Marcus Lovett hopeful to get cleared

• 473 replies

Poison

Re: Marcus Lovett hopeful to get cleared
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »
Related;

@WojYahooNBA: From @ShamsCharania: Kansas’ Cheick Diallo – potential 2016 lottery pick - hires lawyer for NCAA eligibility fight. https://t.co/GI5Np8L9tn

I wonder if anyone has ever hired someone or someones who weren't attorneys, but could be influential in motivating the NCAA to work a little harder? I'm not saying I'd advocate for it, but I would understand.

Bill Self is a politician. He publicly calls the NCAA a partner, and doesn't mention that they are disgusting POS who deserve to be made an example of. Actually he uses the word "partner".

At the end of the day, if a kid isn't eligible, and all of the work has been done, it's because the work was turned in late, so don't turn your f'n work in late, and then blame the people that review it. We know they are bastards. We know that they probably deserve to be smashed across the forehead with a baseball bat, but at St.John's we also know their rules. This is as much on LoVett and St.John's, as it is on the NCAA.

Seriously, St.John's needs to stop acting so wronged when they know who they are dealing with. Mullin didn't handle it very well IMO with the media. They are the governing body of the NCAA for as long as the Universities allow them to be. Insulting them, and putting it all on them isn't going to make them work any harder. Self was very careful in how he worded his statement.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:11:49 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Related;

@WojYahooNBA: From @ShamsCharania: Kansas’ Cheick Diallo – potential 2016 lottery pick - hires lawyer for NCAA eligibility fight. https://t.co/GI5Np8L9tn

I wonder if anyone has ever hired someone or someones who weren't attorneys, but could be influential in motivating the NCAA to work a little harder? I'm not saying I'd advocate for it, but I would understand.

Who else would you hire besides a lawyer?  Someone to interpretively dance his transcript and high school experience?  A graffiti artist?

Tha Kid

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
Related;

Who else would you hire besides a lawyer?  Someone to interpretively dance his transcript and high school experience?  A graffiti artist?

I think he means a couple of wise guys.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
Related;

I think he means a couple of wise guys.

Oh, my...

pmg911

« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »

This is as much on LoVett and St.John's, as it is on the NCAA.

Outside of SJU making the decision to offer a scholarship, why is any of this on them..?

I would think this is all on the young man.

Why did he go to 3 high schools..? Why wasn't he in the right classes to make sure he was on track to graduate..? Was he doing his work..?

I am not sticking up for the NCAA at all but the kids taking care of their business in the classroom is on them.

« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »

Outside of SJU making the decision to offer a scholarship, why is any of this on them..?

Why did he go to 3 high schools..? Why wasn't he in the right classes to make sure he was on track to graduate..? Was he doing his work..?

I am not sticking up for the NCAA at all but the kids taking care of their business in the classroom is on them.

First off, the kid is being steered is certain directions.  He was 14, 15, 16 years old. As a teenager he's a product of his environment.

Second off, this decision from the NCAA shouldn't be that difficult. Here are the requirements for Initial Eligibility at this time:

A minimum 2.0 GPA in all of the below core courses below:
4 years of English
3 years of math (Algebra I or higher)
2 years of natural/physical science
(1 year of lab if offered)
1 year of additional English, math or
natural/physical science
2 years of social science
4 years of additional courses (any
area above, foreign language or
comparative religion/philosophy

And meeting the requirements of the overall core GPA and coinciding SAT/ACT test score on the sliding scale here: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

This decision from the NCAA should be pretty cut and dry. Does he have the number of core classes required, the minimum GPA for those and does his cumulative GPA coincide with a qualifying SAT or ACT test score?

If so, he should be eligible.

If not, he shouldn't be eligible.

If there is a couple courses in question in terms of legitimacy, then fine, ask for syllabus and some test or assignment paperwork. But for this to be taking months is beyond absurd.  He either met the above requirements or he didn't. Make a decision.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

ras

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »
I agree. If a student applies to college and the student went to 4 HSs, the admissions dept makes a timely decision. They don't force a student to miss a year while they sort it out. Like previously stated. Were the HSs he went to accredited? were his courses acceptable? If so , whats the problem It shouldn't matter if he went to 6 HSs.

LoganK

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2015, 12:36:52 PM »
My understanding is that the complications arrive when students change schools, as different schools have differing curriculum and what one school may call Algebra I, another school calls Basics of Math (or something).  The NCAA then has to contact each school and find out exactly what the curriculum for each class was to ensure they were legitimate classes and that they were not duplicated.  They then have to do this for every student who has changed schools.  Not trying to excuse the lack of urgency the NCAA seems to exude, but I don't think it's as simple as "This student had a 2.6 gpa and got a 1100 on their SATs, they're in."

