Depaul game thread

• 193 replies

TONYD3

Re: Depaul game thread
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2016, 11:16:30 PM »
If you think incarnate wood a a mid major. I say wow. They didn't just beat us they killed us. I am well aware of our talent and lack of. However Felix, Durand, or Amar or anyone on our roster would be all conference in what ever shitty conference they are in. Lavin left 3 players and open scholarships that were filled with 3/4 star recruits. Plenty of talent to beat a cupcake like incarnate wood. They shot the lights as you say partly because we weren't prepared for their shooters . Maybe if they were recognized earlier they wouldn't have hit so many.
The staff did a great job today on whitehead. They did an awful job that day. Their PF of If I remember hit like 4/5 3's. If I remember correctly many were wide open.

Poison

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »
Serial infidelities?

Rico Hines, who evidently spent much of his time watching himself fornicate, rather than game film.

Michael Jordan fathered children all over the world.

If Rico Hines was one of the greatest assistant coaches who ever lived I'd have forgiven him his peccadilloes.

Not everyone can live up to the moral example that St.John's would like to us to believe they have set.

Poison

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »
If you think incarnate wood a a mid major. I say wow. They didn't just beat us they killed us. I am well aware of our talent and lack of. However Felix, Durand, or Amar or anyone on our roster would be all conference in what ever shitty conference they are in. Lavin left 3 players and open scholarships that were filled with 3/4 star recruits. Plenty of talent to beat a cupcake like incarnate wood. They shot the lights as you say partly because we weren't prepared for their shooters . Maybe if they were recognized earlier they wouldn't have hit so many.
The staff did a great job today on whitehead. They did an awful job that day. Their PF of If I remember hit like 4/5 3's. If I remember correctly many were wide open.

I think after the SU win, the players started to believe that they were way better than they were. I still can't believe we won that game. The only thing that makes sense is that Mike Hopkins is the second coming of Norm Roberts.

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »
I've found it tiring to follow along with the above arguments. Better to not get into the cage with posts like that. Just one thing though.  The schedule is really good.  And what's with everyone's preoccupation with Incarnate Word.  They're a solid mid major program.

Incarnate Word is not a mid major. A mid major is Wichita State, Gonzaga and Northern Iowa.
Really?  There's only three mid majors in the country?  You picked the three best in the country.  You must be really, really, objective.

Every program that isn't an obvious high major doesn't automatically fall into the category of mid-major. Mid-major means that you play in one of the middle level conferences but you are capable of competing at a major level. How exactly does Incarnate Word warrant that kind of respect?

They are clearly one of the smallest, and of the least accomplished D1 programs in the game.
Poison, if by least accomplished, you mean the most recent addition to D1, then you are right.  But that doesn't mean they are "garbage" this season.  They are about the 43rd percentile this year.  There must be a lot of garbage in D1 then.  Go look at some of the RPI's of the opponents of some other high majors.

Also, I have to disagree with you're definition of mid major. I think mid major means you don't play in a high major conference but you still have a mid level RPI.  Or a mid major conference is one that is near the mid third of D1.  You don't necessarily have to be in a mid level conference though.  Stony Brook, for example, is a mid major even though they play in a weak league.  Their RPI is consistently somewhere near the middle of the pack in D1. So they are simply "mid major".

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »
Next years presumable roster can be compared to lavin's 3rd year presumed roster (Sanchez & Marco + all the fresh and sophs) IMO.  Let's see how those results come out.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2016, 11:43:41 PM »
Yes, I said they were ahead of us, then, but it would be totally different now. I actually thought IW was pretty good and their RPI backs that up.  They're middle of the pack in D1.  Also, the way teams match up with each other is important.  We were not closing out on shooters early in the season, and that efficient, quick, picking and popping they were doing; we couldn't cover it. It would be different now as we've had some time under the new staff. IW obviously targeted that weakness and prepared for it. But Mullin can't work on everything all at once. ( He  is thinking longer term). And if we were spending more time on that, then there'd be less time to work on something else.  And even when they got briefly open you still have to knock them all down and they did.  As far as the holdovers go, they had almost as many DNP's as they had points scored.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:14:22 AM by WillieG »

