Retiring Numbers

• 35 replies
Retiring Numbers
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:53:12 PM »
I don't think St. John's has an official policy on number retirements, but Mullin's number is never given out. and I don't see Jackson's circulated either. There may be others too that I failed to name.  Do you think D'Angelo should or will receive that treatment someday considering he was a four year player and our third leading scorer of all time? It just feels weird seeing that number on Owens (or any other) because of all Dee gave to the program with his energy and production during the 4 years.  Of course there were bumps along the way as he matured, but its the end and his legacy that I feel should count for something.

Re: Retiring Numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »
Good player, high scorer, 4 years but I don't see him transcending time to consider his # officiallly retired or unofficially  or "Bobble head worthy" like Mullin, Sealy or Coach C.

Way too soon to see how involved he gets with the future program by supporting it or being asked to support by staff and administration.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:03:05 PM by RedStormNC »

Moose

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »
Good player, high scorer, 4 years but I don't see him transcending time to consider his # officiallly retired or unofficially  or "Bobble head worthy" like Mullin, Sealy or Coach C.

Way too soon to see how involved he gets with the future program by supporting it or being asked to support by staff and administration.

Can you imagine all the tattoos on that bobblehead?

What will our proper fan base do?
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
I don't think St. John's has an official policy on number retirements, but Mullin's number is never given out. and I don't see Jackson's circulated either. There may be others too that I failed to name.  Do you think D'Angelo should or will receive that treatment someday considering he was a four year player and our third leading scorer of all time? It just feels weird seeing that number on Owens (or any other) because of all Dee gave to the program with his energy and production during the 4 years.  Of course there were bumps along the way as he matured, but its the end and his legacy that I feel should count for something.

I loved Harrison but if we are retiring numbers of guys that made it to one NCAA tournament and didn't get a tourney win in their 4 years here that is setting the bar a little low

Wods317

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
Harrison is one of my favorite players. Hardworking and gritty kid who could score in a bunch of different ways but I don't think he is the type of player that has their number retired and I don' think it is even that close. As the previous poster said the teams he was on didn't have much success. Very good scorer and leader as well as being a fan favorite but I don't think he an all time great.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »

I loved Harrison but if we are retiring numbers of guys that made it to one NCAA tournament and didn't get a tourney win in their 4 years here that is setting the bar a little low

We are St. John's.

I don't think the bar can get any lower than it already is.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Statistically, one of the best scorers all time in a program that has had its share of scorers. First two years there was a lot of immaturity. Last two years, zero post season victories.

If we want to retire D'Lo, why not Obekpa? Greatest shot blocker all-time in the program, same post season record. If Owens or anyone else can pick up tournament victories with D's number, that's cool.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:45:07 PM »
Statistically, one of the best scorers all time in a program that has had its share of scorers. First two years there was a lot of immaturity. Last two years, zero post season victories.

If we want to retire D'Lo, why not Obekpa? Greatest shot blocker all-time in the program, same post season record. If Owens or anyone else can pick up tournament victories with D's number, that's cool.

Come on guy, Harrison probably never won a tournament game because of Obekpa. Harrison was great and if we had a team of five guys with his heart and pride we would never lose. Do I think his number should be retired? No. Should he be honored as an all-time great? Absolutely.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
I doubt too many outside the SJU crowd remember  Harrison
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:16:24 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 10:39:39 PM »
We cannot overlook the fact that he was a 4 year player and our third leading scorer of all time. Good 4 year players are rarer these days and the fact he is third all time with all the greats that have come through this school should count for something. At least not give the number out right away out of respect is all I am saying if it cannot be retired. And there are many a games he won for us even if we had some post season bad luck during much of his time here. Even his last game as a Johnnie in that tournament you could tell he left it all on the court. They all did but he stood out that game, not quitting even though he knew end was near.

And to Baldi's comment I have spoken to many that are not part of the SJU crowd that I have come to know. And I tell them about my involvement with the team and many of  them know Harrison when they think of St Johns basketball in the modern day. I make a point in asking them if they have ever heard of him and I have gotten more "Yes" than you would expect.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 11:31:04 PM »
After some more thought, I seem to put him in the same bucket as Felipe Lopez.  Similar stats, 4 year player, well liked and will be remembered but perhaps short of legendary especially post season.

Curious - what was your involvement with the team?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:41:31 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »

If we want to retire D'Lo, why not Obekpa? Greatest shot blocker all-time in the program, same post season record.

Seriously?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »
Yea the post-season is what keeps him from passing the eye test completely but otherwise a pretty stellar career that ought to be recognized.  Honestly post-season is important but much of that was out of his control, guarantee if he had more tourney appearances and the NCAA didnt screw us for 3 out of his 4 years  he would have led us far.

I was a former manager

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
Yea the post-season is what keeps him from passing the eye test completely but otherwise a pretty stellar career that ought to be recognized.  Honestly post-season is important but much of that was out of his control, guarantee if he had more tourney appearances and the NCAA didnt screw us for 3 out of his 4 years  he would have led us far.