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
My understanding is that the complications arrive when students change schools, as different schools have differing curriculum and what one school may call Algebra I, another school calls Basics of Math (or something).  The NCAA then has to contact each school and find out exactly what the curriculum for each class was to ensure they were legitimate classes and that they were not duplicated.  They then have to do this for every student who has changed schools.  Not trying to excuse the lack of urgency the NCAA seems to exude, but I don't think it's as simple as "This student had a 2.6 gpa and got a 1100 on their SATs, they're in."

I'm curious to know how many fulltime staff they have in their NCAA Initial Eligibility center. That "organization" makes enough money that there is no excuse for such a time lag.  Hire more staff.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »

If LoVett isn't cleared, and it's because he was missing a class in a core subject, for example, the University that recruits him, should have some idea of that. St.John's needs to do their own research as well. It really seems like they haven't. This "what more can they do" attitude is how they ended up in the situations that Lavin put them in over and over again. LoVett may or may not have done enough to qualify, but it seems to be a recurring pattern at St.John's to recruit kids with eligibility concerns.

Hopefully this new staff backs up the consistent message that they've given us through the local media, and that's that they expect him to play. I am hoping that the new staff is savvy enough to not be so cavalier in making a statement like that, and that we'll find out tomorrow that LoVett stopped taking math classes after his freshman year, or something to that effect.

We've all agreed that this is one of the main reasons why St.John's parted ways with Lavin. By and large, recruits have to be eligible. It's time for eligilibity to be the exception, as opposed to the rule.

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »

I'm curious to know how many fulltime staff they have in their NCAA Initial Eligibility center. That "organization" makes enough money that there is no excuse for such a time lag.  Hire more staff.

It's about 6 people who cover all sports for all levels across the country. This is where the problem is.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2015, 01:02:27 PM »
Marcus LoVett was a question mark from the start which is why no schools were really recruiting his despite his skill level. For a first year coach who needs to make a splash in recruiting he is a recruit you roll the dice on. From my understanding he has everything he needs taken care of but the verification of this all takes time. It's a crappy imperfect system.

Poison

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »
Marcus LoVett was a question mark from the start which is why no schools were really recruiting his despite his skill level. For a first year coach who needs to make a splash in recruiting he is a recruit you roll the dice on. From my understanding he has everything he needs taken care of but the verification of this all takes time. It's a crappy imperfect system.

Dave, thank you for sharing that. Zack wrote that St.John's is expecting an answer early "next week" which is actually right about now. Any idea where that information originated from? Has the staff been in touch with the clearinghouse, or are they just hopeful to hear news today or tomorrow?

Tha Kid

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14096496/ucf-knights-freshman-tacko-fall-prepared-sue-ncaa-waiver-not-granted

The NCAA is getting out of hand.  Between LoVett, Diallo, and now TACKO who is an engineering student and seems to be no academic question mark at all - quite the opposite - what are they trying to prove?

Honestly, is this system and process even needed?  If they graduated HS, their SAT/GPA sliding scale is fine, and colleges are willing to accept them and they are taking and passing legitimate college classes, who the F cares about whether one of them took a lab if offered freshman year of HS.

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »

Dave, thank you for sharing that. Zack wrote that St.John's is expecting an answer early "next week" which is actually right about now. Any idea where that information originated from? Has the staff been in touch with the clearinghouse, or are they just hopeful to hear news today or tomorrow?

I'm not aware of exact specifics but I'm sure they needed to verify maybe one more piece of info and they thought it would be resolved by now.

hnk

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
Don't forget Yakwe.........on another point sometimes the questions aren't related to academics.

« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
It's too bad about Tacko. Kid has overcome a lot already.

« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
I hear Diallo may be hiring a lawyer to deal with NCAA. That may be next step for Lovett if there is no resolution this week.

Tha Kid

« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
I hear Diallo may be hiring a lawyer to deal with NCAA. That may be next step for Lovett if there is no resolution this week.

Tacko hired a lawyer too.

goredmen

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
It absolutely amazes me that more kids don't choose to go overseas for the year after they graduate high school and when they would be eligible for the draft. Get paid, play higher competition, don't have to deal with NCAA nonsense, won't hurt your draft stock if you play well.

NCAA keeps this nonsense up they are setting themselves up to either be dropped by the power 5 or have a semi-professional league step in that will pay these kids to play 30 games in the year before they are eligible for the draft.

It won't take much longer before kids that have no intention of getting a college degree realize that they have almost nothing to gain at all from playing to college for one or two years compared to their other options