Nova Game

• 86 replies

Poison

Re: Nova Game
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
I hate to criticize any college player but Balamou is beyond awful. Forget what Lavin did with red shirting or not. Kid just is not a big east player. I am happy he stuck it out and will get a ton of playing time his last year, but I can't wait till upper class men are gone.
If he sucks, why did he did he earn a redshirt? 5th year scholarships are earned. You say he sucks and wish him gone. I agree. Not sticking up for Lavin and not abusing Felix . The kid got a scholarship. Played 4 years and should graduate. Nothing wrong was done to him. If he was better he would have played more.
We all don't have to think the same. But this theory that Felix was abused is crazy. Felix should be able to graduate for free. And he will get a chance to play professionally. Geno, Alpha, and Marco B. Are playing for pay somewhere.

With all due respect Tony, I believe he got the fifth year at sju cause we needed bodies to fill a roster. Imo, he was exactly what was needed this year. A body and a upperclassmen.  I was as big a Lavin fan as his biggest supporters.  Been a fan of sju for 30 something years and came to sju to play a sport because it was a school I was a huge fan of.  My point is, the kid on any other roster would never play and shouldn't play. Regardless of earning a red shirt or not. To be honest imo, he was brought in to help recruiting to help the pipeline with the hs he came from.  At the time he came, I don't think it was a bad recruit. Kid just isn't a big east player.  If the kid plays professionally, I wish him the best of luck.

This is his 4th year. Lavin cost him his redshirt year, he would've had one more if he didn't get screwed.

That much is true, Lavin did cost him a redshirt year, but what about the opportunities that he's had to earn minutes on teams that really could have used a defensive stopper? He got playing time last year, and he's getting plenty this year, but he's simply ready for the competition. When he was recruited, he wasn't a top rated talent, but he didn't come out of nowhere. It's an unfortunate example of a player not improving.

Let's hope the new staff can do a better job of developing talent.

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »
I hate to criticize any college player but Balamou is beyond awful. Forget what Lavin did with red shirting or not. Kid just is not a big east player. I am happy he stuck it out and will get a ton of playing time his last year, but I can't wait till upper class men are gone.
If he sucks, why did he did he earn a redshirt? 5th year scholarships are earned. You say he sucks and wish him gone. I agree. Not sticking up for Lavin and not abusing Felix . The kid got a scholarship. Played 4 years and should graduate. Nothing wrong was done to him. If he was better he would have played more.
We all don't have to think the same. But this theory that Felix was abused is crazy. Felix should be able to graduate for free. And he will get a chance to play professionally. Geno, Alpha, and Marco B. Are playing for pay somewhere.

With all due respect Tony, I believe he got the fifth year at sju cause we needed bodies to fill a roster. Imo, he was exactly what was needed this year. A body and a upperclassmen.  I was as big a Lavin fan as his biggest supporters.  Been a fan of sju for 30 something years and came to sju to play a sport because it was a school I was a huge fan of.  My point is, the kid on any other roster would never play and shouldn't play. Regardless of earning a red shirt or not. To be honest imo, he was brought in to help recruiting to help the pipeline with the hs he came from.  At the time he came, I don't think it was a bad recruit. Kid just isn't a big east player.  If the kid plays professionally, I wish him the best of luck.

This is his 4th year. Lavin cost him his redshirt year, he would've had one more if he didn't get screwed.

Which of next year's recruits would you sacrifice to keep Felix for another year?

TONYD3

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »
I would sacrifice no recruit. And that is not being a jerk. I hope Felix becomes a doctor, lawyer, or anything he wants. If he wants to continue playing basketball, I also wish him luck. Just because it was posted and reposted that he lost his red shirt and harmed doesn't make it it true.
Felix was offered a scholarship, accepted it, and benefited from it.

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »

Which of next year's recruits would you sacrifice to keep Felix for another year?

Not saying I would want him around for another year, but he could've played somewhere in his 5th year, be it here or somewhere else, and got a free Master's degree too if he didn't get screwed out of a year.

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »
They played Nova even for a half and the final score wasn't too bad.  That's really the best we could have hoped for with the awesome recruits on hand. 

redslope

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »
Did not think we would cover--maybe covering a game is going to be goal for rest of the season

goredmen

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2016, 08:43:57 PM »
Marcus LoVett ‏@Marcus_LoVett  3h3 hours ago
Keep calm SJU fans this ain't gonna last forever😉😝🤘🏾

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
WTF???...now Slice is even wearing running sneakers with his 3pc pinstripe suit.

Found my answer...it was Coaches vs. Cancer Suits & Sneakers week

http://coaches.acsevents.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CVC_FY12_Suits_Sneakers

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
That quote might be the best thing to come from today, lol

Marcus LoVett ‏@Marcus_LoVett  3h3 hours ago
Keep calm SJU fans this ain't gonna last forever😉😝🤘🏾

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
The ballas are coming...just don't get too worked up over this year.

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
I just got that strange feeling Wood about to have a career game against us just to stick it to St. John's because he almost came here.

jr49

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »

I don't think Felix got the coaching he needed. I think he has more guard skills then Ellison and should have been further along. That said, he might not have ever been a BE type player.

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
WTF???...now Slice is even wearing running sneakers with his 3pc pinstripe suit.

Found my answer...it was Coaches vs. Cancer Suits & Sneakers week

http://coaches.acsevents.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CVC_FY12_Suits_Sneakers

This comes up every year, with someone taking shots at the coaches before realizing why they are doing it.  Lavin, of course, was more dedicated to the cause and continued to wear them after his bout with cancer.  Btw, Jay Wright's Armani suit (I'm assuming) didn't look as sharp with the sneakers.

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »

I don't think Felix got the coaching he needed. 

Why did Felix not get the coaching he needed if Jakarr, Mo, D'lo, Dom, Jordan, Phil and Chris got the coaching they needed?

ras

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2016, 07:25:23 PM »

Why did Felix not get the coaching he needed if Jakarr, Mo, D'lo, Dom, Jordan, Phil and Chris got the coaching they needed?
Your comparing 4 star recruits to a 2 star recruit, who was probably recruited to help w the OSNA pipeline.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »

Your comparing 4 star recruits to a 2 star recruit, who was probably recruited to help w the OSNA pipeline.

Wasn't Felix a 3 star recruit, and borderline top 100?

hnk

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
He was/is one of Diallo's best friends.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
He was/is one of Diallo's best friends.

His best friend is 4 years younger than him?

MCNPA

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »
The ballas are coming...just don't get too worked up over this year.

Agree here.  We take a huge step forward in talent next year.  Truly huge step.  We also retain all that is right on this team which are some very good freshmen in Yakwe, Sima, Mussini, Lovett and even Ellison who I think has upside.  Very happy to have two forwards back in Jones and Alibegovic who have made real strides this season.  They will add a lot of depth to our group of forwards.  Next year is when this team really starts to move forward with two loaded classes of freshmen and sophs...

hnk

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:29 PM »
Both from Mali...both from OSNA.....etc......talked everyday....