I was a former manager

Screwed by the NCAA?

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »
Jakarr drama, Amir late arrival, Orlando drama, Keith Thomas and Adonis nonsense. The system is broke. Lets look at the timeline.

-Jakarr comes late means that Moe ends up being 1 and done. Good chance would have both for 2 years if he came as a freshman with less pressure on Moe and Dee. Amir full summer and first semester wold have helped and maybe would have put us over top for those close losses against Arizona and A&M as a freshman.

-Orlando drama was absolute nonsense, should have been able to play right away and it took Shabazz lawyer to get him to play.

-Keith Thomas and Adonis-They were big bodies that we definitely could have used especially to help absorb Obekpa loss. They would not have been studs right away except maybe Keith but at least big bodies to get some rebounds that we needed. Another big problem I had with there situation and also Orlando-eve of first game they say not eligible like where the hell was this in August or even September to at least allow us to gameplan. Also what the hell is a partial qualifier? Can practice but cannot play?
 The NCAA needs reform is the bottomline and they were a part of the letdowns of the past few seasons.

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
Jakarr drama, Amir late arrival, Orlando drama, Keith Thomas and Adonis nonsense. The system is broke. Lets look at the timeline.

-Jakarr comes late means that Moe ends up being 1 and done. Good chance would have both for 2 years if he came as a freshman with less pressure on Moe and Dee. Amir full summer and first semester wold have helped and maybe would have put us over top for those close losses against Arizona and A&M as a freshman.

-Orlando drama was absolute nonsense, should have been able to play right away and it took Shabazz lawyer to get him to play.

-Keith Thomas and Adonis-They were big bodies that we definitely could have used especially to help absorb Obekpa loss. They would not have been studs right away except maybe Keith but at least big bodies to get some rebounds that we needed. Another big problem I had with there situation and also Orlando-eve of first game they say not eligible like where the hell was this in August or even September to at least allow us to gameplan. Also what the hell is a partial qualifier? Can practice but cannot play?
 The NCAA needs reform is the bottomline and they were a part of the letdowns of the past few seasons.

Kids need to straighten out their act. Some go to 3 schools before even getting out of high school and expect their transcripts to be aight

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »

If we want to retire D'Lo, why not Obekpa? Greatest shot blocker all-time in the program, same post season record.

Seriously?
No, not seriously but I wrote that to make a point. The only valid reason to consider retiring D'Lo's number is because he was a top scorer in the history of St Johns. He was a pain in the ass his first two years. Then after the John Lucas camp, he got his head on straight.  And, in the last two years, no post season victories.

Who are worthy of getting their numbers retired who played the past thirty five years? Mullin, Mark Jackson, Walter Berry/Malik Sealy. No brainers. Next level for consideration would be, in my opinion, Ron Artest and  Felipe Lopez, maybe even Lavar Postell. You could even throw Wennington into the mix. Except for Lopez, all these guys have Elite 8 or better experience and played for teams that were ranked and won. Legends have their numbers retired, winners have their numbers retired. especially in New York.

I'm not a hater on D'Lo. But if we are going to retire numbers based on accumulating statistics, then that returns us to my point of Obekpa. It sounds foolish, and it is foolish. If that group went NCAA soph year, Sweet 16 junior year and even another NCAA their senior year, then retiring D'Lo is a slam dunk. The truth is, he was the leading scorer of an under achieving group.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:35 PM »

Seriously?
No, not seriously but I wrote that to make a point. The only valid reason to consider retiring D'Lo's number is because he was a top scorer in the history of St Johns. He was a pain in the ass his first two years. Then after the John Lucas camp, he got his head on straight.  And, in the last two years, no post season victories.

Who are worthy of getting their numbers retired who played the past thirty five years? Mullin, Mark Jackson, Walter Berry/Malik Sealy. No brainers. Next level for consideration would be, in my opinion, Ron Artest and  Felipe Lopez, maybe even Lavar Postell. You could even throw Wennington into the mix. Except for Lopez, all these guys have Elite 8 or better experience and played for teams that were ranked and won. Legends have their numbers retired, winners have their numbers retired. especially in New York.

I'm not a hater on D'Lo. But if we are going to retire numbers based on accumulating statistics, then that returns us to my point of Obekpa. It sounds foolish, and it is foolish. If that group went NCAA soph year, Sweet 16 junior year and even another NCAA their senior year, then retiring D'Lo is a slam dunk. The truth is, he was the leading scorer of an under achieving group.

Sima was blocking just as many shots as Cloud of Smoke Chris this year. 

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 10:04:46 PM »
You could say Obekpa sparked the defense.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 12:27:18 AM »
Tariq Owens already has his number.

But I would have held it out. 3rd all time leading scorer in program history is nothing to scoff at.