Staff Evaluation

• 203 replies

Moose

Re: Staff Evaluation
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »
Criticizing the current staff may be unfair. But they are getting the big bucks. Constantly stating that we have the hardest working staff in the country and the future is guaranteed seems just as silly . No fan wants Mullin to lose. We are all rooting for him.

And yet you refused to criticize Lavin?

Did you have a come to Jesus moment in the last 9 months?
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
I did critize Lavin . When we lost and played poorly. I criticized him when we played that stupid zone, i criticized him when he played those so called shooters who couldn't play.
I did not and have not criticized him for this year, Because I never got the chance. He was fired. If he were the coach in year 6 and we finished with 4 conference wins or fewer. I would not be making any excuses for him.
I am very aware of what our former coach was, And I was not against firing him for something better. I have not seen anything better. Have you???? A fan can be only so positive after going 0- for the conference

« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
I did critize Lavin . When we lost and played poorly. I criticized him when we played that stupid zone, i criticized him when he played those so called shooters who couldn't play.
I did not and have not criticized him for this year, Because I never got the chance. He was fired. If he were the coach in year 6 and we finished with 4 conference wins or fewer. I would not be making any excuses for him.
I am very aware of what our former coach was, And I was not against firing him for something better. I have not seen anything better. Have you???? A fan can be only so positive after going 0- for the conference

Yes a coach that recruits which Lavin once did and than stopped until it was too late.

Moose

« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »

I think you're re writing history.
But let me get back to enjoying the season as you think I am.

Poison

« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »

Spot on. Lavin made his share of mistakes, but this season is on him like the Pittsburgh scandal is on Jarvis.

boo3

« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
This might be the worst St Johns team ever. 

"There is always next year" .....should be a St Johns fans motto.

Poison

« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »

Kevin Clarke beats this lot by 25. Darryl Hill drops 35.

« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:42 PM »
We don't have any supremely talented individual players (although some have potential to be very good).  Yet, we don't really play any team ball either.  Passing is horrendous and it is hard to identify any defined offensive scheme.  That is the danger of having a young team and an inexperienced staff.  The odd thing is that this is the same team that looked as prepared, disciplined and well coached against Syracuse as just about any St. John's team that I've watched in my 40 years as a fan.

Positive spin: The worse we look this year, the worse Syracuse fans have to feel about losing to us.  😆
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:19:13 PM by simplyred »

Foad

« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »
I did critize Lavin .

"Lavin gets blamed for not recruiting . Is that his job?"

LOL.

Poison

« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:40 PM »
We don't have any supremely talented individual players (although some have potential to be very good).  Yet, we don't really play any team ball either.  Passing is horrendous and it is hard to identify any defined offensive scheme.  That is the danger of having a young team and an inexperienced staff.  The odd thing is that this is the same team that looked as prepared, disciplined and well coached against Syracuse as just about any St. John's team that I've watched in my 40 years as a fan.

Positive spin: The worse we look this year, the worse Syracuse fans have to feel about losing to us.  😆

If another coach is dumb enough to zone us for the entire game, we stand a good chance. We have no ball handlers, so we can't handle pressure. See can't pass the ball, so we really have no way to deal with it. SU just dared us to shoot. That strategy had worked pretty well for them.

TONYD3

« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
I did criticize Lavin .

"Lavin gets blamed for not recruiting . Is that his job?"

LOL.
Ufoad- that was taken out of context, that post as I remember it was not praising Lavin by any means. I agree Lavin looks like a mental patient

boo3

« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »

Easily.  I'm ok with kids going through their lumps as freshman, but, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't watched all the games, but there is zero improvement.  And that is the players and coaches.. Very uninspiring .   What do we even run on offense?

« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:53 PM »

Easily.  I'm ok with kids going through their lumps as freshman, but, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't watched all the games, but there is zero improvement.  And that is the players and coaches.. Very uninspiring .   What do we even run on offense?
pro style offense. just wish the we didn't use the 76'rs

« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2016, 09:39:03 PM »
I will question the allegiance of any so called Johnny "fan" that criticizes this coach EVER...PERIOD!!!  :down:

« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
I wish most games weren't 20 pt blowouts. Would love to see what the staff does in a close game. Use of timeouts, subs, etc. Kind of a moot point when you are getting your arse handed to you.

SJUFAN

« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
We need talent, that is what the staff has to focus on. This year has been ruff, mostly because many on this board treat every SJU signing as if they are All-Americans before they play their first scrimmage. That in turn inflates others expectations as they don't realize many no not of what they speak. This isn't a good team, they were picked last for a reason. We do have a couple of good pieces to build upon, more will be coming in next year and then we can start to truly evaluate the staff. Year three is were we should be competing for a NCAA birth.   

redslope

« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »
While this season has been quite distressful, I guess the preseason pick of us as last in BE was correct.  There was a lot of excitement with Chris' appointment as coach but in retrospect I don't know who could have coached this group to better results. 

I look at this as similar to Phil Jackson with the Knicks.  He was considered a savior and then the Knicks were dreadful in year one but Phil was stuck with the hand he was dealt.  Now we see in year 2 considerable improvement as he has improved the mix of players and gotten Melo to act more as a teammate than a one dimensional, self centered player.  I hope that we will similar growth in year 2 and realize that growth is a process not an overnight occurrence.

Poison

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
Criticizing the current staff may be unfair. But they are getting the big bucks. Constantly stating that we have the hardest working staff in the country and the future is guaranteed seems just as silly . No fan wants Mullin to lose. We are all rooting for him.

Actually, Tony criticized Lavin plenty. Fairly, IMO.

Moose

« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

Actually, Tony criticized Lavin plenty. Fairly, IMO.

I don't recall it that way to be honest.

« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »
On the concept of building,

First off, what are our chances of getting  any or  all of the combo of Alkins, Fraudenberg, and Thon considering just how bad the season has went so far? No one was expecting miracles, but this is really the pits, lets be honest with ourselves those are top notch recruits. I legit only seeing us beating DePaul out of whats left and even that will be tough.  Opposing coaches have a billboard of material to hit us with right now in the ever important closing aspect of recruiting.

And say we miraculously got all or some of them. Whose to say next season will be useful if the staff does not know how to use them or if they are 1 and dones no matter the outcome of the season? We are in worse recruiting position if the talent is there but we don't produce going forward. I think alot actually is riding on next season, more than what people think....