Midnight Madness

• 157 replies
Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
Didn't someone say it was the musical act that insisted the school charge for the event. They had someone else lined up but it feel through so to get any big name they probably just had to bit the bullet on this one. The musical act is a huge draw for the event. I remember a few years ago they had Vado who isn't very well known and the place was not very excited and not even half full. You may not know or like Mac Miller but he is popular with younger kids and is a good get.

It's not the musical act who insisted the school charge for this. It's that the musical act refused to perform for free. I don't think that anyone would dispute that the STJ students would like Mac Miller. The problem is that they don't like St.John's basketball.   

Why would a muscial act perform for free? I have worked at St. John's before and I can tell you even the bad artists they got 3-5 years ago did not perform for anything close to free.

I guess SJU likes wasting money on bad performers then, oh well. Their choice.

Just curious who would you have like them to get that is a relevant performer who the students will come to see?

I'll admit that I don't know any of these new school cats.
Even though old old school, I'm sure they'd come out to see WuTang or Nas.  Not that would be worth $35, gotta come proper or not at all.

These kids heard of them, and the house would be jumping.

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
Any word on which recruits are going? Thanks.

Wods317

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Didn't someone say it was the musical act that insisted the school charge for the event. They had someone else lined up but it feel through so to get any big name they probably just had to bit the bullet on this one. The musical act is a huge draw for the event. I remember a few years ago they had Vado who isn't very well known and the place was not very excited and not even half full. You may not know or like Mac Miller but he is popular with younger kids and is a good get.

It's not the musical act who insisted the school charge for this. It's that the musical act refused to perform for free. I don't think that anyone would dispute that the STJ students would like Mac Miller. The problem is that they don't like St.John's basketball.   

Why would a muscial act perform for free? I have worked at St. John's before and I can tell you even the bad artists they got 3-5 years ago did not perform for anything close to free.

Just curious who would you have like them to get that is a relevant performer who the students will come to see?

Even though old old school, I'm sure they'd come out to see WuTang or Nas.  Not that would be worth $35, gotta come proper or not at all.

Agree to disagree. On to better things, could argue this all night but its an opinion and your entitled to it. Enjoy the season mullin.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
Need to keep things in perspective

-There has been a tremendous change over in personnel from the players to the AD. Things look like they were thrown together because they probably were and this left little time to properly resource this event.

-For the first time in 30 years there is an SJU President that cares about the program and is heavily investing in the program by his hiring actions

-Not saying The event is not important, but it will not make or break a season or turn away recruits in large numbers...If the team wins consistently people will show up. The LBS game at CA last year in Dec before Christmas was packed and there was a buzz in the stands...SJU was ranked at the time. The fans were great at the last home game at MSG. Winning will cover up most worts in a program. Midnight madness is a cherry on top of a program not the sundae.

This could of, should of, been handle better, but to let one school sponsored party throw a wet blanket on the start of a season seems silly. Maybe this will encourage more students to show up, maybe it won't . In either case I am confident that SJU will make proper adjustments in the future. I am confident that we have an administration that actually cares about the program and will continue to invest in it. I am also confident that this administration will make mistakes and will leave us scratching are heads, but they will make these mistakes because they are trying to make the school better.

This isn't the same old same old, there is a new administration and  they have already done more then the previous regime...Let's show a little patience and faith.  You don't have to agree with ever decision, just don't condemn the  school for a possible mistake.

You said the new administration has already more than the previous "regime". Just asking, but how so?

Last year, I attended an open practice at MSG. That was best St.John's related event that I have ever been to, and it's not close. This year, they're having a Red/White type game at Carnesecca Arena at 12:30 on Halloween. That's a big step down IMO.

-This administration has made basketball a priority again.
-The fact that Dr. G did not take the safe route and got rid of Lavin, when that would have been the safe choice to extend him.
-Coach Mullin didn't come here for free, especially when he had to move his family from the Bay Area. The staff is top notch, which is also a pretty penny.
-As the rest of the school is curtting their budget it seems like basketball got whatever they wanted. I'm ok with that because the pay back will be ten fold once they really getting going.
-This year's midnight madness just seems like a big asterisks compared to all the things this administration has down.

-Did the previous regime stop doing midnight madness for awhile?
The last administration just changed the names of the team without looking for a compromise...I think the name change caused more damage then this midnight madness.
-In general the previous regime let this program rot and would be perfectly O.K. With the results that Lavin was doing because they were above 500 and they would occasionally make a tournament. Dr. G bet the house in his first fully year to get this program going again.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
Need to keep things in perspective

-There has been a tremendous change over in personnel from the players to the AD. Things look like they were thrown together because they probably were and this left little time to properly resource this event.