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2016, 11:50:36 PM »
Next years presumable roster can be compared to lavin's 3rd year presumed roster (Sanchez & Marco + all the fresh and sophs) IMO.  Let's see how those results come out.
Not really, Mase, because this staff only had 90 days to recruit their first class.  Lavin had a year.  So Mullin is a year behind the curve.  And now they have fewer roster spots for their next classes, which of course, they have more time to recruit.

Poison

« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2016, 11:55:27 PM »
I've found it tiring to follow along with the above arguments. Better to not get into the cage with posts like that. Just one thing though.  The schedule is really good.  And what's with everyone's preoccupation with Incarnate Word.  They're a solid mid major program.

Incarnate Word is not a mid major. A mid major is Wichita State, Gonzaga and Northern Iowa.
Really?  There's only three mid majors in the country?  You picked the three best in the country.  You must be really, really, objective.

Every program that isn't an obvious high major doesn't automatically fall into the category of mid-major. Mid-major means that you play in one of the middle level conferences but you are capable of competing at a major level. How exactly does Incarnate Word warrant that kind of respect?

They are clearly one of the smallest, and of the least accomplished D1 programs in the game.
Poison, if by least accomplished, you mean the most recent addition to D1, then you are right.  But that doesn't mean they are "garbage" this season.  They are about the 43rd percentile this year.  There must be a lot of garbage in D1 then.  Go look at some of the RPI's of the opponents of some other high majors.

Also, I have to disagree with you're definition of mid major. I think mid major means you don't play in a high major conference but you still have a mid level RPI.  Or a mid major conference is one that is near the mid third of D1.  You don't necessarily have to be in a mid level conference though.  Stony Brook, for example, is a mid major even though they play in a weak league.  Their RPI is consistently somewhere near the middle of the pack in D1. So they are simply "mid major".

IMO, and I do understand that there isn't a hard line anywhere on this subject, but Stony Brook isn't a mid-major either. They have a long way to go before they'd reach that level. Teams that play in the Horizon, the MAC etc to me, are real mid majors. The entire league has tough competition throughout. There is no cupcake.

« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2016, 12:06:59 AM »
Fair points and opinions, but watching IW play, I think they deserve respect.  They execute, they have some athletes, and they can shoot.  They also play hard.  Especially that night.  There's so much worse in D1 then them.

« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »
The team would not be this bad if Lavin were still the coach .... don't pretend you know what would have happened

I'll just let this lay there.

Mix and matching sentences on different subjects is "fun"

But presumably not as much fun as telling other people not to pretend to know what might have happened while you yourself are claiming to know what might have happened.

If you really want to break it down, I said unquestionably Lavin would be better than 1-13 in conference. Any argument against that is just naive.

The part you took out of context where I stated "don't pretend to know what would have happened" was specifically in regards to the question of whether Obekpa and/or Jordan would be back under Lavin. If you use your reading comprehension skills, I also did not pretend to know if they definitely would or would not have returned.

TONYD3

« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:31 AM »
Fair points and opinions, but watching IW play, I think they deserve respect.  They execute, they have some athletes, and they can shoot.  They also play hard.  Especially that night.  There's so much worse in D1 then them.
Agreed. But this St. John's team at that time should have been better. Even with what that devil Steve Lavin did to the program. The current staff are not volenteering. They are being paid well to learn on the job with very little expectations. Their has been noticeable improvement . They are going to have to improve quite a bit more next year . Or you may lose your blaming the next season on the previous coaching staff.
Also you seem to be the only one bringing this game up, why?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:34:34 AM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »
Not everyone can live up to the moral example that St.John's would like to us to believe they have set.

