Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
I agree!!! If Mo Mo can play this season it is a no brainer..

A lot of people will agree with that.  Unfortunately the decision on where he's going and whether to take him has to be made well before the NCAA will make their decision on if they grant the waiver.  Therein lies the rub.

St. John’s, UConn, Seton Hall, Hofstra and Iona are among schools that have expressed interest in Jones- as per Zagoria

Why doesnt Fordham or Manhattan take a shot at Jones?

MCNPA

I do think that MoMo would be a massive upgrade to the roster if he's eligible this season.  It would be instant magic for thismteam to have a PAC 10 starter manning the PG spot.  Wed be much more competitive early on and integrate the others faster.  We're sooo inexperienced, he'd be a big acquisition.  I'm just torn overr this whole thing but I guess we can't worry all that much if one or two guys are a little peeved by it and just let Lavin handle it.  He can replace talent almost instantly with other high level guys.

MCNPA

St. John’s, UConn, Seton Hall, Hofstra and Iona are among schools that have expressed interest in Jones- as per Zagoria

Why doesnt Fordham or Manhattan take a shot at Jones?

If Lavin wants him, he'll be at SJU.  Of that I have no doubt.

The only thing that would make MoMo a very important pickup is if Nuri wasn't on track to be here this coming year due to schoolwork issues.  I know he needs summer classes to fulfill all his coursework.  Hopefully he is doing so.
Totally agree. Nuri brings the experience while still allowing enough PT for the new recruits to gain the valuable experience they will need for 2012. I like the idea of the new kids getting maximum PT even if it costs us a game or two this season. If Nuri and MoMo are both here in 2011 they will both be getting major minutes possibly at the expense of Harrison or Greene. If Jevon is going to be eligible for 2012 we'll be in good shape.

100% true. If SJU offered he would take it.

btw It looks like Zags being cautious in his reporting on this per his sources has been the right move.

Poison

The staff did pretty good with Hardy developing him at the point. Granted he lighted it up scoring but if they can do the same thing to Lindsey than to be honest I think maybe I'd rather hold the schollie especially if Jevon is close to on track academically

Nice thought if you're building for 2-3 years down the road.  "boy, when they're juniors and seniors we can do some serious damage"....BUT...

This staff is interested in NOW.  Deep runs in the dance are the target NOW.   Nuri MAY be able to do it.  Momo ALREADY HAS.

Without Momo this teams D-1 experience at guard is Malik's 669 minutes.   Tourney experience is 9 minutes, 2 pts, no assists, no rebs.

With Momo, add 1,551 more minutes.  And 106 Tourney minutes.

Guys, this is a kid who got 20 vs BYU.  27 vs Cal.  20 against OSU.  18 vs Memphis.  17 against UCLA.  17 against USC.  16pts 6 assists vs Duke.  And that's as the THIRD scoring option in the offense.

All this assumes he gets the waiver.  It's a crapshoot with the NCAA, and Momo for 2013 and 2014 doesn't have near the same impact as  Momo for 2012 and 2013.

Experience isn't as valuable as it was. Talent wins out. Uconn just won a NC with one experienced player.
Momo is a talented player, but is he going to be able to go from the PAC 10 to the BE so easily?

The staff did pretty good with Hardy developing him at the point. Granted he lighted it up scoring but if they can do the same thing to Lindsey than to be honest I think maybe I'd rather hold the schollie especially if Jevon is close to on track academically

Nice thought if you're building for 2-3 years down the road.  "boy, when they're juniors and seniors we can do some serious damage"....BUT...

This staff is interested in NOW.  Deep runs in the dance are the target NOW.   Nuri MAY be able to do it.  Momo ALREADY HAS.

Without Momo this teams D-1 experience at guard is Malik's 669 minutes.   Tourney experience is 9 minutes, 2 pts, no assists, no rebs.

Guys, this is a kid who got 20 vs BYU.  27 vs Cal.  20 against OSU.  18 vs Memphis.  17 against UCLA.  17 against USC.  16pts 6 assists vs Duke.  And that's as the THIRD scoring option in the offense.

All this assumes he gets the waiver.  It's a crapshoot with the NCAA, and Momo for 2013 and 2014 doesn't have near the same impact as  Momo for 2012 and 2013.

Experience isn't as valuable as it was. Talent wins out. Uconn just won a NC with one experienced player.
Momo is a talented player, but is he going to be able to go from the PAC 10 to the BE so easily?

Youre right Poison, he should stay close to home-at Iona.

8)The SNY 1:00 am show reported  Jones will transfer to St. John's, hoping the NCAA will allow him to play this upcoming year. Apparently he claims he wants to be near his grandmother.

