All time team

• 81 replies
Re: All time team
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 01:00:46 PM »
Jayson Williams deserves a mention -- was one of our all-time dominant players in his final year.

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 01:03:09 PM »
Way before my time but wasn't Bob Zowaluk a big time center and leading scorer in the 50's?

I had read once he went pro, had injuries then lost his way overall with a few run in's with the law, some money and drug issues and died a few years ago.

Foad

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
Jayson Williams deserves a mention -- was one of our all-time dominant players in his final year.

Might have been until he broke his leg.

cjfish

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »

Might have been until he broke his leg.

No essay the last two games.   I Know you would rather write from a cynical position of hatred but your essay is missed....you can write baby.  How about an essay on the all-time greatest SJU players.  I am amused by some of the younger guys choices.  I remember fondly the Killer, Tony Jackson. The Whopper, Ellis and many other pre-1980, pre-AAU guys who could flat out play.     

Foad

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
I Know you would rather write from a cynical position of hatred       

It's not a choice, it's a way of life.

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »

Until we can actually win a game just keep a running diary of the other shows you switch to when we are 0 for our last 18 or what you are drinking during the games.  Like half way through your recap just start recapping the Godfather or something.

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »

Until we can actually win a game just keep a running diary of the other shows you switch to when we are 0 for our last 18 or what you are drinking during the games.  Like half way through your recap just start recapping the Godfather or something.

"The greatest shooter in school history since Mullin misses a three and is now 1-8 for the game and SJU trails 54-43...... Carlo in a great bit of acting goads Connie into calling Sonny who is then ambushed at the causeway"

BTW the guys that Tom sent after Sonny were like right behind him when they left the Corleone compound. How did Sonny beat them to the causeway by like 10 minutes? That always bothered me.

Foad

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
"The greatest shooter in school history since Mullin misses a three and is now 1-8 for the game

So far it's like watching Sergio Luyk II: This Time it's Personal on Beta Max

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »
"The greatest shooter in school history since Mullin misses a three and is now 1-8 for the game

So far it's like watching Sergio Luyk II: This Time it's Personal on Beta Max

Marco Bourgualt too. Hopefully Geman kid breaks streak of foreign shooters who don't shoot well

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
My best 5 would be  Mullin, Alan Seiden, Tony Jackson, Ron Artest, and Walter Berry, with Mel Davis very close behind.
It is really hard to pick the best players over a lengthy time but I looked at is as the best possible competitive team.  This is my 5.
I would love to hear anyone's  "all heart" team as over the years. Some guys, like Matt Brust, whose numbers weren't the best but, if you have decided on a best  team of all time, the first guy off the bench would be him..They were guys who were covered in floor burns.but who will never get a pennant hanging in Carnesecca.
My group would include Brust, D'Angelo Harrison, Gus Alfieri, Charles Mineland , and Eugene Lawrence and I am starting to feel good about the amazing heart of Felix Bellameux (sp?)

I will never forget Brust, D'Angelo Harrison, Gus Alfieri, 

ras

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 07:56:01 PM »
My best 5 would be  Mullin, Alan Seiden, Tony Jackson, Ron Artest, and Walter Berry, with Mel Davis very close behind.
It is really hard to pick the best players over a lengthy time but I looked at is as the best possible competitive team.  This is my 5.
I would love to hear anyone's  "all heart" team as over the years. Some guys, like Matt Brust, whose numbers weren't the best but, if you have decided on a best  team of all time, the first guy off the bench would be him..They were guys who were covered in floor burns.but who will never get a pennant hanging in Carnesecca.
My group would include Brust, D'Angelo Harrison, Gus Alfieri, Charles Mineland , and Eugene Lawrence and I am starting to feel good about the amazing heart of Felix Bellameux (sp?)

I will never forget Brust, D'Angelo Harrison, Gus Alfieri, 
Some of those guys were before my time. I would pick Mullin, Berry, Seally,Artest and Mark Jackson. Re, Baldis comment about Dom being a pro, his weakness is shooting. If he were a couple of inches taller he would make a nice PF. That said, he still may make the NBA.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:00:43 PM by ras »

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
Was watching the SNY Invitational and they said that Cardozo coach, Ron Naclerio, was a good player at STJ.  Led the team in steals evidently.  I just can't find anything about him as a player here.  Can't even find out what years he played.  Does anyone remember him?  All time winningest coach in the PSAL.

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:02 AM »
Maybe at the Prep he is not listed in the  All Time Basketball Roster in the media guides!

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 12:48:07 AM »
I think Naclerio played baseball.  Stolen bases maybe?

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:57 AM »

Yep.  He played baseball.

derk

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »
Was watching the SNY Invitational and they said that Cardozo coach, Ron Naclerio, was a good player at STJ.  Led the team in steals evidently.  I just can't find anything about him as a player here.  Can't even find out what years he played.  Does anyone remember him?  All time winningest coach in the PSAL.

Led the nation in stolen bases before an injury, or so he says

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
Played on the JV or freshman basketball team and was a poor man's Frankie Alagia. Played baseball also which is the steals to which they referenced.

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »

Yep.  He played baseball.

He used to play in men's softball leagues all over Queens too up until about 10 years or so ago. Could still be playing for all I know

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Guys, thanks.  Mike Quick made it sound as if it was basketball.  Annoying.

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »
Center - Billy "The Whopper" Paultz
Power Forward - Walter "The Truth" Berry
Small Forward - Chris "Mullie" "Coach" "The Legend" Mullin
Shooting Guard - Joe Depre
Point Guard - Mark Jackson