Missing Pieces Longer term

• 208 replies

Moose

Re: Missing Pieces Longer term
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
Yesterday you were optimistic...today feisty.

I told you that you were wrong calling me optimistic.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »
Sorry, but thinking we get all three and have two in the bag is optimistic.....and so is thinking we are better off with three smallish point guards....you may end up being right...but it's optimistic.

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
Diakite was actually a McD AA, who I don't remember playing a great game. Curtis Johnson I remember playing a great game against Notre Dame at the Garden. The other guys, you're right. Not two good games among all of them.

Diakite wasn't a McDonald's AA.  He played in the Capitol Classic.  He was a top 50 recruit, but wasn't invited to the burger game.

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
 I feel pretty good about future of St. John's backcourt. Some good sub 6' guards in Big East this year: Tyler Lewis, Mo Watson, Traci Carter, Jevon Thomas (transfer)

Nova, X, and Georgetown are teams with bigger backcourts.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
Me too....it would just be nice to have one bigger point guard.  I think that's hard to argue with.....sort of like wanting a couple of nice T-shirts and a hoodie.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:03:43 PM by hnk »

Moose

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
Me too....it would just be nice to have one bigger point guard.  I think that's hard to argue with.....sort of like wanting a couple of nice T-shirts and a hoodie.

How big was Quinn Cook? Tyus Jones? Shabbaz Napier? Ryan Boatright?  Those are the guards for the last two Champions

hnk

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »
All listed at 6/1 or 6/2 .....according to Wiki.  Let's argue about this some more.  I  say if possible, all things equal, it's better to have size in basketball.

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
All listed at 6/1 or 6/2 .....according to Wiki.  Let's argue about this some more.  I  say if possible, all things equal, it's better to have size in basketball.

While I prefer taller guard ( >6'3 than < 6) ultimately talent outweighs everything. If a 6'4 guard is same as 6'2 guard talent wise the 2in isn't going to mean much.

All of St. John's guards can make plays off the bounce and are quick. I like how the team is shaping up.

hnk

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2015, 04:44:09 PM »
Agree. Do you have a bunch of small tees you're trying to get rid of?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:44:58 PM by hnk »

Poison

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
Diakite was actually a McD AA, who I don't remember playing a great game. Curtis Johnson I remember playing a great game against Notre Dame at the Garden. The other guys, you're right. Not two good games among all of them.

Diakite wasn't a McDonald's All American. He was by far the most overrated recruit of the Jarvis period.

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
Draymond Green 6'7
Tristian Thompson 6'9

Both made the NBA Finals, both make 14.26 mil this season, and both very good players. I don't think the 2 inches would dismiss Draymond Green from not being mentioned in same breathe as Tristian Thompson. Some might argue he's even better.

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Agree. Do you have a bunch of small tees you're trying to get rid of?

Sure. Will that fit you?

Foad

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
Me too....it would just be nice to have one bigger point guard.  I think that's hard to argue with.....

If Ponds Lovett and Mussini split 80 minutes that's 27 minutes each. Who's minutes does the guy who's 3 inches taller get and how many?

Moose

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »

I wish Jamal Murray was here.

TONYD3

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »

Diakite wasn't a McDonald's All American. He was by far the most overrated recruit of the Jarvis period.
He was terrible. But he is a very cool guy. I have had drinks with him a few times.

boo3

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Draymond Green 6'7
Tristian Thompson 6'9

Both made the NBA Finals, both make 14.26 mil this season, and both very good players. I don't think the 2 inches would dismiss Draymond Green from not being mentioned in same breathe as Tristian Thompson. Some might argue he's even better.

Draymond is much better than Tristan Thompson....much

hnk

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »
X has four guys over 220...3 over 238...and 4 or 5 over 6/9.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2015, 06:01:50 PM »
I agree that's where we are hopefully likely to be.....and that leaves us with great talent (including Ponds, Yakwe)...but two very small point guards and no wide body inside.  Owens seems like a great kid from watching him on sidelines etc, but he's a finesse player.  I wish we had a little more size (lbs.)......so we don't get muscled by the good teams.....By the way, I think Bashir will be a good rebounder,,,but I'd still hope for  a little more size.

Owens is not a finesse player. He's all hustle and bounce.

I agree. He reminds me of Trevor Ariza.

I'm afraid you are going to be very disappointed then.

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
X has four guys over 220...3 over 238...and 4 or 5 over 6/9.

2 of them play more than 5 mpg

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:18 PM »
I agree that's where we are hopefully likely to be.....and that leaves us with great talent (including Ponds, Yakwe)...but two very small point guards and no wide body inside.  Owens seems like a great kid from watching him on sidelines etc, but he's a finesse player.  I wish we had a little more size (lbs.)......so we don't get muscled by the good teams.....By the way, I think Bashir will be a good rebounder,,,but I'd still hope for  a little more size.

Owens is not a finesse player. He's all hustle and bounce.

I agree. He reminds me of Trevor Ariza.

I'm afraid you are going to be very disappointed then.

He's a poor man's Hakim Warrick