Max Hooper

• 25 replies
Max Hooper
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:21:20 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/111297/meet-oaklands-max-hooper-who-only-shoots-3s

They talked about him on sports center tonight and I found they published this a few days ago...a little upsetting when someone does this after leaving, especially someone like him. I knew and hung out with a lot of the guys on that team and hooper always rubbed me the wrong way, I think that shows in his quotes in the article. Either way, this sort of validates lavin. Or maybe jakarr. Or maybe all those practice videos we saw.

Re: Max Hooper
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 12:29:47 AM »
He was not a Big East caliber player. I think we saw enough of him to realize that. He's playing at the right level for him.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:35:14 AM »
He was not a Big East caliber player. I think we saw enough of him to realize that. He's playing at the right level for him.

He's only able to shoot threes. But the difference between him two years ago, and now, is that now he makes them. Hopefully Mussini can contribute like this in 3 years.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:52:44 AM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:08:08 AM »
He also has the best college point guard in the country on his team (yes, better than Kris Dunn) that the defense has to focus on which allows Hooper to get better looks

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:03:51 AM »
Hoopers been in college for 22 years

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
He is a smart kid.  He knows the only route to the show is via his 3 point shot.  We could have used him for sure this year...but I doubt we'd be .500 with him.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
He is a smart kid.  He knows the only route to the show is via his 3 point shot.  We could have used him for sure this year...but I doubt we'd be .500 with him.
Still would be winless.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
Hooper has made 100 threes this year. 21 of those have come in 4 games against 2 teams (Milwaukee and Green Bay) where the three teams combined for 750 points in 160 minutes. I'd like to see what he could do against a better defensive team like for example the Washington Generals.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
Hoopers been in college for 22 years

Longer than Amile Jefferson?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »

Or maybe he wasn't used properly.  The old regime never ran him around screens or ran a play for him (or for pretty much anybody).  I've watched 2 of Hoopers games this year (including yesterdays) and they're well coached.  They bring him weakside to take away a help defender whop you know won't help off of him and every few plays they run him around or through multiple screens.  I think he could've been useful here if he played for a competent coaching staff that knew how to use him.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »

Or maybe he wasn't used properly.  The old regime never ran him around screens or ran a play for him (or for pretty much anybody).  I've watched 2 of Hoopers games this year (including yesterdays) and they're well coached.  They bring him weakside to take away a help defender whop you know won't help off of him and every few plays they run him around or through multiple screens.  I think he could've been useful here if he played for a competent coaching staff that knew how to use him.

I respectfully disagree
He is a one trick pony and was being defended by much better athletes than he sees now
He had difficulty getting a shot off while at St John's and couldn't guard anyone
Max would give up more points on the defensive end than he could ever score himself

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »
His inbound play at Alumni cost us an Ncaa tournament bid that year.  Minus this one play - Hollywood goes an astounding 3 for 5 and we don't have a living legend coach that sits on the scorer's table.

So there's that.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
His inbound play at Alumni cost us an Ncaa tournament bid that year.  Minus this one play - Hollywood goes an astounding 3 for 5 and we don't have a living legend coach that sits on the scorer's table.

So there's that.
And what genius of a coach put him in that position when he wasn't running multiple pick plays for him? And where was the triangle to inbound the ball?

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:09:15 PM »

I respectfully disagree
He is a one trick pony and was being defended by much better athletes than he sees now
He had difficulty getting a shot off while at St John's and couldn't guard anyone
Max would give up more points on the defensive end than he could ever score himself

I agree with you that he wasn't a good defensive player that was here but if you watch him play at Oakland you'll see that he's guarded EXTREMELY tight there and gets off and makes shots with a hand in his face often.  He actually has very good reach with his arms and uses it well with a high release point.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Our former head coach could have also figured out how to make the tournament with 2 top 35 kids as PGs, a SG who finished in top 5 in scoring in school history, a bunch of wings/forwards who are either playing in the NBA, were drafted, or played in the D-league, and one the most prolific rim protectors in college bball that year.  Don't think that should have been too much to ask.

So there's that.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »

So there's that.
And what genius of a coach put him in that position when he wasn't running multiple pick plays for him? And where was the triangle to inbound the ball?

Well I think the Prince of Philly was either MIA that night or benched.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
The biggest mistake Hooper made was transferring from Harvard because that would have looked a lot better on a job resume

Moose

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:55 PM »
The biggest mistake Hooper made was transferring from Harvard because that would have looked a lot better on a job resume

He won't ever have to worry about struggling to find a job

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 09:06:16 PM »

oh I forgot. Rich father or something like that ?

Moose

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »

oh I forgot. Rich father or something like that ?

Music industry tycoon