Midnight Madness

• 157 replies

redslope

Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 08:52:19 PM »
Unbelievable--people talk about mom and pop shop attitude.  The school needs to capitalize on Coach Mullin and staff.  Without money will never have a chance to be big time.  SJU does not get state tax dollars which is the equivalent to printing money. 

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
Agreed.  I understand the view of those annoyed at the principle, but to me $20/$35 is no issue at all.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »
Ugh so pissed. Was planning my Friday night around this with some friends. We already pay for season tickets, can't believe they'd charge for an all time free event.

They'll have to deal with the embarrassment when no one comes.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
Ugh so pissed. Was planning my Friday night around this with some friends. We already pay for season tickets, can't believe they'd charge for an all time free event.

They'll have to deal with the embarrassment when no one comes.

I mean it's still free for the students. But I would be shocked if anyone pays to get in.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 09:02:09 PM »
Unbelievable--people talk about mom and pop shop attitude.  The school needs to capitalize on Coach Mullin and staff.  Without money will never have a chance to be big time.  SJU does not get state tax dollars which is the equivalent to printing money. 

This event doesn't deserve an admission cost. They do a shit job. Always have. Who is performing? Jay Z? Kanye? Um, so f'n nobody. That's what's small time. If you want to charge for something you better take it seriously. St.John's doesn't have it in them. They don't know the difference.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »
Also isn't this event supposed to be to showcase the fanbase and fun of the program to recruits? Get as many people as you can in there instead of trying to monetize it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:09:48 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

redslope

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 09:17:25 PM »
Providence's event is open to students only for free like us--no alumni or other fans allowed.  Maybe that is the way to stop the whining--otherwise pay to play.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
I was never going to attend because the event has been so poorly executed when I have attended. 2 years ago they had hundreds of people waiting outside on freezing cold night after the time the event was supposed to start. It's just another terrible decision by the organizers. What family of four that doesn't have season tix is going to shell out 150 to get in the building? Is that a joke? How are you supposed to cultivate a fan base? Fwiw I have 4 red white tix and want the best for this program. It's sickening when you walk into a quarter full CA for a regular season game

Midnight madness across the country is geared towards students instead of families.  I'm not trying to defend our athletic department or single you out, but it's odd to me how angered our fans get about paying small amounts for games and events.  You can't do anything these days for less than $15-20. 

Poison

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »
I was never going to attend because the event has been so poorly executed when I have attended. 2 years ago they had hundreds of people waiting outside on freezing cold night after the time the event was supposed to start. It's just another terrible decision by the organizers. What family of four that doesn't have season tix is going to shell out 150 to get in the building? Is that a joke? How are you supposed to cultivate a fan base? Fwiw I have 4 red white tix and want the best for this program. It's sickening when you walk into a quarter full CA for a regular season game

Midnight madness across the country is geared towards students instead of families.  I'm not trying to defend our athletic department or single you out, but it's odd to me how angered our fans get about paying small amounts for games and events.  You can't do anything these days for less than $15-20. 

Let's see how many tickets the braintrust sells.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »
Whatever they sell, it'll be more than before.

This is a student event. People need to get over it. 

Poison

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »
Whatever they sell, it'll be more than before.

This is a student event. People need to get over it. 

I haven't been to Midnight Madness since they did it at midnight. I have no intention of going, nor will I ever. But I think it's a f'n nerve to charge for something that isn't even a game. They deserve to be embarrassed. They can't get fans to buy tickets to actual games.

I'm sorry, but I think you're delusional if this doesn't piss you off. The athletic department should be grateful for the fans they have got considering the horrendous job they've done with the basketball program over the last 25 years. They should be ashamed of themselves for doing this.

Simply put: They owe the fans that have stuck with them.

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
Feel free to ignore the free event they had a few weeks ago where you could've met Mullin (and eaten) or the free red white scrimmage game coming up.

Not everything is meant for the public. This is a specific event for students just like countless others throughout the year.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
Feel free to ignore the free event they had a few weeks ago where you could've met Mullin (and eaten) or the free red white scrimmage game coming up.

Not everything is meant for the public. This is a specific event for students just like countless others throughout the year.

The point of Midnight Madness is to show an excited fan base, and you think we should leave that up to the dedicated students at St.John's?

Wods317

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 11:49:02 PM »
I may be in the minority here but I really don't enjoy these tip off events anyway. It's more for the players, recruits and students to enjoy some music and meet the team. It's like a pep rally for the season. Hope the event goes well but I will save my enthusiasm for the games.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:49:40 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
Last year the event was sold out. And 90+% of those in attendance were students. You could also see the student excitement based on the student lines at 9am that stretched several hundred feet from CA.

I don't expect a sell out this year as there has been no build up given the late notice and the artist isn't a big name.  You're sadly mistaken if you think season ticket holders make a difference here.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 11:53:09 PM »
I may be in the minority here but I really don't enjoy these tip off events anyway. It's more for the players, recruits and students to enjoy some music and meet the team. It's like a pep rally for the season. Hope the event goes well but I will save my enthusiasm for the games.

Bingo

Poison

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 11:57:54 PM »

It should be for the students, but the students at St.John's are different. They have no pride. They are not the fans of this program that keep it alive. If they cared, the alumni and the local fan base wouldn't be sitting through season after season where we have conference games and there are 15 students there.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:59:19 PM by Poison »

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »

Not everything is meant for the public even though this event has been for the public for as long as I can remember?

It's a money grab.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »

Not everything is meant for the public even though this event has been for the public for as long as I can remember?

It's a money grab.

The point is to get as much attention as you possibly can. St.John's excluding people is hysterical when NYC doesn't even know who the F they are.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »
Last year the event was sold out. And 90+% of those in attendance were students. You could also see the student excitement based on the student lines at 9am that stretched several hundred feet from CA.

I don't expect a sell out this year as there has been no build up given the late notice and the artist isn't a big name.  You're sadly mistaken if you think season ticket holders make a difference here.

I don't expect a sellout either. We agree.