Personally I don't care if Hines was licking marinara off Lavin's double chins, it was his newlywed wife who got pissed. A poster said something about Lavin haters being more concerned about the staff's personal lives than the product on the court. As a Lavin hater non pareil I suggested there might be a parallel between the mess on the court and the chaos in their personal lives. Promiscuity takes a lot of time, effort and will power and then afterwards there are all those tapes to edit. Doesn't leave a lot of time for mentoring the children you're supposed to be educating. That's all. Morality doesn't enter into it.

Foad

« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2016, 07:22:03 AM »
If you really want to break it down, I said unquestionably Lavin would be better than 1-13 in conference. Any argument against that is just naive.

The part you took out of context where I stated "don't pretend to know what would have happened" was specifically in regards to the question of whether Obekpa and/or Jordan would be back under Lavin. If you use your reading comprehension skills, I also did not pretend to know if they definitely would or would not have returned.

Yeah, what you said was "don't pretend you know what would have happened", not "to know" what would have happened. So I didn't really take it out of context so much as quote it accurately. As opposed to, "you know," changing the words to something else, which is what you did. Which seems almost, "you know," dishonest.

So anyway.

"The team would not be this bad if Lavin were still the coach."

See, that is surmise, presented as fact: Jordan would have been back, and Obekpa, and maybe Diallo would be here and Sampson would contribute right away and the rest of them would have improved to the extent they approved under this staff and therefore the team would not be that bad. Here's my surmise: Jordan was already ineligible, Obekpa was out the door, Diallo was never coming here, Sampson is a bust, and the two mediocre recruits Lavin brought in would both have been ineligible along with Lovett. The starting team would have been Jones, Alibegovic, Balamou and Miles Stewart and Jay Henderson, both of whom would have been on scholarship. And it would be naive of anyone to think otherwise.

See? You permit yourself to pretend to know what would have happened in one circumstance - because you're not naive like those who don't believe your surmise - you advise the other guy that he should not "pretend you know what would have happened" in another circumstance.  In other words, you can pretend to know but not him. Which is quite a lame argument.

Pretty good reading comprehension skills, huh.

« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2016, 09:04:08 AM »
Not really, Mase, because this staff only had 90 days to recruit their first class.  Lavin had a year.  So Mullin is a year behind the curve.  And now they have fewer roster spots for their next classes, which of course, they have more time to recruit.

Just talking about the rosters.  Not how long it took to get them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »
Agreed. But this St. John's team at that time should have been better. Even with what that devil Steve Lavin did to the program. The current staff are not volenteering. They are being paid well to learn on the job with very little expectations. Their has been noticeable improvement . They are going to have to improve quite a bit more next year . Or you may lose your blaming the next season on the previous coaching staff.

Perhaps this was all part of a plan to have the team playing its best ball in February? I hear that's what good coaches do.

TONYD3

« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2016, 09:40:16 AM »

Perhaps this was all part of a plan to have the team playing its best ball in February? I hear that's what good coaches do.
I understand your joke I get it and laughed. Seriously though playing well in February isn't a bad thing.

Foad

« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2016, 10:05:29 AM »

I understand your joke I get it and laughed. Seriously though playing well in February isn't a bad thing.

Thank you. I am turning over a new leaf in my quest to win Miss Congeniality. I have already mastered swim suits and am working on my talent, yodeling.

I agree that playing well in February is great - as long as you play well enough in December to be playing in March.

paultzman

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »
I am and always be a Mullin guy no matter what happens but that last play was awful!

+100

Poison

« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »

Last two seasons, Lavin had his teams playing their best ball in February. It was March that they shat the bed.

Foad

« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »
Last two seasons, Lavin had his teams playing their best ball in February. It was March that they shat the bed.

I don't disagree with that. But ideally teams should play their best ball all the team and peak in March. Playing crappy ball in December so that it looks like you're playing your best ball in February is not something that many good teams do.