-For the first time in 30 years there is an SJU President that cares about the program and is heavily investing in the program by his hiring actions

-Not saying The event is not important, but it will not make or break a season or turn away recruits in large numbers...If the team wins consistently people will show up. The LBS game at CA last year in Dec before Christmas was packed and there was a buzz in the stands...SJU was ranked at the time. The fans were great at the last home game at MSG. Winning will cover up most worts in a program. Midnight madness is a cherry on top of a program not the sundae.

This could of, should of, been handle better, but to let one school sponsored party throw a wet blanket on the start of a season seems silly. Maybe this will encourage more students to show up, maybe it won't . In either case I am confident that SJU will make proper adjustments in the future. I am confident that we have an administration that actually cares about the program and will continue to invest in it. I am also confident that this administration will make mistakes and will leave us scratching are heads, but they will make these mistakes because they are trying to make the school better.

This isn't the same old same old, there is a new administration and  they have already done more then the previous regime...Let's show a little patience and faith.  You don't have to agree with ever decision, just don't condemn the  school for a possible mistake.

You said the new administration has already more than the previous "regime". Just asking, but how so?

Last year, I attended an open practice at MSG. That was best St.John's related event that I have ever been to, and it's not close. This year, they're having a Red/White type game at Carnesecca Arena at 12:30 on Halloween. That's a big step down IMO.

-This administration has made basketball a priority again.
-The fact that Dr. G did not take the safe route and got rid of Lavin, when that would have been the safe choice to extend him.
-Coach Mullin didn't come here for free, especially when he had to move his family from the Bay Area. The staff is top notch, which is also a pretty penny.
-As the rest of the school is curtting their budget it seems like basketball got whatever they wanted. I'm ok with that because the pay back will be ten fold once they really getting going.
-This year's midnight madness just seems like a big asterisks compared to all the things this administration has down.

-Did the previous regime stop doing midnight madness for awhile?
The last administration just changed the names of the team without looking for a compromise...I think the name change caused more damage then this midnight madness.
-In general the previous regime let this program rot and would be perfectly O.K. With the results that Lavin was doing because they were above 500 and they would occasionally make a tournament. Dr. G bet the house in his first fully year to get this program going again.

I hear ya. I think with Norm they were fine with losing as long as we were on good behavior. With Lavin, I saw that support. I know Dr.G cares. From what I can tell, he seems like great for the program.

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »

The act always gets paid very well for the performance whether or not they charge at the gate.  What the issue is here is that the acts don't want to perform in front of people who aren't interested in their music.  It hurts their own brand and it insults them.  You have people just milling around the place uninterested, and leaving early.  I'll typically stay for about 10 or 15 minutes just to see what's going on, and then leave.  I don't think the rappers like that because it affects their image, and in their business, image is everything.  So I don't think this is SJU nickel and diming people, it's the act that's forcing them to charge.

This was the reason for the delay in the announcement.  However, the revival of the red-white scrimmage from the Louie era, which is now free, should make up for it.

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »

Who said they weren't getting paid?  This isn't a pass the hat gig.  Next, they'll want a dish of blue M&Ms. 

Face it, these events have been strictly for the kids for some time now.  I went to the last two.  The music was the shit that's foisted on kids these days...loud, not good.  If you want to fill the house, bring in American Authors or Nick Jonas and charge accordingly.  If you bring in shit music, make it for free.  The point is to hype the basketball teams...not some second rate, untalented, hip hop artist.
f

Wods317

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2015, 08:58:46 PM »

Who said they weren't getting paid?  This isn't a pass the hat gig.  Next, they'll want a dish of blue M&Ms. 

Face it, these events have been strictly for the kids for some time now.  I went to the last two.  The music was the shit that's foisted on kids these days...loud, not good.  If you want to fill the house, bring in American Authors or Nick Jonas and charge accordingly.  If you bring in shit music, make it for free.  The point is to hype the basketball teams...not some second rate, untalented, hip hop artist.
f
If you read the message above mine you can see who said they didn't get paid lol

paultzman

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
@AdamZagoria: 2017 wing Andre Rafus @cantstoprafus of @rosellecatholic visiting St. John's for Midnight Madness

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2015, 11:31:01 PM »

Agree to disagree. On to better things, could argue this all night but its an opinion and your entitled to it. Enjoy the season mullin.

I definitely will, with Mullin and staff the program is headed in the right direction.
You enjoy it too.

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
Excuse me if I wonder out loud.......you guys have no arguement with paying $8- $10 a draft beer downtown but balk at paying  4 beers worth to see your team confound me.   I have lived in a city where you can still buy $1.50 drafts on special but it costs $1000 to guarantee getting your $500 season seat for a team scheduled to finish 5th in the ACC this year.  You guys are New York?   That ain't the New York I grew up  and made my fortune in.  Perhaps you guys who push back can find a $25,000 a year job in Syracuse and drink $1.50 beers but pay up to $2000 a year for a decent seat at your teams games.  I have no idea who your rapper guest is but he can't measure up to the Syracuse Drum and Bugle Corps and the "Mad Fiddler" at your Midnight Madness.
found me.