Youre right Poison, he should stay close to home-at Iona.
the pac 10 but he still helped get a team to the elite eight

This could hurt if true. Man this is getting so messy:

Arizona guard Lamont Jones is transferring back East, possibly to a Big East school, according to reports in the New York media. The New York Post reported he might try to get a hardship waiver in order to play immediately. According to one source with knowledge of the situation, Jones may not get the support he needs from Arizona in a case like that. He originally told the Wildcats staff that he was going to play in Europe before mentioning a few days later that his grandmother is ill. To get a waiver to play immediately, the previous school has to provide supporting documentation.

The Wildcats are looking at Jones' stay in Tucson as though he were a junior college player whose two years of eligibility have expired. The Wildcats have moved on, but according to a source, it doesn't appear that Arizona will endorse a transfer that would allow him to play immediately somewhere else.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6569970/news-notes-nba-pre-draft-camp
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:08:35 PM by SJUhoopNUT »

ras

Lavin is weighing his options and has a difficult decision to make. How interested is Harrow in coming to SJU? Can Jones get the waiver? How will  he effect the chemistry of this team? How will he effect future recruits?

LJSA

The Wildcats have moved on, but according to a source, it doesn't appear that Arizona will endorse a transfer that would allow him to play immediately somewhere else.

40+-year-old coaches should not get into a pissing match with a 20-year-old player, especially when incoming freshmen are more talented than the departing player. If the kid thinks he'll be happier at Iona then let him go there.

FWIW Katz's tidbit seems to be so much crap.  Jone is quoted as saying he's going to another school in the Arizona official release.  So the release writer knew what Momo was doing but not Sean?

Moose

The Wildcats have moved on, but according to a source, it doesn't appear that Arizona will endorse a transfer that would allow him to play immediately somewhere else.

40+-year-old coaches should not get into a pissing match with a 20-year-old player, especially when incoming freshmen are more talented than the departing player. If the kid thinks he'll be happier at Iona then let him go there.

But what about STJ.  Ive heard of coaches restricting players from going to schools that were on the schedule.  We are somewhat on their schedule.  Not sure its guarantee as I haven't seen the brackets but we could be playing them in the Garden.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Arizona guard Lamont Jones is transferring back East, possibly to a Big East school, according to reports in the New York media. The New York Post reported he might try to get a hardship waiver in order to play immediately. According to one source with knowledge of the situation, Jones may not get the support he needs from Arizona in a case like that. He originally told the Wildcats staff that he was going to play in Europe before mentioning a few days later that his grandmother is ill. To get a waiver to play immediately, the previous school has to provide supporting documentation.

The Wildcats are looking at Jones' stay in Tucson as though he were a junior college player whose two years of eligibility have expired. The Wildcats have moved on, but according to a source, it doesn't appear that Arizona will endorse a transfer that would allow him to play immediately somewhere else.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6569970/news-notes-nba-pre-draft-camp

That is 100% true for a waiver application to be seriously considered the outgoing team needs to be onboard.

This is why I maintain a waiver is a longshot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:13:21 PM by jumpinjohnny »

MCNPA

That is 100% true for a waiver application to be seriously considered the outgoing team needs to be onboard.

In addition, I would  guess that heading to SJU would significantly improve his chances of a waiver.  He heads to Uconn who is a few hours away from his grandmother and IMO it hurts his case.  Even more WRT the ACC.   One has to realize one thing though.  Even if MoMo doesn't get a waiver, imagine how good he could be sitting out one year, learning the system and working with the team.  The kid could be dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:23:23 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

Miller's quotes the first day he left were very complimentary.  But who the hell knows anymore.  As the MoMo turns continues.
Remember who broke the Slice news

In addition, I would  guess that heading to SJU would significantly improve his chances of a waiver.  He heads to Uconn who is a few hours away from his grandmother and IMO it hurts his case.  Even more WRT the ACC.   One has to realize one thing though.  Even if MoMo doesn't get a waiver, imagine how good he could be sitting out one year, learning the system and working with the team.  The kid could be dangerous.

Exactly! This is why I cant understand why Pecora is not all over this kid if Lavin has 2nd thoughts. Hopefully Cluess and Grasso are ready to stomp on this if SJU passes

crgreen

The only thing that would make MoMo a very important pickup is if Nuri wasn't on track to be here this coming year due to schoolwork issues.  I know he needs summer classes to fulfill all his coursework.  Hopefully he is doing so.
Totally agree. Nuri brings the experience while still allowing enough PT for the new recruits to gain the valuable experience they will need for 2012. I like the idea of the new kids getting maximum PT even if it costs us a game or two this season. If Nuri and MoMo are both here in 2011 they will both be getting major minutes possibly at the expense of Harrison or Greene. If Jevon is going to be eligible for 2012 we'll be in good shape.

????? Nuri has played one season of organized ball in thelast 3 years.  He didn't play his senior year of high school, didn't play the following year at the JC (thats why he has 3 years eligibility remaining).  He has the LEAST experience of any of our newcomers.  Over that same period Momo led Oak Hill to a 44-1 record as a High School Senior, then played 34 games as a backkup PG as a freshman, then led Arizona to a #9 ranking in D-1 and an Elite 8....