Depaul game thread

• 193 replies
Re: Depaul game thread
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 12:35:04 AM »
Yakwe, Ellison, Mussini and Sima ALL played well. A formula for success when the frosh are playing well. Durand had a good night, Felix, Amar even though he was benched in the second half for #reasons.

Only player who had a real off night was Ron.

Awesome for these guys to get a win. So fun to experience one live again. Let's keep it going Sunday huh?!

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 07:05:58 AM »
Yakwe, Ellison, Mussini and Sima ALL played well. A formula for success when the frosh are playing well. Durand had a good night, Felix, Amar even though he was benched in the second half for #reasons.

Only player who had a real off night was Ron.

Awesome for these guys to get a win. So fun to experience one live again. Let's keep it going Sunday huh?!
Great to get a win! What happened with amar? He hit a three (1 for 3 I think) and had that nice putback, dished a nice pass to sima, then didn't play. He also had a terrible turnover, but we had a bunch of those, so I figured it was injury.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »
Another good game for Ellison. He's starting to look like the player I thought he'd be. Still needs to make better decisions with ball in his hand.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »
Another good game for Ellison. He's starting to look like the player I thought he'd be. Still needs to make better decisions with ball in his hand.

Must admit I was skeptical about your opinion on him earlier, but appears you may be right. Moose reminded me of your positive prognosis on Bentil of PC also. Double kudos on that one Dave!

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »

He plays confidently. Even when he was playing awfully
 Big guard and can handle the ball. Shot needs to be totally overhauled but since we will have 3 really small guards next year, he will get a chance to play next year.

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
Was watching last night and thinking of yakwe running the wings with lovett leading the breaks. Gonna be some high octane fun.

derk

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
Why we won

We removed the curse of the name change!!

The cheerleaders were in retro cheerleading outfits and one of them got by the "PC police" and had on a "Redmen" outfit--to me their outfits brought back memories of good times--loved the pleated skirts.:)

Any reason for the retro outfits ?

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
Mussini really knows how to get out and run off a break. Not with the ball but without it. He will get so many buckets when playing with a real pg or two. 

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
Mussini really knows how to get out and run off a break. Not with the ball but without it. He will get so many buckets when playing with a real pg or two. 

He got a few layups last night against an nonathletic team. Finishing is going to be a problem for him. I have nothing against him and I love that he hasn't pouted since his time has been reduced. I do question how much he can or will contribute on a good team though. Just my assessment.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
Mussini scoring seems to be consistent in our wins.  17 in the second half (many from charity stripe but they all count).  Yakwe is going to be a good one - relentless motor even when getting beaten up physically (this will change for the positive over time).  I credit the crowd which still showed and backed the effort.  Nice to see Wenington, Mase jr., and Tarik (among others) at the game.

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »

Big guard and can handle the ball. Shot needs to be totally overhauled but since we will have 3 really small guards next year, he will get a chance to play next year.

I dunno, his shot is sort of similar to dangelo's, pretty low release and sort of comes from the waist. The form doesn't seem great, but even at the beginning of the year he wasn't missing badly. I say let him continue to work on it but don't "overhaul" it

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »

I dunno, his shot is sort of similar to dangelo's, pretty low release and sort of comes from the waist. The form doesn't seem great, but even at the beginning of the year he wasn't missing badly. I say let him continue to work on it but don't "overhaul" it

Pretty unique almost a two handed push shot by his forehead. They pretty much leave him open so he only has to shoot wide open shots. I am pretty sure Mullin and Ritchmond cringe at everyone's form outside of  Mussini.

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »

He got a few layups last night against an nonathletic team. Finishing is going to be a problem for him. I have nothing against him and I love that he hasn't pouted since his time has been reduced. I do question how much he can or will contribute on a good team though. Just my assessment.

Ive mentioned it a few times before. You can tell he has been running the wing for a while, gets out wide and takes good angle to the rim once he receives the ball.  Opposed to our other guys who run in line with the ball and leave themselves no angle to get to the rim. Of course it doesnt help that our passing is very limited. I think lately Mussini has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to getting foul calls too. Ill stick to my prediction that no matter who is on the team, if Mussini gets 20 minutes a night he'll average double figures.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »

Ive mentioned it a few times before. You can tell he has been running the wing for a while, gets out wide and takes good angle to the rim once he receives the ball.  Opposed to our other guys who run in line with the ball and leave themselves no angle to get to the rim. Of course it doesnt help that our passing is very limited. I think lately Mussini has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to getting foul calls too. Ill stick to my prediction that no matter who is on the team, if Mussini gets 20 minutes a night he'll average double figures.

If Ponds is really good, no shot that happens

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »

Very happy we won. Happy with mussini last night. Kid played his heart out. If he plays he can and will score. The goal is to win not him score double digits. Not saying he should never play a lot. But if that is the gameplan we lose more then we win.

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
Mussini has all the tools that just cant be taught.  Smarts, can shoot and will lead by example.  The two aspects he needs to work can come over time if he puts the time in.  He will get stronger and quicker as he gets older.   I would much rather him need the latter of the two.  Will never be an elite athlete but he is going to be a really good 4 year player.    IMO, the type that many of us have wanted for years.

Kid shoots around 87% from FT line too.  A huge plus for staying on the court late in a close game.

Moose

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »

Very happy we won. Happy with mussini last night. Kid played his heart out. If he plays he can and will score. The goal is to win not him score double digits. Not saying he should never play a lot. But if that is the gameplan we lose more then we win.

Hey buddy

How did Darrick Wood do compared to Ellison ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »

[/quote]

What, Mussini getting 20 minutes?  No matter how good Lovett and Ponds are, and you're talking to perhaps their biggest fan, Mussini is going to play. Might not start, might not get 30 minutes, but he will play. And if he plays 20 minutes he will average doubled digits. He's not gonna be out there for his defense, he going to be out there to score. Takes 7 shots makes 3 of them, thats 6-7 pts, hits 2-3 ft's and hes at 10.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:42:54 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »

What, Mussini getting 20 minutes?  No matter how good Lovett and Ponds are, and you're talking to perhaps their biggest fan, Mussini is going to play. Might not start, might not get 30 minutes, but he will play. And if he plays 20 minutes he will average doubled digits. He's not gonna be out there for his defense, he going to be out there to score. Takes 7 shots makes 3 of them, thats 6-7 pts, hits 2-3 ft's and hes at 10.
[/quote]

If Ponds and Lovett are legit, I think Mussini plays as much as his shot dictates. I don't think he gets set minutes. If he is hitting his shots he plays. Team will be better next year and defense will be more of a concern.

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »

Hey buddy

How did Darrick Wood do compared to Ellison ;)
Very happy to be wrong.