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:27 PM »
Excuse me if I wonder out loud.......you guys have no arguement with paying $8- $10 a draft beer downtown but balk at paying  4 beers worth to see your team confound me.   I have lived in a city where you can still buy $1.50 drafts on special but it costs $1000 to guarantee getting your $500 season seat for a team scheduled to finish 5th in the ACC this year.  You guys are New York?   That ain't the New York I grew up  and made my fortune in.  Perhaps you guys who push back can find a $25,000 a year job in Syracuse and drink $1.50 beers but pay up to $2000 a year for a decent seat at your teams games.  I have no idea who your rapper guest is but he can't measure up to the Syracuse Drum and Bugle Corps and the "Mad Fiddler" at your Midnight Madness.
found me.

I pay $350 a year for season tickets, over a $100 in travel costs, probably over $100 in concessions and I go to every single home game. I'm the one person that is there when we have 9pm games against Xavier on Tuesday nights. I'm at the preseason games. So excuse me "oldfan" for not wanting to be nickle and dimed to go to an all time free event because some rapper said I had to pay. Should have been on to the next one, they're all the same. Where is Will Smooth at?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:57:17 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Moose

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2015, 08:38:14 AM »
found me.

Another one on his high horse.
Take your fortune and........................
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
found me.

For a guy that made a fortune, you're pretty slow. This event isn't for you. It's not for people who have plenty of money to spare to watch this team. It's for the casual fan who doesn't even consider St.John's his team, but something to check out should they happen to be competitive.

The casual fan doesn't love St.John's the way it's 23 Red White Club members do, and the way 8 students do. They are what fills MSG and Carnesecca when we win. Treating them like shit is the problem here, but they don't like St.John's enough to put up with it.

Should we tell them that we don't care, and that we don't need them? Because that would be pretty damn stupid.

Marillac

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

The act always gets paid very well for the performance whether or not they charge at the gate.  What the issue is here is that the acts don't want to perform in front of people who aren't interested in their music.  It hurts their own brand and it insults them.  You have people just milling around the place uninterested, and leaving early.  I'll typically stay for about 10 or 15 minutes just to see what's going on, and then leave.  I don't think the rappers like that because it affects their image, and in their business, image is everything.  So I don't think this is SJU nickel and diming people, it's the act that's forcing them to charge.

This was the reason for the delay in the announcement.  However, the revival of the red-white scrimmage from the Louie era, which is now free, should make up for it.

It's not SJU paying for the act, it's Student Government, Incorporated and/or one of the programming boards (Big Five), such as Haraya, that receive annual budgets from SGI at the start of each year. Acts always come with unique requests/demands in addition to pay--like certain hotels, food, etc., but no act insisted on tickets being sold.  At least that is how it was when I was treasurer (CFO).  We got a list of acts and prices for the year from a management company and had full discretion to spend whatever we wanted since we were a separate entity from the school with a million dollar overall budget. 

Midnight Madness is and will always be a student-focused event.  It's half basketball and half student programming.  As for attendance, winning will bring fans.  It's not enough win once every four years.  Once Mullin and staff put together a string of successful seasons, going to games with friends will be become a huge a part of the student experience at SJU.

Wods317

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »

It's not SJU paying for the act, it's Student Government, Incorporated and/or one of the programming boards (Big Five), such as Haraya, that receive annual budgets from SGI at the start of each year. Acts always come with unique requests/demands in addition to pay--like certain hotels, food, etc., but no act insisted on tickets being sold.  At least that is how it was when I was treasurer (CFO).  We got a list of acts and prices for the year from a management company and had full discretion to spend whatever we wanted since we were a separate entity from the school with a million dollar overall budget. 

Midnight Madness is and will always be a student-focused event.  It's half basketball and half student programming.  As for attendance, winning will bring fans.  It's not enough win once every four years.  Once Mullin and staff put together a string of successful seasons, going to games with friends will be become a huge a part of the student experience at SJU.

As I have been saying this whole time this is an event for the team and for the students, always has been. If others enjoy it then great but the purpose is to get students excited. Does it work? That's a different story.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:46:52 AM by Wods317 »

Wods317

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
Hoping we get some more recruits to come down tonight. Only heard I think two names so far but a lot of names don't come out until after the event.

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
AdamZagoria
St. John's hosting Shamorie Ponds, Andre Rafus, Luther Muhammed, Jahvon Quinerly, Louis King, Myles Cale for Midnight Madness

Moose

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »

Both the first act that couldnt come to agreement and Mac are on tour was what I was told and a free event would lessen the value of their tour which was the reason for their requests to charge.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »
Big Naz Reid also coming to MM.