person to the said blogger in front of witnesses on this board and then agree to shut your mouth at least as it concerns this issue.

Deal?

Oh and you will lose, trust me.

SJUFAN

Anyone have a link to this rule?  Seems odd to me that Jones couldn't come here b/c Hicks coached him four years ago.

11.4.2 I ndividual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Men’s Basketball. In
men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and
a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or
enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete
in any athletics department noncoaching staff position. (Adopted: 1/16/10; a contract signed before 10/29/09 may
be honored)

I don't see any issues with MoMo transfering here next year according to the rule. The rule states that the association is during the 2 year period before a prospective athlete's enrollment. The clock didn't start once Hicks became a part of our coaching staff but rather once Hicks stopped coaching MoMo in HS. This condition has clearly been met. If MoMo does not come here, it wont be because of this rule, imo.

Still think so.

I'd take that bet.

But name your price.  Then agree when you lose you have to not only pay the bet but apologize in person to the said blogger in front of witnesses on this board and then agree to shut your mouth at least as it concerns this issue.

Deal?

Just to get the bet straight, you're saying Robbins didn't get his info from the staff, correct?
If so, you're on.
Fire Mullin.

Still think so.

I'd take that bet.

Deal?

Just to get the bet straight, you're saying Robbins didn't get his info from the staff, correct?
If so, you're on.

Of coure not.  Don't make things up.  I never accused Robbins of making things up or not having contacts.  All I said was he jumped the gun.  You and others criticized Zagoria first for not getting ahead of the story like JJ and Robbins did then you stated flatly he has NO contact with the staff.  What would have looked better, reporting a commitment that never happened or reporting that something might happen but was not done and as it turned out it didn't happen?  Doesn't he get credit for being right?

DO NOT PUT WORD IN MY MOUTH and make this about me.

I have been criticized for defending Robbins.  Including being the first to get the Norm is out story.

Bottom line is Zags had direct contact with Momo's side and the SJU staff and neither of them were saying it was done.  And as it turns out he was spot on.

Were you criticizing Lenn's contacts when he stated that SJU was pursuing Jamari Traylor when in fact Zags and others had reported he was no longer even considering SJU for weeks?  It would seem Lenn should have known that, no?  BTW-I never said Lenn had no contact with the SJU staff based on this, did you?

You owe the guy and apology.  Don't make this about me.

Gumby

First off, the statement that most of us think Momo will not have to sit out a year is incorrect.  I think more than 1/2 of us believe the NCAA will not grant Momo his exception. 

I would not get too hung up on betting one way or the other, nor on which source was right or wrong.

Obviously, the earlier declaration that Momo was in our camp was not accurate.  So no body in the media probaby knows what will come next.

The Momo soap opera continues!

I believe when the dust clears, and if St. John's pursues the issue, we will be able to recruit Momo.  The NCAA rule, even with all of its wording, is way to vague, especially as it relates to someone on Momo's situation. 

However, there may be too much baggage for Coach Lavin to continue with this recruitment.  Remember, as far as the sit out exception ruling, the NCAA generally does not move quickly on any thing.

Anyone have a link to this rule?  Seems odd to me that Jones couldn't come here b/c Hicks coached him four years ago.

11.4.2 I ndividual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Men’s Basketball. In
men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and
a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or
enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete
in any athletics department noncoaching staff position. (Adopted: 1/16/10; a contract signed before 10/29/09 may
be honored)

I don't see any issues with MoMo transfering here next year according to the rule. The rule states that the association is during the 2 year period before a prospective athlete's enrollment. The clock didn't start once Hicks became a part of our coaching staff but rather once Hicks stopped coaching MoMo in HS. This condition has clearly been met. If MoMo does not come here, it wont be because of this rule, imo.

The rule is not saying the association had to be within a 2 year period.  The rule says you can not hire someone that is associated with a recruit for 2 years before or 2 years after the actual date the recruit would enroll not when the association stopped.  Anyone Hicks was associated with could not be offered a scholarship for anyone entering school this year.  Class of 2012 athletes (that will enroll in September 2012) will not have to deal with this rule with regards to Hicks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:31:34 AM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

SJUFAN

be honored)

The rule is not saying the association had to be within a 2 year period.  The rule says you can not hire someone that is associated with a recruit for 2 years before or 2 years after the actual date the recruit would enroll not when the association stopped.  Anyone Hicks was associated with could not be offered a scholarship for anyone entering school this year.  Class of 2012 athletes (that will enroll in September 2012) will not have to deal with this rule with regards to Hicks.

Thanks for the clarifacation. I understand why the rule exists, although I find it odd that it does not apply to the coaching staff.

dR3w

Thanks for the clarifacation. I understand why the rule exists, although I find it odd that it does not apply to the coaching staff.

Perhaps it relates to the serious intent of the school to hire the coach.  An assistant position, at a Division 1 school is probably a highly sort after job, and is not given out without serious qualifications.  Offering a job as head video technician, or any other "created" position, really allows schools to make up a bogus positions, just to hire a coach and perhaps get a commitment from a desired prospect. 

dR3w is correct.  Rules state only 3 assistant coaches and the limits on everyone else's ability to coach and recruit are clearly stated in the rules as well.  The assumption was that no coach would risk having 33% of their primary staff of coaches/recruiters brought down for just one kid.  But the balance of the staff can be as large as you want.

gman

Anyone worried about the fact that Dermon Player is advising him?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Anyone worried about the fact that Dermon Player is advising him?
I'm worried for Momo's career, maybe.

Anyone else get a feeling Momo to Iona?

Poison

It's not a bad idea.