Missing Pieces Longer term

• 208 replies
Re: Missing Pieces Longer term
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2015, 01:56:31 PM »
I think it would be good to have both....agree priority should be a wide body.  Let me put it this way: going forward the ideal situation is not to have all little point guards.

I hope we don't recruit our PG's based on their height. Give me a more talented PG over a taller one any day. I agree that height can be beneficial to a PG, but it's not something I would focus on in recruiting one guy over another.

hnk

« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »
I'm not against all little point guards....just having only little point guards.....Kris Dunn, AJ English, Smith-Rivera, Koenig, Gary Payton, Murray, Yogi Ferell, Frank Mason, Melo Trimble...there's about 50 of them......smaller pt. guards should be lightening quick.....

Just saying in an ideal world, we'd have at least one bigger point guard...maybe over time Malik can fill that role.  By taller I assume you mean legit 6/1 or taller  our guys are probably 5/11 or shorter.

Moose

« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »
I'm not against all little point guards....just having only little point guards.....Kris Dunn, AJ English, Smith-Rivera, Koenig, Gary Payton, Murray, Yogi Ferell, Frank Mason, Melo Trimble...there's about 50 of them......smaller pt. guards should be lightening quick.....

Just saying in an ideal world, we'd have at least one bigger point guard...maybe over time Malik can fill that role.  By taller I assume you mean legit 6/1 or taller  our guys are probably 5/11 or shorter.

I'm not picking a fight.  Just asking who you like that is 'bigger'  To me a guy like Yogi is the same as Mussini and Lovett.  If you are talking Dunn yes.  Murray, yes.  Trimble yes.  If you are talking 6'3 and up sure.  Not a lot of them around.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
Yogi is six feet...180lbs and is the smallest guy on the team....

Moose

« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »
Yogi is six feet...180lbs and is the smallest guy on the team....

I shouldnt keep fueling this fire.  But if you are quoting his size that is documented than guess what?

Mussini 6'1  160
Lovett 6-0  180

So I'm not following this anymore.  If you believe one set of numbers believe them all.

hnk

« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
You ignore the basic point...one is fine.....two is not so good.....three could be a problem.......Lovett is not 6-0 standing on your head.  What did you think of Phil Greene?

Moose

« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »
You ignore the basic point...one is fine.....two is not so good.....three could be a problem.......Lovett is not 6-0 standing on your head.  What did you think of Phil Greene?

Two is not so good.  Yeah it never worked out for Uconn when they had Napier and Boatright.  Yogi (who I also don't think is 6 ft 1) is the starting PG and plays what 30 plus minutes a game. Who spells him?  I don't know who their backup is.  We are playing both at the same time.  We had to build a team out from the scraps your boy left behind.  I guess we could have had the 6'4 enigma but he bolted.  In 5 years (yes LONG TERM) we are still competing with 2 small guards there is an issue.  I guess why mention the missing pieces in the long term when we arent even 1 full year in?

What did I think of Phil Greene?  Are you talking his height?  His game or his attractiveness?  I'll save that last one for Carmine

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »

Lovett is 6 foot and taller than yogi
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Moose...read the first post on this topic......no need to apologize for your rant.

Moose

« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
Moose...read the first post on this topic......no need to apologize for your rant.

Rant?  haha

No college roster is perfectly constructed.  Not even Kentucky is to be honest.  I personally want shooters.  I dont care if they look like Mussini or Duncan from Boise State.  Top of my head I don't think we are going after and tall PG's or wide bodies.  Hope that changes for you!

cjfish

« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
to quote the great Mugsy Bogues, "basketball isn't for tall people, it's for basketball players."

goredmen

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2015, 05:14:37 PM »
This isn't the NBA. Small point guards can and have thrived in college basketball. The point guards on probably the two best teams in the country are under 6 feet tall

hnk

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
That's true but the great/good teams have a mix of little and larger point guards.....that's all. 

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
You people argue over everything!

MCNPA

« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »

Last four of the last five national champions...Duke Quinn Cook and Tyus Jones 6'0 and 6'2" respectively.  , Uconn with Napier and Boatright at 6'0" and 5'11 if that.. Louisville the year prior with Russ Smith and Petyon Siva both at 6'0".  2011 national champs Uconn with kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier at 6'1" and 6'0".   The generalization about height is not accurate in college backcourts.  In fact four of the last five national  champs did it with all their backcourt starters under 6'2".  Only one that had slightly taller was UK's loaded Anthony Davis team.    So maybe that means your "two is not so good", really means that two is really excellent?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:54:01 AM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »

Last four of the last five national champions...Duke Quinn Cook and Tyus Jones 6'0 and 6'2" respectively.  , Uconn with Napier and Boatright at 6'0" and 5'11 if that.. Louisville the year prior with Russ Smith and Petyon Siva both at 6'0".  2011 national champs Uconn with kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier at 6'1" and 6'0".   The generalization about height is not accurate in college backcourts.  In fact four of the last five national  champs did it with all their backcourt starters under 6'2".  Only one that had slightly taller was UK's loaded Anthony Davis team.    So maybe that means your "two is not so good", really means that two is really excellent?

Oh stop

:)

hnk

« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
Rumor on other site has  graduate transfer Anthony Livingston of Ark. St. in the mix and he'd fill the muscle man need nicely. 

derk

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
Rumor on other site has  graduate transfer Anthony Livingston of Ark. St. in the mix and he'd fill the muscle man need nicely. 

Size please

hnk

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
Supposedly legit  6/8 ...230lbs.

goredmen

« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »

Hope so, looking at his stats on KenPom and he looks like he'd be a really solid guy.

398th in Offensive rebounding rate
180th in Defensive rebounding rate
86% from the line
48% 2 pt FG%

He went for 18 and 22 in their last game against Ark Little-Rock which is a really good team